What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not a parent. It's always the non-parents that seem to know how to do it all right and feel quite free letting the world know exactly which way that is.

I don't see candy. I see cookies, crackers and fruit. It's a snack, not a nutrition exam.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Raivynsblood
    Raivynsblood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not a parent. It's always the non-parents that seem to know how to do it all right and feel quite free letting the world know exactly which way that is.

I don't see candy. I see cookies, crackers and fruit. It's a snack, not a nutrition exam.

this!!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    lazy parents
  • PaintedSwan
    Options
    Trader joes & whole foods have a great selection of healthier granola bars.
    They're mostly priced the same as well.

The nearest trader joes is 113 miles from where I live. The nearest whole foods is 137 miles. I believe someone tried to explain to you that not every one has healthier choices readily available to them. What can I get at a WAWA?
    I've never been so idk, but there are threads about what to buy there.

You don't seem to know much. :flowerforyou:
    Says the women who judges intelligence on age.:laugh: :drinker:

Woman- Singular
    Women- Plural
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No judgement though... carry on. :flowerforyou:
    Well then,if you have a better idea...

Please,share your "wisdom":noway:
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options

YES

exactly!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Trader joes & whole foods have a great selection of healthier granola bars.
    They're mostly priced the same as well.

The nearest trader joes is 113 miles from where I live. The nearest whole foods is 137 miles. I believe someone tried to explain to you that not every one has healthier choices readily available to them. What can I get at a WAWA?
    I've never been so idk, but there are threads about what to buy there.

You don't seem to know much. :flowerforyou:
    Says the women who judges intelligence on age.:laugh: :drinker:

Woman- Singular
    Women- Plural
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No judgement though... carry on. :flowerforyou:
    Well then,if you have a better idea...

Please,share your "wisdom":noway:

Point_missed.gif
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the crap the school thinks my child should eat. Uh, I'll send the goldfish, thanks. FYI tomorrow is chicken nugget and FF day lmao.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    Maybe you should get back to teaching vs judging...

I am sure as a teacher and someone who was sent to enlighten us, you are familiar with the food pyramid. And a balanced diet contains 0-3 servings of fats/snacks/oils. Are you going home with the kids to ensure that they are eating bowls of fruits and veggies and going to bed on time... no keep your eyes on your own plate. Maybe you have the parents text you photos of their nightly meals and snacks so you and you alone can decide their worth as parents.

i suppose you would rather they eat a nice "healthy" school lunch hat would be better right.

makkfa.jpg

go back to your bridge.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Crap, I should say - Have you seen the crap the government thinks my kid should have for lunch? I sometimes send *gasp* a fruit roll up. That's what I get for being a so called parent.... wait... :huh:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    FIRST-the teacher is obviously concerned about the students AND education and not just the education of her students. She has not pinpointed anyone in her class, just putting it out there that our society could use more information on nutrition. After all there is an obesity epidemic going on, regardless of anecdotes of finicky eaters and the wonderful foods some parents prepare for their kids.
    next, I'm wondering how many calories a first grader needs per day. (one site says about 1700 cals per day) the pic with the tangerines, plugged into mfp, is about 1000 calories, excluding the caramel thing in the middle I couldn't read. does that leave enough calories for healthy vegetables and meats at breakfast and dinner and evening?
    Third, thin-skinned parental reactions seem to be a huge part of what is wrong with education today. Teachers truly have students' best interests in mind and can not operate effectively if parents are against them. Honestly! It makes me wonder how many of the people itching to punch out a teacher ignore the school's cell phone policy and text or call their child at any time of the day.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm "one of those parents", apparently.

My child is 2 and in nursery school. He gets one snack during his short time there, and I usually pack crackers or pretzels (or cheerios the other day because he didn't eat breakfast). I also put sugary fruit juice in his thermos. *shudders*

However:
    1) At home he eats a lot of fruits (apples and bananas are his favorite), cheeses, and normal food. He eats mac n cheese once(?) maybe a week. He eats veggies. His breakfast will sometimes be an egg, sometimes cream of wheat, sometimes non-sugary cereal with milk. Otherwise he eats whatever we eat.

2) The only times he gets juice is during his snack at school (and it's the fruit/veggie juice). All other times, he drinks white milk (he's never had chocolate milk, and I'm not going to start if he's content with regular milk).

3) But yes, I pack processed foods for his snack. Because a) it's a treat b) it's not messy for other teachers and c) it takes him time to chew those foods and not be done within 30 seconds (as opposed to a cheese stick).

Is he a perfect healthy eater? No, but he does pretty well for a toddler imo. Would I be absolutely livid if his teacher posted pics on the internet and judged me as a parent and not knowing the full story? Oh yeah, I'd be talking to the principal on that one.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should get back to teaching vs judging...

I am sure as a teacher and someone who was sent to enlighten us, you are familiar with the food pyramid. And a balanced diet contains 0-3 servings of fats/snacks/oils. Are you going home with the kids to ensure that they are eating bowls of fruits and veggies and going to bed on time... no keep your eyes on your own plate. Maybe you have the parents text you photos of their nightly meals and snacks so you and you alone can decide their worth as parents.

i suppose you would rather they eat a nice "healthy" school lunch that would be better right.

live_photo16624347_zpsc847d703.jpg

go back to your bridge.

Photobucket sux. Try tinypic.com. That way maybe your photo will show up. :flowerforyou:
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    FIRST-the teacher is obviously concerned about the students AND education and not just the education of her students. She has not pinpointed anyone in her class, just putting it out there that our society could use more information on nutrition. After all there is an obesity epidemic going on, regardless of anecdotes of finicky eaters and the wonderful foods some parents prepare for their kids.
    next, I'm wondering how many calories a first grader needs per day. (one site says about 1700 cals per day) the pic with the tangerines, plugged into mfp, is about 1000 calories, excluding the caramel thing in the middle I couldn't read. does that leave enough calories for healthy vegetables and meats at breakfast and dinner and evening?
    Third, thin-skinned parental reactions seem to be a huge part of what is wrong with education today. Teachers truly have students' best interests in mind and can not operate effectively if parents are against them. Honestly! It makes me wonder how many of the people itching to punch out a teacher ignore the school's cell phone policy and text or call their child at any time of the day.

While I agree with much of what you said:

1) She came to us to complain about these parents, but has said NOTHING about what she has done to help educate those parents.

2) Are those kids eating everything that is packed? My son has a tendency to eat big once a day and nibble throughout the rest. His cousin is the same.

It comes down to: we don't know the full story. And complaining about it to those who do not know the whole story doesn't do anyone a lick of good (except perhaps the OP's satisfaction level from venting).
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    [/quote]

Photobucket sux. Try tinypic.com. That way maybe your photo will show up. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote] THANK YOU!!! its been a while!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm "one of those parents", apparently.

My child is 2 and in nursery school. He gets one snack during his short time there, and I usually pack crackers or pretzels (or cheerios the other day because he didn't eat breakfast). I also put sugary fruit juice in his thermos. *shudders*

However:
    1) At home he eats a lot of fruits (apples and bananas are his favorite), cheeses, and normal food. He eats mac n cheese once(?) maybe a week. He eats veggies. His breakfast will sometimes be an egg, sometimes cream of wheat, sometimes non-sugary cereal with milk. Otherwise he eats whatever we eat.

2) The only times he gets juice is during his snack at school (and it's the fruit/veggie juice). All other times, he drinks white milk (he's never had chocolate milk, and I'm not going to start if he's content with regular milk).

3) But yes, I pack processed foods for his snack. Because a) it's a treat b) it's not messy for other teachers and c) it takes him time to chew those foods and not be done within 30 seconds (as opposed to a cheese stick).

Is he a perfect healthy eater? No, but he does pretty well for a toddler imo. Would I be absolutely livid if his teacher posted pics on the internet and judged me as a parent and not knowing the full story? Oh yeah, I'd be talking to the principal on that one.

You bring up a great parental dillemma when packing snacks. They must be something that will still be edible at the time it's opened as well. Hence likely to have preservatives. I would love to see this OP come up with a suitable snack and lunch that is healthy according to her standards and also going to stay fresh until it's opened and is individually packaged or able to be easily made so. Also it needs to be easily opened and eaten fairly quickly and something the child will ACTUALLY eat, otherwise the complaint will be that the child does not eat during lunch and snack or that you are packing things he can't open or prepare on his or her own....GO!

p.s. I'd love to see pic's just like you posted of the parents' no-no snacks. Also it has to be able to be made in the morning at lightning speed. Up to the challenge OP?
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This thread is becoming highly amusing. One thing I will say in defense of anyone making spelling/grammar errors or correcting their OWN spelling or grammar errors after the fact is that I know when I post, if I am pissed or have a lot to say, my typing suffers and I'll sometimes choose the incorrect homonym even if I know better.

Anyway...carry on. :D
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

makkfa.jpg

go back to your bridge.

OMG! I want one for every age bracket!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Check out the morning snacks and lunches that are sent with some of my grade one students. This is not just one either...this happens everyday.
    Their should be a test before one can have children...Sorry if you are one of those parents reading this!

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/shartran/Lunches For My Grade One OMG/485a4a89-13ab-4dd6-8a6d-4627f8226109_zps257e9c18.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/shartran/Lunches For My Grade One OMG/52e7b896-2978-4454-96ef-8de07905d400_zps0c590dc3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/shartran/Lunches For My Grade One OMG/9a79620b-610e-4f01-ad65-da50f6760e70_zps984fea98.jpg[/img]
    The only thing this post proves is that you don't know what you're talking about.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Oh snap!
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am not a parent. I am a college student. Honestly, even as a non-parent I can understand how a parent would have a hard time making sure a child eats well all the time! I have 100% control over what I eat, have reasonable access to healthful foods, and have the money to buy decent food... and I don't eat well all the time. Sometimes it's a result of poor planning. Sometimes I have an exam and no matter how well I plan, I wind up eating something not so great. If I were trying to take care of another human being... well, that human being would wind up eating whatever I ate, which might be good or might be "bad", depending on the day.

It seems to me that the base of the OP's concerns isn't bad--the idea being that kids should be given good foods and taught healthful eating habits--but the way in which she expressed them was judgmental rather than helpful. Ideally, the response to this is to educate parents and try to figure out why they're providing the snacks that they are. Not post pictures on an online forum and trash talk the parents. I also think that these pictures probably represent a sample of an aggregate of snacks from a class of maybe 20 or 30 students. I have a hard time believing someone would send that much food for one kid.

I agree with the comments about shaming and not considering students' home situations and how that might affect what they're bringing to school. My older sister is a teacher who taught at an ESL charter school where many of her students were socioeconomically disadvantaged. I have no idea what they were eating, but I don't think it was the clean/organic/whatever stuff that's often espoused as ideal. The teachers there were far more concerned about students' emotional health, safety (some of them were in gangs), ability to conduct themselves as young adults (they had two days of seminars after fights were breaking out in the halls), and academic achievement (one of my sister's students got a 10% on a VERY basic biology test). As social determinants of health go, the overall environment is more important than food.

The kicker is, these same pictures probably could have been posted and gotten much better responses if the text had been less judgmental. Something along the lines of, "These are the snacks my students bring to school... I wish my school community focused more on nutrition and tried to give parents the support they need to give their kids better snacks. Or provided healthful snacks instead of having kids bring stuff from home." That said, there still would have been responses of, "That might be the only unhealthful thing those kids eat all day, and kids should be taught moderation." Which is 100% reasonable, in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.