What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Thank God there was no Internet when I was in elementary school - I'd hate to think of my teachers taking pictures of my lunches and posting them online to imply that I was a fat little piggy.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In my school, no nuts (there's a peanut allergy, but no one knows that peanuts are a legume!), oranges or fish are allowed. But yeah, that looks like what's considered "healthy" food. Except that they would also include artificially sweetened crap too. It is sad. And we are all scratching our heads why people are so sick. Cuz it's not at all possible that what we eat determines health. (sarcasm)

As an educator you have every right to be concerned about the "food" the children are bringing into the school. Perhaps you should work with the administration and parent/teacher groups to effect change? BUT please don't go anti-fat. Fat from animals, avocado, nuts, etc are healthy and necessary.

The complete lack of effort put into those snacks speaks louder than words. But if the majority of MFPers are any indication, there is a complete disconnect with understanding that food affects health. People will justify and excuse what they are doing because it is too hard to acknowledge that they are doing something wrong. If they acknowledged it, then they might be tempted to do something different. That would take more time away from the tv, or whatever else it is that is more important than the health of their children.

(You won't get much agreement from most MFPers, because it's a site about ADULT weight loss/fitness, then nothing else matters.)

FIFY

Quoting and then changing what was said in the quote says a lot about you.

It's a thing. It's done a lot. Yer lucky I bolded it, most ppl don't get that extra effort.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Thank God there was no Internet when I was in elementary school - I'd hate to think of my teachers taking pictures of my lunches and posting them online to imply that I was a fat little piggy.

But you TOTALLY were. And your parents were kind of terrible. OP IS OBVIOUSLY RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING.
  • PaintedSwan
    Options
    My parents never let me eat crap like that.
    And I don't think it's right to let them either.
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

We have an obesity problem because people consume more calories than they burn. The reason for this is multifaceted and complex, encompassing access to excess and lack of access to quality. A myriad of psychological and socioecomonic factors are at play. Your analysis is painfully short sighted and naive.

The healthfulness of one's diet doesn't the person more or less morally superior.
    And why do you think that happens?hmm
    Because the food we are consuming today is physically and genetically different then the food grown in my grandparents day.
    It is true that we have an overwhelming surplus of choices when it comes to what we eat,but there is no viable reason for us to choose artificially and nutrient deficient items marketed to us from companies who,at the end of the day could care less about our health & well being.
    As to being morally superior,
    If you know the difference but still choose the opposition ,your actions speak for themselves.

Really?

Are you aware that there is a significant portion of the population does not have access to fresh produce by virtue of where they were born and their parents' socioeconomic status? A lot of people do not have the choices that you have with regard to food -- that is called unchecked privilege. In addition, disordered eating affects people in a host of ways from under eating, to over eating, to extreme aversion. None of that has to do with GMO or marketing.

Your argument about moral superiority is painfully embarrassing.
    Changing your post eh?
    LMAO

I changed it to reflect what I was actually trying to say at that moment and did -- I did that well after you quoted it. I don't see what the problem with that would be, since I responded to you with the original language. You really don't seem to understand that the vast majority of people don't have access to Trader Joe's or Whole Food either by geographic location or financial situation, so I completely stand by what I said here and will happily change it back since you so gloriously went one to prove my point.
    You can buy healthy food at any supermarket,it doesn't have to be specific.

*And just a thought*
    Maybe you should be less judgmental of the OP's single spelling mistake,seeing as most of you have had to modify your posts a few times.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    so you are taking pictures - surreptitiously, I assume? - to mock them and post them on a website where any parent could see? And then you casually throw out "sorry if you are one of those parents?"

As I see it, you aren't sorry. What you are is a bully and shame on you. You don't know these parents circumstances. You don't know how hard it is to pack a lunch for a kid who may have food challenges. You don't know these families' circumstances. It's so easy to judge from your high horse, isn't it? How is the view up there, looking down on the peons?

Agreed!

And meanwhile, how did the kids get a chance to eat their food if it was being used for this photo op, unless OP took the photos in front of them? Many questions.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    original.jpg

Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving?

'PIEEEEEE!!!'
    tumblr_m8056ld6we1rzjlc4o1_500.gif

I'm going to my mother's for Thanksgiving, and she always makes a homemade pumpkin pie from scratch. :happy:

Yeah but does she cut it in an entire fourth of a pie as a serving? If not, I still wanna go to this lady's house.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Trader joes & whole foods have a great selection of healthier granola bars.
    They're mostly priced the same as well.

The nearest trader joes is 113 miles from where I live. The nearest whole foods is 137 miles. I believe someone tried to explain to you that not every one has healthier choices readily available to them. What can I get at a WAWA?
    I've never been so idk, but there are threads about what to buy there.

Be helpful and post those here. Within a 40 miles radius of my house, we have a Dollar General, Family Dollar and a locally owned store that gets weeks old produce that is essentially cast off from other stores. GO!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Besides the issue of obvious unprofessionalism and invasion of privacy going on with OP taking photos of her student's snacks and posting them online, can we just remember that it WAS just Halloween and therefore the number of sweets in snacks is probably going to be higher than it otherwise might be?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

The nearest trader joes is 113 miles from where I live. The nearest whole foods is 137 miles. I believe someone tried to explain to you that not every one has healthier choices readily available to them. What can I get at a WAWA?

Be helpful and post those here. Within a 40 miles radius of my house, we have a Dollar General, Family Dollar and a locally owned store that gets weeks old produce that is essentially cast off from other stores. GO!

Arguing on the internet is pissing into the wind.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Who wants a doughnut? I'm going to now with a coffee and Strictly Come Dancing ;-)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Arguing on the internet is pissing into the wind.

rain9.gif
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This is why we have an obesity problem,because people get mad if you judge them on how unhealthy their diet is...and it is unhealthy.Since when are goldfish nutritionally sound?!

We have an obesity problem because people consume more calories than they burn. The reason for this is multifaceted and complex, encompassing access to excess and lack of access to quality. A myriad of psychological and socioecomonic factors are at play. Your analysis is painfully short sighted and naive.

The healthfulness of one's diet doesn't the person more or less morally superior.
    Because the food we are consuming today is physically and genetically different then the food grown in my grandparents day.
    It is true that we have an overwhelming surplus of choices when it comes to what we eat,but there is no viable reason for us to choose artificially and nutrient deficient items marketed to us from companies who,at the end of the day could care less about our health & well being.
    If you know the difference but still choose the opposition ,your actions speak for themselves.

Really?

Are you aware that there is a significant portion of the population does not have access to fresh produce by virtue of where they were born and their parents' socioeconomic status? A lot of people do not have the choices that you have with regard to food -- you have a vast amount of unchecked privileged that is true(truly) sickening. In addition, disordered eating affects people in a host of ways from under eating, to over eating, to extreme aversion.

Well,Your little snarks about my apparent "moral superiority" are becoming quite Boring.

Firstly,I am undoubtably aware of those who are in a position where nothing is available to them.
    Which is the reason I believe we need to help them.
    And I am not anywhere close to being privileged in that regard.If anything I'm just an average citizen.
    Secondly you are making a post with no relation to the current thread whatsoever...
    I am personally a victim of disordered eating(EDNOS)recovered,so do not DARE to bring anything of that nature into your argument.
    None of which has anything to do with the lunches these children are receiving..

Wait, am to understand that I can't talk about people making poor food choices because they might actually have an eating disorder because you have an eating disorder in the past? My point is how people eat do not make them more or less morally superior because there are issues surrounding what we eat that we do not control.

And my point is, how are you defining "average" citizen? You are talking about processed food and GMOs because terrible, which means you must not eat those things and have access to other foods--- but those things are all some people have available to them. Also, I haven't been off topic once. Or attacked YOU personally. Everyone is privileged about something. The important thing to realize what those issues may be so you aren't unfairly judging other people.

This particular engagement is even better than then what the OP had to say! To your corners, ladies!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What ever gold fish fhucking rules. Why don't you work on your lesson planning and not worry about those kids snacks.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

You don't seem to know much. :flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Really?

Are you aware that there is a significant portion of the population does not have access to fresh produce by virtue of where they were born and their parents' socioeconomic status? A lot of people do not have the choices that you have with regard to food -- that is called unchecked privilege. In addition, disordered eating affects people in a host of ways from under eating, to over eating, to extreme aversion. None of that has to do with GMO or marketing.

Changing your post eh?
    LMAO

I changed it to reflect what I was actually trying to say at that moment and did -- I did that well after you quoted it. I don't see what the problem with that would be, since I responded to you with the original language. You really don't seem to understand that the vast majority of people don't have access to Trader Joe's or Whole Food either by geographic location or financial situation, so I completely stand by what I said here and will happily change it back since you so gloriously went one to prove my point.

*And just a thought*
    Maybe you should be less judgmental of the OP's single spelling mistake,seeing as most of you have had to modify your posts a few times.

So what if I modify anything to fix errors or how how I wrote something? I never change what I am actually saying. Or denying I said it.

And there are at least 5 errors in her topic sentence alone. 6 if you want to be picky about how to use quotes. It's easy to judge other people on minor issues -- which is what OP is doing. If she doesn't want it back -- well, maybe she shouldn't do it. You can pick apart any grammatical mistakes I make -- doesn't make you point any more logical.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Really?

Changing your post eh?
    LMAO

*And just a thought*

So what if I modify anything to fix errors or how how I wrote something? I never change what I am actually saying. Or denying I said it.

And there are at least 5 errors in her topic sentence alone. 6 if you want to be picky about how to use quotes. It's easy to judge other people on minor issues -- which is what OP is doing. If she doesn't want it back -- well, maybe she shouldn't do it. You can pick apart any grammatical mistakes I make -- doesn't make you point any more logical.

I concur.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I pack my sons lunch everyday because I will not allow him to eat the school lunch that is filled with crap ingredients, he has a dairy allergy and I don't allow high fructose corn syrup in his diet so it's kind of difficult for him to drink anything beside water when the only choices are Juice which is laden with high fructose corn syrup or milk/ chocolate milk. He is 15 and in 10th grade and it would be a lot easier if there was a place to keep food cold until he needs to eat it or if he was offered multiple times in the day to get a little snack in. it's hard to send healthy items with your kid when you know that it may spoil by the time they actually get to eat it and if not they're eating lunch at 10:15 in the morning and then expected to pay attention in school until 3. Maybe the school should step up to the plate and start making it more convenient for parents to pack healthy items for the kids or offer healthy choices themselves. ... get the soda, juice, chips and candy machines out of the schools!

I do agree that there are better choices these parents could be making other than oreos and rice krispies treats but let's face it how many granola bars can you find that aren't mostly sugar that taste good enough for a first grader to eat? honestly it is a little difficult to find healthy items that taste good enough for your child to eat that are in disposable lunch size or snack size portions and don't need to be refrigerated... especially if you're on a budget .... I don't care how much almond butter you put on them warm celery sticks are not very tasty!! I can't tell you how many tupperware containers I've lost over the years because my kids forgot to bring them home or accidentally throw them in the garbage.

yes I know...like I said I've been packing my kids lunches and snacks ....for over 20 years now (my son is my youngest) I find it easier and cheaper to make my own stuff for them. ..my kids won't eat the healthy granola bars that taste like cardboard. why didn't you address the " maybe schools need to step up to the plate" comment? Isn't passing judgement on someone when you haven't walked in their shoes a form of bullying? You don't know what these kids eat the other 90 percent of the day that you're not with them..... you don't know how their life is at home.... you don't know what their parents are going through financially everybody knows junk food is cheap... you have no clue and you have no right to pass judgement just based on school snacks for lunches this whole post is nothing but a waste of time because you're not doing anything to help educate parents if that's what you're really concerned about.
  • PaintedSwan
    Options

Says the women who judges intelligence on age.:laugh: :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Woman- Singular
    Women- Plural
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No judgement though... carry on. :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

ahh...'ad hominem'.
    I know it well.
This discussion has been closed.