1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you know what I learned by measuring? I learned that I really like ketchup, and that for me, what I thought was 20 calories of ketchup for my eggs, is actually 80 calories of ketchup...

measuring makes all the difference in the world! your not in a deficit, your not eating at 1200 calories, YOUR NOT! measure your food and do it right, otherwise, don't complain when its not working!
  • webneb
    webneb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Firstly, Maybe check what your BMR is with a site like freedieting.com. Once you work that part out your know for sure what your estimated expenditure is. Also a key to this is watching your nutritional info closely. No point in only eating 1200 calories if your eating to many bad fats, carbs and sugars. I generally go over on mine a bit too but everything I eat I know for a fact is the good types of fats, carbs and sugars. I plateaued a bit myself when I was getting down in my weight but I was also putting on a lot of lean mass (muscle). I found I wasn't eating enough to cover my BMR.
  • hgalit
    Options
    I am consistently staying under 1200 calories and exercising daily....usually a Shaun T T25 workout and another 1/2 hour of pilates or strength training. But, I am not losing any weight. I am 5' 5" and 164 lbs. so I definitely have some weight to lose. I know what everyone is going to tell me. I NEED TO EAT MORE!!! How do I do this without gaining weight? I am eating between 1000-1200 calories per day and working out for a burn of 200-400 per day. I am not hungry and begin to get that disgusting, fat feeling when I eat any more. I am not feeling tired throughout the day and I feel that I am very energized for my workouts. I have read a lot of posts on this site and honestly do not know how all of these people are able to eat 1800-2000 calories per day. I love food! But am worried that if I start to eat more I will gain and I refuse to get any bigger than I already am. Any advice???
    You probaly got huge deficit so your body think you straving.
    1. Have one day a week cheat day get net 1500+. What you gain only water food weight.
    2. Keep your net random let your body guessing what you do.
    3. Drink a lot of water yo body maybe retain water and you can fix it only by drinking more water.
    4. If you exrecise same routine try to change it.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I am consistently staying under 1200 calories and exercising daily....usually a Shaun T T25 workout and another 1/2 hour of pilates or strength training. But, I am not losing any weight. I am 5' 5" and 164 lbs. so I definitely have some weight to lose. I know what everyone is going to tell me. I NEED TO EAT MORE!!! How do I do this without gaining weight? I am eating between 1000-1200 calories per day and working out for a burn of 200-400 per day. I am not hungry and begin to get that disgusting, fat feeling when I eat any more. I am not feeling tired throughout the day and I feel that I am very energized for my workouts. I have read a lot of posts on this site and honestly do not know how all of these people are able to eat 1800-2000 calories per day. I love food! But am worried that if I start to eat more I will gain and I refuse to get any bigger than I already am. Any advice???
    You probaly got huge deficit so your body think you straving.
    1. Have one day a week cheat day get net 1500+. What you gain only water food weight.
    2. Keep your net random let your body guessing what you do.
    3. Drink a lot of water yo body maybe retain water and you can fix it only by drinking more water.
    4. If you exrecise same routine try to change it.

no, her body does not think its starving.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Paging special snowflakes.

Believe it or not but we are all special snowflakes. Like it or not my body does NOT work the same as your body because we are all the same but yet we are all different. If we were all the same we'd all be fat or we'd all be skinny. We'd all have cancer or non of us would. I can be exposed to something that will make me ill but yet expose you to the same thing and nothing happens. Feed me less carbs and I lose weight, feed you less carbs and nothing changes....we are different, we are all "SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES"

No, you aren't.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You have asked a few times how eating more could work. My understanding of the general theory is that there are hormonal signals received by the metabolism that help control where the metabolism runs. If little food is coming in (over how long or taking account individual differences is too difficult to answer until further study) the metabolism can run differently to try to preserve the status quo.

OK, so the hormones in question have been tested and the levels do change after calorie surpluses. Like quickly. So, one theory goes: maybe the metabolism is looking for a signal here and there that shows a high enough level that it means food is probably not in short supply. A flag if you will.

It would make enough sense, and respected researchers are researching it. It could also be a theory that doesn't hold true after lots of testing. It's science. That happens ;)

So, anyway, that's what a refeed day would do. Or one cheat day a week, or even the calorie cycling where the average weekly calories don't differ. Having a high-calorie 'flag' might really mean something to the body.

Or not. But it's not a particularly laughable scientific idea, so I'm not going to debate it a lot or anything with anyone who thinks it's a totally whacko thing to say ;) I don't mind if anyone commences with the funny gifs regarding my views, though. I like funny gifs :D
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You have asked a few times how eating more could work. My understanding of the general theory is that there are hormonal signals received by the metabolism that help control where the metabolism runs. If little food is coming in (over how long or taking account individual differences is too difficult to answer until further study) the metabolism can run differently to try to preserve the status quo.

OK, so the hormones in question have been tested and the levels do change after calorie surpluses. Like quickly. So, one theory goes: maybe the metabolism is looking for a signal here and there that shows a high enough level that it means food is probably not in short supply. A flag if you will.

It would make enough sense, and respected researchers are researching it. It could also be a theory that doesn't hold true after lots of testing. It's science. That happens ;)

So, anyway, that's what a refeed day would do. Or one cheat day a week, or even the calorie cycling where the average weekly calories don't differ. Having a high-calorie 'flag' might really mean something to the body.

Or not. But it's not a particularly laughable scientific idea, so I'm not going to debate it a lot or anything with anyone who thinks it's a totally whacko thing to say ;) I don't mind if anyone commences with the funny gifs regarding my views, though. I like funny gifs :D

She's been eating maintenance for, what, two years?

She doesn't need a refeed day.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

She's been eating maintenance for, what, two years?

She doesn't need a refeed day.

I would agree if she truly is consuming more than she believes she is.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well, you'd have to hypothesize that she's been eating too low for some period of time longer than the month she's been tracking, probably, yeah. So that doesn't exactly seem to work out; I agree.

Usually if someone is eating very low for a long time, you'll see them eating just one meal a day or eating mostly veggies for ages or something like that.

It is possible to eat a low daily total, though. Possible. Not always probable :)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    BS... if you are truly eating 1200 calories and exercising you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight.. u are not eating 1200 calories. End of story. Also if you are 164 lbs at 5'4... there is no change of starvation mode. When your bodyfat hits 10% or so.. there is a chance of starvation mode then.

At a deficit you will ALWAYS lose weight.

It wouldn't be of any benefit to me to lie about my caloric intake. With the fat I have, I hardly think I am in starvation mode.....whatever that means!! Ha!! My food diary is accurate, hence the confusion.

To be fair, its hard to say you aren't losing any weight at 1200 when you have only been logging since Monday. Like I said above, keep doing what you are doing and after a couple of weeks, not just 1 or 2, re-evaluate.

Yes, a week isn't enough time. The hardest part IMO is having patience.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To those posting without reading beyond OP...

...consider for a moment that there may be some additional relevant information in those 13 other pages.
  • wheird
    Options
    Try cutting out sugar and gluten.
  • Slrajr
    Options

...consider for a moment that there may be some additional relevant information in those 13 other pages.

You mean I have to read 13 pages before I'm allowed to respond????
  • wheird
    Options

Depends on how informed you want to be and how you feel about redundancy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No, no. Not at all. The advice only applies if you don't want to just throw out some bunk information that has already been debated then rehashed four times already.

By all means, don't bother reading the rest of the thread. Dredge up the same old statements that ten other people have already thrown out there, and give your advice without knowing anything about all the additional information the OP has provided.

I'm sure your comment, made in complete ignorance of the entire discussion so far, is the one valuable piece of information the we've been lacking through the preceding 300 posts.
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard getting to 1500 calories a day, but I try if you are eating 5 small meals a day , healthy ones, you will not gain weight, I try to get at least 300 minutes of cardio a week, I try to stay very active, , shooting for 30 minutes of hard cardio 5 days a week..I eat high protein, low sodium, healthy fats and complex carbs, when I am following my meal plans, you should open up your diary , so people can look and see if you can change things up.. I am 5' 6" 129.. How much weightlifting do you do? The more muscle you have the more calories you burn at a resting rest..

This is good! basically what i do. I'm 5'11 and went from over 300 to 190
  • Slrajr
    Options

No, no. Not at all. The advice only applies if you don't want to just throw out some bunk information that has already been debated then rehashed four times already.

By all means, don't bother reading the rest of the thread. Dredge up the same old statements that ten other people have already thrown out there, and give your advice without knowing anything about all the additional information the OP has provided.

I'm sure your comment, made in complete ignorance of the entire discussion so far, is the one valuable piece of information the we've been lacking through the preceding 300 posts.

Lmfao! Thanks:). I just skimmed and there is lots of info I missed, especially about measuring and whatnot.
    However, I'm so happy and proud of myself because my advice to " just keep doing what you're doing" definitely was the most profound and wise valuable piece of information out there! I do appreciate your kind compliment :flowerforyou:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

See, Jof... this is why I didn't list you as one of the more positive people on my friend list.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Lmfao! Thanks:). I just skimmed and there is lots of info I missed, especially about measuring and whatnot.
    However, I'm so happy and proud of myself because my advice to " just keep doing what you're doing" definitely was the most profound and wise valuable piece of information out there! I do appreciate your kind compliment :flowerforyou:

Indeed, she should keep doing what she's been doing...as she reportedly has for the past two years...because two years isn't enough time?

And that would include *not* weighing her food.

Thanks. Solid advice. I think we're all done here.*

(* FTR, I was actually done here pages ago when OP refused to weigh all of her food for even a brief period of time to confirm her food side of the equation.)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Paging special snowflakes.

Believe it or not but we are all special snowflakes. Like it or not my body does NOT work the same as your body because we are all the same but yet we are all different. If we were all the same we'd all be fat or we'd all be skinny. We'd all have cancer or non of us would. I can be exposed to something that will make me ill but yet expose you to the same thing and nothing happens. Feed me less carbs and I lose weight, feed you less carbs and nothing changes....we are different, we are all "SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES"

No, you aren't.

YES, yes WE are. What works for you may not work for me, not matter how much you'd like to believe it will. Our bodies are the same and yet they can and do work differently, how can they not? Kinda silly if you ask me to even consider we are the same and what works for one will work for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.