Buying Clothes that's too small

Options
13»

Replies

• tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If I find something that I absolutely LOVE and it's a little too small and a good price, yes, but as a general rule, I don't really. I have kept all of my clothes that I've gotten too big for over the past couple of years. I'm set on jeans and dresses all the way down to about 160 for me, and they're all jeans that I still like the style of, and dresses that I'm super excited to wear again. Once I get to 170-ish, I'll probably start shopping again as, by that point, my closet should be getting pretty bare.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    8 years ago ,yes 8 years ago I bought two dresses (size 14 ) on sale at Sears hoping they would motivate me to lose weight ... I was in a size 20 at the time. in June of this year I was in a 24 .... I was looking through some boxes last month and found a whole bunch of cloths that were too small for me before and there they were ...and they fit .I wore one to My husbands Birthday dinner and it was lovely ..best 14 dollar dress ever !!!

most of the other cloths were from a cruise I took with my best fried years ago mostly spring time cloths and I think they will all be too big this spring.....

I still do buy cloths a size or two smaller ...but this time I get into them ...
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Buying them for motivation..............fine.

Unfortunately there are WAY to many females I see buying them and wearing them out there in public and they shouldn't be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So true , I do a test ... If I think something looks good I go ask my 19 y/o daughter .... She knows what I mean when I ask her if it looks decent .... like does my tummy pouch out ...are my hips too big for this dress.. I told here she needs to tell me the truth because I don't want people laughing at me and sometimes my eyes dont see the truth fo some reason . I have started to take pictures because for some reason I can see it better in a picture ....
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just bought some new work clothes (suits and some pants). I got them in a size smaller than my currently smallest clothes. However, they did fit -- just a bit snug. I think they will be perfect when just 3-5 more lbs are lost. I wouldn't buy clothes I would have no hope of getting into in the very near future.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought a bikini on clearance last summer which technically fit but didn't look good on me at that physical state. I've used it to gauge my progress, "would I actually wear this in public? Yes or No?".

I recently bought a pair of jeans at the thrift store as 'goal jeans'. Again, I could squuuuueeeezzze into them, but no way would be comfortable to walk around in.

I wouldn't buy a whole 'hope' wardrobe, but I think having non-scale ways to gauge progress is helpful.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Buying clothes that are slightly too small in a charity shop = great motivation & doesn't cost a lot. (Charity shop = thrift store in America, op shop in Australia). You can pick up fab clothes in great condition - some are still new, with tags - I imagine someone who never made it to that size having a clear out. The best shops are clean and well organised with the stuff on offer arranged by type, size and colour. I LOVE them - and at (typical prices) £1.50 - £4 for tops and sweaters, £3 - £5 for trousers the prices are amazing!!

I've found that as I lose weight the choice available increases. I have my "aspiration pile" arranged in the order that I think I will fit into it & try things on every few weeks. I walk around in stuff off the pile & that's a great feeling!!

When I'm in a charity shop I'm looking out for stuff that I like that will fit now, and also for things a size or so smaller.

^^^ This. Some Goodwill stores in the area stock some high end brands that are amazing deals, many with tags still on them. Pants for $4 and tops for $3, Talbots, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic. It's total Motivation for me.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have done it a time or 2 with jeans and also with shirts. I've been lucky enough to be able to get into them. I wouldn't want to go so small that I'd chance it and they'd never fit.

Also, when I do buy the ones that are too small, I am always getting them off the clearance racks.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I just asked a couple girls at work if they had any jeans I could borrow during my "mid sizes" I have 2 pairs of 16s and a 14 that I can't wait to get into!
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'll buy a few things that are a size or two too small but only at thrift shops or HELLACIOUS sales.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I ordered a shirt that was a medium knowing I wear a large and xl in the past....I got it in the mail tried it on for fun and it fit already I was shocked and very happy!I thought I was getting a size to small but it fit a little snug at first,but I kept working out hard and now fits a little loose(minus the chest area being loose!)
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've found that during my journey, I have bought smaller sizes with the hope to fit into them... but I slid right past them!! Now THAT is a waste of money. (For a good reason, anyhow.) I donated them to a local thrift store.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think it makes more sense when you're bigger than when you're smaller. When you reach the smaller side of things you have to lose a lot of weight/inches before you can go down a clothes size. I'm still wearing many of the clothes that I did when I started, they just fit a lot looser!

Of course if it's to remind you of your ultimate goal I can see how it would be motivating.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of jeans that were slightly too small. They were really expensive, I was losing weight with no problem and didn't want to be stuck with an expensive pair of jeans that were too big.