Holy eff...

Options
I am getting pretty annoyed., I am trying to lose weight and all I hear are don't's. Don't eat dairy, don't eat meat, don't eat carbs, don't eat fruit, don't eat certain vegetables, don't this and don't that. Than what CAN I do?!!? I want to eat a little of everything and can not see how eating say fruit or dairy will make me fat. Wouldn't having a bowl of fruit for snack be better than a muffin from Tim Hortons? A glass of milk better than an ice cap? Too many diets out there and too many different opinions, starting to not only annoy me but confuse me, does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. Eat what you want in your budget unless you know you have a health issue with a certain food. I regularly eat fast food, love Iced Capps from Tim Hortons and think chocolate is a food group. I've lost and been maintaining my goal weight at 19% BF for 2 years now. You don't have to eat a special diet to lose. No need to be miserable or drive your friends and relatives nuts with your "food plan".
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want at a deficit. It's as simple as that.

People apparently like to make things complicated when really it's quite simple!!

Don't restrict your diet unless for a medical condition.

As long as you are at a deficit you will lose in the end. Besides, are you gonna remove all those things from your diet for the rest of your life? probably not. Better just build a healthy relationship with food and learn how to enjoy the things you love in moderation. In the long run it will be much more sustainable than restricting :smile:
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lol chocolate should be a food group. It is annoying oh no carbs, no fruit, not this, not that, its hard to survive eating chicken and salad all day everyday.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different ways of doing this. Some people don't eat carbs (or at least try to eat as few as possible); some people are vegetarian/vegan; some do high-protein. Everyone has a different viewpoint on what should (and shouldn't) be eaten, and so no one can really tell you what to eat or what not to eat.

Having said that: don't make it overly complicated. Eat well (whatever that means for you!), don't totally deprive yourself of the things you love, and get some physical exercise (and no, that doesn't mean you have to "work out"; even walking is fine, as long as you're moving!) And have patience (which, for me, is the hardest part about it.)

Good luck! :)
  • Blakewc
    Blakewc Posts: 106
    Options
    Good morning

I am going to take the other approach. Do eat a lot of those things. It sounds like your not eating enough, or at least at the right times. When it comes weight loss the science of it is simple really. Just eat 250 -500 calories less than you burn.

What time of the day do you get on the scale and weigh your self? Do you do any cardio? If so what do you do? Gym?
  • Blakewc
    Blakewc Posts: 106
    Options
    eating salad all day everyday, is not the way to loss weight. It's not about no or low carbs either. What is a carb, what does it do. What is it's main function.

Do you know your BMR?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. Eat what you want in your budget unless you know you have a health issue with a certain food. I regularly eat fast food, love Iced Capps from Tim Hortons and think chocolate is a food group. I've lost and been maintaining my goal weight at 19% BF for 2 years now. You don't have to eat a special diet to lose. No need to be miserable or drive your friends and relatives nuts with your "food plan".
    Me too, me too!!!! I think chocolate is a food group too!!!!

Spelling error
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I try to ignore them. If I hear something like "don't eat this," I will often go searching for the actual evidence on which it is based; 99% of the time the person making the recommendation misread the original study, overestimated the importance of the original study, is not reading the study in its proper context, is reading the study through the lens of dietary zealotry of one sort or another or is just talking out of his or her hind end.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The only don'ts that matter are: Don't eat more calories than you burn and don't starve yourself.

Ignore the rest.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Why you always beat me to it? :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • spm2010
    Options
    Good morning

I am going to take the other approach. Do eat a lot of those things. It sounds like your not eating enough, or at least at the right times. When it comes weight loss the science of it is simple really. Just eat 250 -500 calories less than you burn.

What time of the day do you get on the scale and weigh your self? Do you do any cardio? If so what do you do? Gym?

I haven't stepped on a scale in a while, I don't feel a difference and I don't feel like my clothes are looser. I do cardio daily, trying for 30 minute intervals 4x a week (2min walk 1 min run), I walk everywhere, and I have the Bowflex and do a weight routine 3 times a week.
  • spm2010
    Options
    The only don'ts that matter are: Don't eat more calories than you burn and don't starve yourself.

Ignore the rest.

Agree
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lol chocolate should be a food group. It is annoying oh no carbs, no fruit, not this, not that, its hard to survive eating chicken and salad all day everyday.

1. Figure out your TDEE. (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)
    2. Figure out your macros. ( Usually 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass, .33-.4g of fat per pound of bodyweight, the rest whatever you want)
    3. Eat whatever your hearts desire. (You don't get extra credit for eating healthy after meeting your macros.)
    4. Lose weight.

Yes it is that easy. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want! Just less...maybe substitute a few things for other things. For example, I loooove frappes but now I get a non-fat sugar free iced latte when I can't resist. Annnnd some days I have that dang frappe but I workout a little longer/harder or eat lettuce for dinner. It's just moderation and being careful and determined. Good luck!

Honestly, whole foods, prepared right, are absolutely phenomenal and filling. My secrets to success? Drink a glass of water before you eat and eat slowly. It's that easy.
  • spm2010
    Options
    eating salad all day everyday, is not the way to loss weight. It's not about no or low carbs either. What is a carb, what does it do. What is it's main function.

Do you know your BMR?

No idea what mt BMR is, how do I find out?
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    DO eat bacon. That's all you really need to know.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am getting pretty annoyed., I am trying to lose weight and all I hear are don't's. Don't eat dairy, don't eat meat, don't eat carbs, don't eat fruit, don't eat certain vegetables, don't this and don't that. Than what CAN I do?!!? I want to eat a little of everything and can not see how eating say fruit or dairy will make me fat. Wouldn't having a bowl of fruit for snack be better than a muffin from Tim Hortons? A glass of milk better than an ice cap? Too many diets out there and too many different opinions, starting to not only annoy me but confuse me, does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

You can eat all that stuff and lose weight.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier statement that everyone has their way of doing things. What works for me may not work for you. I try to eat anything I want, just a smaller portion. I actually count the Veggie Straws, I measure my wine, etc. Yesterday I was able to have about 4 oz. of a wonderful steak, 9 oz. of wine, and half a slice of New York style cheesecake, and I was still under my calories. Deprevation doesn't work for me. It works fine for some people.

You can eat everything you want, just make it fit into your calorie goal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I hear you, that's one of the reasons diets never worked for me in the past. DIET being the key word here because they were restrictive both in calories and nutrients. We're supposed to eat things like fruits and veggies and grains (given you don't have an intolerance) and meats and even fats! But a lot of people get crazy about weight loss and love to start telling you what NOT to do instead of being positive and explaining how to eat in a healthy way. Hell, there's a multi-million dollar industry built around trying to wrap our heads around getting fit and losing the fat. It's nuts...

And of course everyone things just because a certain diet worked for them, you should do it too. Nevermind the fact that it only worked for a few months and they gained all the weight back...