No Red Meat or Chicken for Weight Loss

Options
12346»

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Some days, I'm browsing the forums here and just feel like I'm drowning in an unstoppable tsunami.

keep fighting the good fight. I bet the 10 who ignore, 20 listen.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Some days, I'm browsing the forums here and just feel like I'm drowning in an unstoppable tsunami.
    Indeed!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I think this is a pretty ridiculous reason to completely stop eating beef and chicken. You can get humanely-raised, vegetarian-fed beef and poultry. At the end of the day, animals of these types are raised for slaughter, whether they're raised in a pasture or on a factory farm. Even in the wild, life is not a Disney movie for an animal, and I'm not exactly sure why people insist that it's supposed to be.

It drives me crazy to see poultry labeled as 'vegetarian fed'. Chickens are NOT vegetarian, they're omnivorous, and they need animal by-products to be optimally healthy and tasty.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book that (among other topics) describes how cattle, pigs, and chickens are mass produced for big food companies in big warehouses instead of free-range style. The descriptions made me want to give up meat and chicken, something I never thought I would do. I still haven't been able to eat a hamburger since I read about the conditions within these mass-production factories, so I decided to experiment with not eating any meat or chicken for the last five days while sticking to my allotted calories. In five days I lost four and a half pounds and I feel great. Any comments regarding this "experiment" I've done and am quite excited about?

That's great..but you COULD buy local humanely kept meats/poultry.
  • AmerH
    AmerH Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book that (among other topics) describes how cattle, pigs, and chickens are mass produced for big food companies in big warehouses instead of free-range style. The descriptions made me want to give up meat and chicken, something I never thought I would do. I still haven't been able to eat a hamburger since I read about the conditions within these mass-production factories, so I decided to experiment with not eating any meat or chicken for the last five days while sticking to my allotted calories. In five days I lost four and a half pounds and I feel great. Any comments regarding this "experiment" I've done and am quite excited about?

I sure wish people would read all the posts by the OP before replying. I had stated after my original post that I could not afford the price of range-free cattle and chicken. I found prices from a couple of companies; one sold such ground beef for $10 a pound. My family of four is on a very tight budget and without medical insurance (for now). We can't afford such high prices. I will continue to research any local farms, but so far haven't been able to find any. (And perhaps I'm overreacting to the capitalized "COULD" in your post, but it sure seemed like a negative criticism to me.)

I guess I'm a bit annoyed by all the flak that's flying around because I mentioned giving up meat and chicken. For goodness sake, can't we be a little more kinder to people in these postings? I'd like to recommend a link to another forum I found: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132556-why-is-there-so-much-negativity-here
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I sure wish people would read all the posts by the OP before replying. I had stated after my original post that I could not afford the price of range-free cattle and chicken. I found prices from a couple of companies; one sold such ground beef for $10 a pound. My family of four is on a very tight budget and without medical insurance (for now). We can't afford such high prices. I will continue to research any local farms, but so far haven't been able to find any. (And perhaps I'm overreacting to the capitalized "COULD" in your post, but it sure seemed like a negative criticism to me.)

I guess I'm a bit annoyed by all the flak that's flying around because I mentioned giving up meat and chicken. For goodness sake, can't we be a little more kinder to people in these postings? I'd like to recommend a link to another forum I found: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132556-why-is-there-so-much-negativity-here

Where do you live? Have you looked for local farms or farmers markets? I get my ground beef for $5 a lb. Yes, still more then the grocery but I know how the cows are kept, how the meat is processed, who does the processing, and, I swear to all that is holy, it tastes SO much better.

Another idea and one I hope to start doing once I have a new place to live where I can fit a second freezer is to buy a half cow from a farm and have it processed in the ways I want (aka, how much ground beef vs steaks). It costs more upfront, but overall is a money saver.

Chicken is harder to find. Many have told me it is because of the risk of contamination. I have no idea if that is true, but that is what farmers have told me.

If you want some help trying to find something that might work, you can message me. I will see if I can find anything. No promises as some areas have not caught up to the "farm to table" idea as of yet.

I have just started to go this way when it comes to specific products. I also try to buy as much local as possible. Not for any health benefit or because of an ethical reason. I just think the products I get this way taste better and I help support local business.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, if that's what you want, good for you, but there is no way in freaking hell I would give up rare beefsteak, chicken, or any other meat. I'd far rather just hang onto those last 8 lbs. than live without red meat. Quality of life comes first!
  • MelsAuntie
    Options
    I only buy cage free eggs, because I think it's cruel to keep them caged their whole lives. they are living creatures.

But it's ok to take their offspring and eat them....?

Well hell, of course, that's what they are for, that's why we raise them in the first place! Meat animals are meat, that's all there is to it. I raise my own free-range Muscovy ducks for the table, no medication, no antibiotics, no hormones, just duck chow, overage salad, and plenty of slugs, insects, worms, mice, and whatever else they can find.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You post something controversial, judgmental, and vague, and you're upset about the flak? lol
  • MelsAuntie
    Options

In the UK male calves are shot as veal cages are banned in the UK

They have been banned since 1990, but please google rose veal which is raised in accordance with the RSPCA rules.

True but due to this ban, veal became unpopular in the UK and hardly anybody knows about rose veal, so demand is poor and they are still getting shot!
    [/quote

Okay, so unwanted male calves are being shot, more likely raised for beef but I'll assume you're right and they are being shot. So what? Why is this a problem to anyone??]
  • AmerH
    Options

You post something controversial, judgmental, and vague, and you're upset about the flak? lol

The question in my first post: "Any comments regarding this "experiment" I've done and am quite excited about?" I was excited about it because I lost four and a half pounds.

Why was it judgmental? I never said it was bad to eat chicken and meat. I never even said I was swearing off chicken and meat forever. I said in another post I would continue the experiment for another week and see where it got me. What is controversial about that? I never said I thought anyone was bad for eating chicken and meat, and I certainly don't feel that way at all.

I guess I have to realize people read between the lines perhaps and try to fill in the blanks. Because you are right, my first post was too vague. It's the first time I ever started a forum and I wasn't sure if I should go on and on into detail. Now I know I should have. I stated a couple of times in my posts that I was not stating that I thought everyone should give up chicken and meat -- it was just an experiment I was trying. I simply wanted to know if other people had similar experiences, as I later stated in a second or third post. From reading the truly helpful posts, I now know that it perhaps is simply due to the change in my diet and has nothing to do with cutting out chicken and meat specifically. I'll see if it continues to work for another week.

My point again is why can't we be kinder in our advice?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I raise my own free-range Muscovy ducks for the table, no medication, no antibiotics, no hormones, just duck chow, overage salad, and plenty of slugs, insects, worms, mice, and whatever else they can find.

Those might be my next project. Still working through this, or geese for foie gras.

Duck is amazingly good....love the stuff...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

QFT!!! X100000000
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You have my full support. Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • AmerH
    Options
    You have my full support. Enjoy! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I'm sure enjoying my tight jeans becoming loose ones!