Holy eff...

Options

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    duh....you have to eat clean, paleo, vegetarian, or vegan to lose weight around here.

eta: don't forget to cut out all teh devil's sugarz
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That tells me to eat 1,700 calories a day. I gain when I eat more than 1,300.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    eating salad all day everyday, is not the way to loss weight. It's not about no or low carbs either. What is a carb, what does it do. What is it's main function.

Do you know your BMR?

No idea what mt BMR is, how do I find out?

Refer to my thread above :wink:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Don't eat more calories than you burn. That's really the only don't you have to worry about.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Law of Conservation of Energy. (calories in vs. calories out)

Eat whatever the hell you want. But... to be "healthy" and not just skinny, I would recommed fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean meats. Be an 80/20 person. Or a 90/10. Eat "clean" 80-90% of the time and eat whatever you want the remaining 10-20%.

The "no carb" thing is bogus but I doubt it'll ever go away. It's based on the thought process that carbs (mainly referring to simple carbs) will spike your blood sugar and will have a corresponding spike in insulin. People believe this spike in insulin (which is the fat storing hormone) will make our bodies store all that glucose in our fat cells rather than using it for energy. Well... studies have proven that all protein does the same exact thing. Especially whey protein, which spikes our blood glucose and insulin more than simple carbs. What's the point here? That if insulin spikes made us fat then all those bodybuilder out there in teeny tiny bikin's and speedo's would be fat, not fit.

TL;DR- eat whatever you wan, all in moderation.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Each to their own. Some people stand by clean eating, others do IIFYM. You need to see which works for you. Good luck :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    relax.
  • Blakewc
    Blakewc Posts: 106
    Options
    I'm Greg by the way good to meet you.

First thing you need to find out how much you really weight. Just once really. Get on the scale just one time, first thing in the morning. Before food, water, with just your PJ's or what have you. BMR means (basic Metabolic rate) how many carolires you burn every day just by going to work, walking, having a beating heart etc. Then you factor in your exercise.

Myfitnesspal will do it for you. Just go to my goals, put in your TRUE weight, the amount of excerice you do, then click STAY AT SAME WEIGHT. Hit enter than see what is the Calorie Goal. That would be your BMR. To lose weight you just have to eat 250-500 calories less than that number...drink lots of water, and keep the soduim down. You will lose weight if you do that, it's impossible not to. You just have to count Calories. Thats why I love this Site.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. The most valuable lesson I have learned. :drinker:
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't have any food issues or allergies so I eat what I want as long as I am at my calorie goal for the day.
  • Blakewc
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating carbs, or chocolate (lol) for that matter. A Calorie is just a unit of energy, you need energy to live, beat your heart. Instead of always saying Calories people should say Energy instead.

Now you don't want to give you body more Energy when it's not going to uses it. " Carbs before bed" . Because then that Energy will be stored as fat. But other than that you need to have a certain amount of "energy" a day.

Make sense, don't listing to most of the crap that you hear about this and that, it's simple really.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Now you don't want to give you body more Energy when it's not going to uses it. " Carbs before bed" . Because then that Energy will be stored as fat. But other than that you need to have a certain amount of "energy" a day.

Eating before bed will not cause you to store fat. Your body doesn't have a clock that tells it to start storing energy after a certain time. Your body uses energy 24/7.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

LOL, what?

Timing of meals has absolutely no bearing on weight. Eat all your food and then flop in bed - it makes no difference whether it's Carbs, Fat, Protein or all of the above.

You don't need 5-6 meals a day either- unless you like that way of eating. Nothing wrong with it, just not necessary.

Calories in/ Calories out.

The end.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Now you don't want to give you body more Energy when it's not going to uses it. " Carbs before bed" . Because then that Energy will be stored as fat.
    Oy.

Don't. Just don't.
  • Blakewc
    Options
    I am sorry people, but you do.

Your body will uses a certain amount of energy while you sleep...so if you eat an excess of Carbs (more than you will burn at night) remember Carbs are just Energy. They WILL be stored as fat! If you don't 'burn the energy, what happens to it. Those Carbs aren't going to turn into muscle. Now True you DO NOT want to go to bed hungry, because then your body will start breaking down and eating your hard earned muscle. So what do you do before bed? Cottage Cheese is your best bet, a good source of slow burning protein that will fed your muscle through out the night.
  • Blakewc
    Options
    You are right...calories in calories out. If you eat all of your carbs and Sugars and still keep things under your BMR you will not gain weight. Your weight will stay the same!

You will just lose more muscle and develop more fat. So I stand corrected, eat what ever you want before bed if how you look isn't something that matters to you, and all you care about is the scale.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You are right...calories in calories out. If you eat all of your carbs and Sugars and still keep things under your BMR you will not gain weight. Your weight will stay the same!

You will just lose more muscle and develop more fat. So I stand corrected, eat what ever you want before bed if how you look isn't something that matters to you, and all you care about is the scale.
    Stop. Please stop.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I am sorry people, but you do.

Your body will uses a certain amount of energy while you sleep...so if you eat an excess of Carbs (more than you will burn at night) remember Carbs are just Energy. They WILL be stored as fat! If you don't 'burn the energy, what happens to it. Those Carbs aren't going to turn into muscle. Now True you DO NOT want to go to bed hungry, because then your body will start breaking down and eating your hard earned muscle. So what do you do before bed? Cottage Cheese is your best bet, a good source of slow burning protein that will fed your muscle through out the night.

No. Just No.

Cottage cheese is yummy and a nice bedtime snack.

So is toast.

Cereal.

Ice cream.

Pop tarts.

Ice cream ON pop tarts.
  • Blakewc
    Options
    Everyone body and metabolism is different for sure. As long as your burn it that's fine, but if you go over it will convert to something. You didn't address that issue, you just said "no, just no"

Care to elaborate to the rest of us