What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I truly feel sorry for all the kids this person is teaching... Who knows what other kind of shaming goes on in the classroom. I really need to look into homeschooling.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm a bad grandma... my grandson (3) his parents, their friends and their two kids 4 & 2 are coming today to overnight at our cabin. My shopping list: soy milk boxes, juice boxes, fruit, the dreaded FUDGE goldfish IF Walmart is not SOLD OUT of them, and terrible grandpa is going to make WAFFLES for Sunday breakfast..... please do not report us to child services.... it is just one weekend. :)

Adopt me, please?
    tumblr_mtr9gazYBD1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I sure hope none of the parents see this post, how unprofessional to secretly take pics to post on the internet. I think those snacks are fine in moderation.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Well don't I feel stupid...I was SO 'into' posting these pics that I didn't edit this at all...I also left out the word 'day' too!
    What can you do???LOL

Well, you can be less judgemental and refrain from posting such things; you can take a hot minute and reread your post, not only for spelling and grammatical errors, but as a self-check as to the appropriateness of the post... You can mind your own business.

Might I add, you only posted a few things- I would be concerned if that were a child's entire lunch; however, I'm more inclined to believe there are healthier things included in those lunches than just what you've posted.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Well don't I feel stupid...I was SO 'into' posting these pics that I didn't edit this at all...I also left out the word 'day' too!
    What can you do???LOL

Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love how people on this thread talk about "shaming" in regards to food choices. When did we get to the point where any time someone points out that something is likely a bad choice (random sex, morbid obesity, unhealthy food) its "shaming."

Also this quote is crap:

The simple fact is that if children ate nothing but healthy foods all day then they wouldn't bring in enough calories to maximize their growth.

My son eats organic, gluten-free and no "junk food" and he's off the chart for his age. Sorry, yes you can eat healthy and grow to the appropriate size. That's the biggest crock for eating crap I've ever heard.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Is this real? OP, if you are actually a teacher (which I highly doubt) you need a course in remedial grammar. Immediately. At least 5 errors in your topic sentence alone.

If, somehow, you slipped through the cracks and are an educator... I send my daughter to school with food I know she will readily eat. Sometimes that means junk, other times it means a banana or grapes -- it depends on her mood. If she has a junk snack at school, she has healthier snacks at home. Why? Because I don't feel like it is a teacher's job to get my kid to eat her fruits and veggies. It is my gift to you -- I am acknowledging that sometimes my daughter is a pain about food, I would rather deal with AT HOME, so you don't have deal with it IN CLASS.
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    my sons snack is a juice box adam and eve ones and a applesauce that is waht he requested
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    This is exceedingly unprofessional.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I love how people on this thread talk about "shaming" in regards to food choices. When did we get to the point where any time someone points out that something is likely a bad choice (random sex, morbid obesity, unhealthy food) its "shaming."

Also this quote is crap:

The simple fact is that if children ate nothing but healthy foods all day then they wouldn't bring in enough calories to maximize their growth.

My son eats organic, gluten-free and no "junk food" and he's off the chart for his age. Sorry, yes you can eat healthy and grow to the appropriate size. That's the biggest crock for eating crap I've ever heard.

When a TEACHER takes pictures of her charges food so she can post them on an Internet forum and refer to "so called parents" that is shaming, whatever the type of food it was.
  • randomtai
    Options

Also this quote is crap:

Is it cold up there on that high horse?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options

But OP is not pointing out to the children ( in a positive encouraging way) which foods are healthy snacks- she has taken photos of their food and mocked them and their parents without their knowledge.

Very unprofessional behaviour OP .

Btw,am struggling to see what on earth is unhealthy about 2 fresh oranges????
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options

Also this quote is crap:

Is it cold up there on that high horse?
    Hot air rises doesn't it? Pretty sure air thins out higher to causing lack of oxygen! But what would i know? I'm just a 'so called' parent!!!!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

But OP is not pointing out to the children ( in a positive encouraging way) which foods are healthy snacks- she has taken photos of their food and mocked them and their parents without their knowledge.

Very unprofessional behaviour OP .

Btw,am struggling to see what on earth is unhealthy about 2 fresh oranges????

In a previous thread op mentions cutting out ALL sugar... apparently bananas are sweet like candy too.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am a high school teacher and I see what students eat every day. I stay in my room for lunch and at least 10 to 15 kids come and hang out with me daily. They come for many reasons…some for math help, others for emotional support, but the majority of my kiddos come to have a safe, nonjudgmental place to sit and eat.

My 16 year old son has always been a picky eater. He is tall (5'10") and very athletic (currently weighs 135lbs). He has eaten approximately 5 sandwiches in his entire life and didn't have a hamburger until he was 10. He still doesn't like any condiments, sauces, or gravies. In middle school, he only wanted a few items in his lunch...a water bottle, two packages of turkey jerky, an apple, and two whole large red bell peppers (not cut up). I have no doubt that his lunch looked odd to everyone around. Thankfully, there wasn't a teacher nearby to take a picture of his lunch and judge me on the internet.

Personally, I grew up extremely poor. My mother and I would work at a food bank once a month, so that we could “earn” a big box of food. That box was filled with some healthy foods (veggies and fruit) and lots of unhealthy food items (cookies, crackers, chips, etc). My lunch was created from the food bank items, so I couldn't complain and didn’t have choices. My mom made the best decisions she could as a single parent, but at times the food in my lunch was not the healthiest.

OP you have no right to judge the kids under your tutelage. Maybe instead of taking pictures of their food, you might sit with them at lunch and talk with them. You are not making a difference in the lives of the kids around you if you are too busy judging them. You are an educated professional, please start acting like it.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    For a little perspective on the family life of some children:

I had the privilege of teaching 5 year olds for about 8 years. We had one small young man who hoarded all the napkins he could get while eating lunch. He stuffed his pockets full and would carefully place them in his cubby until time to go home. We watched him do this every day for a week. I asked him one day what he did with all the napkins. He looked up at me and said, "We don't have this kind of thing at home."

I learned a lot of life lessons teaching those children. Open your eyes and learn about the children in your classroom. Sometimes the students are the teachers.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Now THIS is one of those "mean threads" that everyone is always talking about.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    HELLO! I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT PARENTS THESE DAYS. I'M FROM THE READING WRITING AND ARITHMETIC TAUGHT TO THE TUNE OF A HICKORY STICK ERA MYSELF.

AS A SUGGESTION I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU CHANGE THE WAY YOU EMPLOY SNEER QUOTES HOWEVER. YOU PROBABLY MEANT TO TITLE THIS POST "WHAT ARE THESE SO-CALLED 'PARENTS' DOING?" BUT INSTEAD YOU WROTE "WHAT ARE THESE 'SO CALLED' PARENTS DOING!!" THE USE OF PUNCTUATION THROUGHOUT THE TITLE IS CONFUSING TO ME.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    did i see dunkaroos in there!!!!!!!!......those were soooooo good
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My second grader is very small/underweight for her age, since she really loves healthy low-cal food most of the time and is really not into the calorie dense things that are on her plate. Snack time is usually a time I can sneak in a few extra calories, peanut butter and jelly crackers, slices of pepperoni, a blueberry muffin, a cheese stick, a banana... these are all things I routinely send with her for snack. I don't send candy or chocolate, not because I think its bad, but because I don't want her bouncing of the walls at school. I also send a similar second snack for evenings when she has dance class.

If I were you I would worry more about if the children are coming to school clean, well rested, have had breakfast in the morning, happy, ready to learn... you know generally well cared for kids, and if their parents are helping with homework and projects each night and the child is turning these things in on time.

Its a snack.... not a parent competency test... there is so much more to parenting than a 2 o'clock snack.
This discussion has been closed.