Holy eff...

Options

Replies

• colin_mccomb
    Options
    Just about a year ago I made myself a deal: I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I kept under 1500 calories/day. I lost 20 pounds in a couple of months (without going to the gym).

Since then, I've eased off the gas a little and added the gym, but the same principle applies. Control the calories, earn extra calories with exercise, and eat whatever kind of foods I want. If I want pizza, I have pizza, just 1 or 2 slices instead of 3 of 4.

This morning I felt like McDonalds. 1 sausage mcmuffin = about 320 calories. Not the most nutritious breakfast, but the calorie count is about right. And I don't eat that every day.

By the way, I'm now down 35 pounds and still going strong. This is the ONLY regime that has ever been successful for me long-term.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am getting pretty annoyed., I am trying to lose weight and all I hear are don't's. Don't eat dairy, don't eat meat, don't eat carbs, don't eat fruit, don't eat certain vegetables, don't this and don't that. Than what CAN I do?!!? I want to eat a little of everything and can not see how eating say fruit or dairy will make me fat. Wouldn't having a bowl of fruit for snack be better than a muffin from Tim Hortons? A glass of milk better than an ice cap? Too many diets out there and too many different opinions, starting to not only annoy me but confuse me, does this bother anyone else or is it just me?

I think you need to go poop.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Everyone body and metabolism is different for sure. As long as your burn it that's fine, but if you go over it will convert to something. You didn't address that issue, you just said "no, just no"

Care to elaborate to the rest of us
    Yes, if you eat more than you burn (over a period of time), the body will store it, most likely as fat.

What the "no. Just no" refers to is the idea that eating carbs before bed (even if you're in an overall deficit) will turn those carbs immediately to fat or affect body composition simply due to timing.

Please just stop. You'e wrong.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Everyone body and metabolism is different for sure. As long as your burn it that's fine, but if you go over it will convert to something. You didn't address that issue, you just said "no, just no"

Care to elaborate to the rest of us

This I agree with.

You were trying to make the argument that if one eats Carbs before bed that they would turn into fat, and that it was necessary to limit carbs before bed. The ONLY thing that matters is meeting your calorie and macro goal during your day. Break it up in any manner you'd like. If you want to eat all your protein for breakfast and all your Carbs for a midnight snack, you won't suddenly change your body fat percentages.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Law of Conservation of Energy. (calories in vs. calories out)

Eat whatever the hell you want. But... to be "healthy" and not just skinny, I would recommed fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean meats. Be an 80/20 person. Or a 90/10. Eat "clean" 80-90% of the time and eat whatever you want the remaining 10-20%.

The "no carb" thing is bogus but I doubt it'll ever go away. It's based on the thought process that carbs (mainly referring to simple carbs) will spike your blood sugar and will have a corresponding spike in insulin. People believe this spike in insulin (which is the fat storing hormone) will make our bodies store all that glucose in our fat cells rather than using it for energy. Well... studies have proven that all protein does the same exact thing. Especially whey protein, which spikes our blood glucose and insulin more than simple carbs. What's the point here? That if insulin spikes made us fat then all those bodybuilder out there in teeny tiny bikin's and speedo's would be fat, not fit.

TL;DR- eat whatever you wan, all in moderation.

I tried the Atkins, it made me crave ice cream and I hate ice cream lol. I think Ill do the 80-90% and have a splurge meal once or twice a week. I cant restrict myself yet everyone is saying I have to cut out everything and I am sick of hearing it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I ignore that nonsense (which it is) and stick to calories in and calories out and shock! It works. I eat some "evil" food everyday and keep losing. So don't worry, eat some bacon with eggs and cheese :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am sorry people, but you do.

Your body will uses a certain amount of energy while you sleep...so if you eat an excess of Carbs (more than you will burn at night) remember Carbs are just Energy. They WILL be stored as fat! If you don't 'burn the energy, what happens to it. Those Carbs aren't going to turn into muscle. Now True you DO NOT want to go to bed hungry, because then your body will start breaking down and eating your hard earned muscle. So what do you do before bed? Cottage Cheese is your best bet, a good source of slow burning protein that will fed your muscle through out the night.
    You are right...calories in calories out. If you eat all of your carbs and Sugars and still keep things under your BMR you will not gain weight. Your weight will stay the same!

You will just lose more muscle and develop more fat. So I stand corrected, eat what ever you want before bed if how you look isn't something that matters to you, and all you care about is the scale.

The+description++_f3aa6266a721ec21291ea5e0c906881c.jpg
  • Blakewc
    Blakewc Posts: 106
    Options
    You don't have to cut out everything or anything really. Just have to keep Track of how much you have. If you love Mc donnalds #6 10 piece chicken nuggents with large fry and a coke thats fine. That meal is around 1300 calories. So if you BMR is 1900 have at it. You just will be pretty hungry all day since you aren't going to eat much
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    weight loss is just math...you take in less energy (calories) than your body uses in a day...that's it...it's actually really simple. Example, my body requires roughly 2700 calories to maintain my current weight...these are the calories the my body burns just being alive...my day to day stuff...and then my exercise. So I cut about 500 calories from that per day to lose 1 Lb per week....thus I eat 2200 calories and lose about 1 Lb per week. It's very simple...

Also, just common sense...eat a balanced diet rich in nutritionally dense foods...don't overcomplicate what is not at all complicated. All of the confusion comes in from people trying to sell you something...a book, a diet, etc. Just use your common sense...like I say, eat like your grandparents used to eat and you should be ok.
  • servilia
    Options
    You are right...calories in calories out. If you eat all of your carbs and Sugars and still keep things under your BMR you will not gain weight. Your weight will stay the same!

You will just lose more muscle and develop more fat. So I stand corrected, eat what ever you want before bed if how you look isn't something that matters to you, and all you care about is the scale.

No just no. I regularly used to eat just at night and I looked great. Lol!
    Can you cite some sources that say that meal timing has such an effect on body composition?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You don't have to cut out everything or anything really. Just have to keep Track of how much you have. If you love Mc donnalds #6 10 piece chicken nuggents with large fry and a coke thats fine. That meal is around 1300 calories. So if you BMR is 1900 have at it. You just will be pretty hungry all day since you aren't going to eat much

OMG - but what if you eat that right before bed? What is going to happen??????????????????
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Your body will uses a certain amount of energy while you sleep...so if you eat an excess of Carbs (more than you will burn at night) remember Carbs are just Energy. They WILL be stored as fat! If you don't 'burn the energy, what happens to it. Those Carbs aren't going to turn into muscle. Now True you DO NOT want to go to bed hungry, because then your body will start breaking down and eating your hard earned muscle. So what do you do before bed? Cottage Cheese is your best bet, a good source of slow burning protein that will fed your muscle through out the night.

If you are at a deficit of energy it doesn't matter dude...a deficit is a deficit whether I eat my carbs before bed or not. Stop spouting nonsense. I've lost 40 Lbs just fine eating about 1/2 hour before bed (because that's when I have time) including all the carbs. I simply maintained a consistent deficit over time and lost about 1 Lb of fat per week...BTW, maintaining muscle is easy...get enough protein and lift like a boss.

Stop spouting BS.
  • Blakewc
    Options
    Well CM...like I said before. Your weight will stay the same, it's in the mirror you will see the difference over a period of time not the scale.
  • servilia
    Options

OMG - but what if you eat that right before bed? What is going to happen??????????????????

You're going to be a tub of lard, obviously :sad:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Well CM...like I said before. Your weight will stay the same, it's in the mirror you will see the difference over a period of time not the scale.

No. Just No.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

No. Just No.
    Well, at least you have that cute kitty face to look at in the mirror in consolation. ;-)
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lol chocolate should be a food group. It is annoying oh no carbs, no fruit, not this, not that, its hard to survive eating chicken and salad all day everyday.

1. Figure out your TDEE. (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)
    2. Figure out your macros. ( Usually 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass, .33-.4g of fat per pound of bodyweight, the rest whatever you want)
    3. Eat whatever your hearts desire. (You don't get extra credit for eating healthy after meeting your macros.)
    4. Lose weight.

Yes it is that easy. :flowerforyou:

It really is about the TDEE...but only if you are really HONEST about how much activity you do. I look at an hour of exercise as a "unit" since i cannot do an hour every day, i chose to tell fitness frog calculator that i am a 3 to 5 day exerciser - i was able to up my calories from what MFP says to eat and i am finally starting to lose again. i was on an 8 week STALL! Talk about frustrating!

A note from the dark side: I DO limit my carbs from refined sugar and starches. I eat fruit and potatoes, and rice, etc regularly...but I choose to say away from the refined "carby" items, NOT because I believe that carbs are "BAD" but because sugar/starch will unleash a binge every time! While I am trying to lose, I choose not to risk binging on a daily basis - that would be harder than not eating sugar at all! I will endulge occaisionally, at a party or an event that warrents it - birthday, thanksgiving etc...And I know that once I am closer to maintance, I will have to work on my relationship with sugar...but this is just for ME!! I know other people that can eat a square of chocolate every night after dinner and that is all they need - and good for them...I, on the other hand, would eat the entire BAG of chocolate then run down to 7-11 for another!!

To each, his own...eat it / log it / stay at goal...
  • Blakewc
    Options

If you are at a deficit of energy it doesn't matter dude...a deficit is a deficit whether I eat my carbs before bed or not. Stop spouting nonsense. I've lost 40 Lbs just fine eating about 1/2 hour before bed (because that's when I have time) including all the carbs. I simply maintained a consistent deficit over time and lost about 1 Lb of fat per week...BTW, maintaining muscle is easy...get enough protein and lift like a boss.

Stop spouting BS.

I'm with you Man, Lift like a boss. Your right about the Deficit. Something I said in one of my posts is "excess"
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need to cut out is things that you are allergic to or have an intollerance (like me) to. Otherwise if I want it, I eat it and I have lost 53 pounds. Calories in/calories out, that really is what it is all about!
  • Blakewc
    Options
    [/quote]
    Well, at least you have that cute kitty face to look at in the mirror in consolation. ;-)
    [/quote]

Lol.