1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options
I am consistently staying under 1200 calories and exercising daily....usually a Shaun T T25 workout and another 1/2 hour of pilates or strength training. But, I am not losing any weight. I am 5' 5" and 164 lbs. so I definitely have some weight to lose. I know what everyone is going to tell me. I NEED TO EAT MORE!!! How do I do this without gaining weight? I am eating between 1000-1200 calories per day and working out for a burn of 200-400 per day. I am not hungry and begin to get that disgusting, fat feeling when I eat any more. I am not feeling tired throughout the day and I feel that I am very energized for my workouts. I have read a lot of posts on this site and honestly do not know how all of these people are able to eat 1800-2000 calories per day. I love food! But am worried that if I start to eat more I will gain and I refuse to get any bigger than I already am. Any advice???

Replies

• treehuggerheather
    Options
    Eat no fewer than 1200. You said you eat between 1000-1200. You body may be in store/starvation mode.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eating at 1,000 may be hindering your weight loss. Plus you really should eat back your exercise calories, at least some of them. Don't be scurred ;)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard getting to 1500 calories a day, but I try if you are eating 5 small meals a day , healthy ones, you will not gain weight, I try to get at least 300 minutes of cardio a week, I try to stay very active, , shooting for 30 minutes of hard cardio 5 days a week..I eat high protein, low sodium, healthy fats and complex carbs, when I am following my meal plans, you should open up your diary , so people can look and see if you can change things up.. I am 5' 6" 129.. How much weightlifting do you do? The more muscle you have the more calories you burn at a resting rest..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    OVer what period of time are we talking?
    How do you measure your food?

Opening your diary would make this a whole lot easier to try to answer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 35, 146 lbs now and I've been losing 6 lbs a month eating 1600-1700 calories. My workouts are probably not even as intense as T25 (I walk one hour a day and was doing bodypump twice a week when I was your weight).

Why are you starving yourself? Maybe you should seek some professional help if eating a reasonable amount of food is making you feel disgusting.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I expect you're eating more than you think you are. Are you logging every single thing you eat, including snacks, drinks, condiments, etc.?
  • aggieanne04
    aggieanne04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Whenever weight loss stalls for me, I eat about 100-150 calories more per day for about a week, then go back to my usual routine. I usually gain a pound or two that week, but then it goes away and takes a few pounds with it the following weeks. :) Good luck!
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    WhenI was eating 1200, I wasn't losing weight. I started eating around 1500, and I started losing some. It's not going to fall off fast, and some weeks may suck and you may not lose any. I've been eating less than 1500 a bit lately and stopped losing again, so I'm trying to stay around 1500. You just have to play around and try different amounts of calories you have per day. Maybe 1400 will work for you. Our bodies are just weird, little quirky things. They're picky sometimes, and we have to figure them out.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? I agree you are probably eating more than you think. If you don't have a scale use measuring cups. It work pretty well. If you eat one cup servings. I try and walk at least six days a week but due to a disability I can't lift weights or do workout videos. I have lost 42 pounds so far. Some will say what you eat is not important. I disagree because I am eating for a healthy body. So I eat Meats veggies and whole fruits. Limited amounts of whole grain bread but I do eat old fashioned oatmeal with fruit and stevia. You need to open you diary so you can get the assistance you need to move forward. How long have you been trying??
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    I opened up my diary. It is not psychological....I love to eat. That is why I am where I am. I just can't eat like I once was able to eat and I have gained about 10-15 lbs over the last 2 years or so. I have read a ton on this website and that is why I know everyone will tell me to eat more, but i don't want to gain weight!! I began changing my habits about a year ago. I started doing Shaun T's Insanity Fast & Furious 20 minute workout everyday but didn't change any eating habits. It changed my body somewhat and I know some things have shifted for the better, but only a 3 lb loss. I started watching my food intake about 2 months ago and began eating yogurt and granola instead of chips and dip, for example, and thought for sure that with some slight changes such as that along with a double workout everyday of 25 minutes T25 and some pilates/sculpting I would see changes, but nothing!! I would love to eat more, but just can't believe that eating more will aid in weight loss!! Help!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I opened up my diary. It is not psychological....I love to eat. That is why I am where I am. I just can't eat like I once was able to eat and I have gained about 10-15 lbs over the last 2 years or so. I have read a ton on this website and that is why I know everyone will tell me to eat more, but i don't want to gain weight!! I began changing my habits about a year ago. I started doing Shaun T's Insanity Fast & Furious 20 minute workout everyday but didn't change any eating habits. It changed my body somewhat and I know some things have shifted for the better, but only a 3 lb loss. I started watching my food intake about 2 months ago and began eating yogurt and granola instead of chips and dip, for example, and thought for sure that with some slight changes such as that along with a double workout everyday of 25 minutes T25 and some pilates/sculpting I would see changes, but nothing!! I would love to eat more, but just can't believe that eating more will aid in weight loss!! Help!!

It looks like you have only been logging since Monday.

How are you measuring your food? Do you log everything? I mean everything.

I would strongly suggested weighing everything you can, measuring the rest, and logging as consistently as possible. Give that a couple of weeks and evaluate from there.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Are you logging and weighing everything? Granola and yogurt can be every bit as calorie dense as chips and dip. Check out this link about logging accuracy, it is an excellent read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I bust *kitten* in the gym...I probably eat 2000 calories a day ( I haven't logged in a while). The scale has only moved a few lbs since Feb, but pictures show the real progress!

9799221974_4ccc67c1f0.jpg
    2/13, 4/13, 9/13 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options

I would strongly suggested weighing everything you can, measuring the rest, and logging as consistently as possible. Give that a couple of weeks and evaluate from there.

Yes, I measure everything....my granola, my salad dressing, my mayo, my salad, bacon bits, etc.. I just started logging on Monday, but have been counting calories for about a month. I am pretty consistent with 1000-1200. The days I hit 1200 I usually intentionally eat something just to get there. I am not hungry at 1000 calories. And that includes a daily workout. I believe I am logging everything. I did have one bite of cake one day and a sip of my kid's smoothie on another day, but I am typically pretty careful to log everything. How do I add calories without gaining?
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    Are you logging and weighing everything? Granola and yogurt can be every bit as calorie dense as chips and dip. Check out this link about logging accuracy, it is an excellent read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

YES! I measure practically everything!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

YES! I measure practically everything!!

How?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    BS... if you are truly eating 1200 calories and exercising you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight.. u are not eating 1200 calories. End of story. Also if you are 164 lbs at 5'4... there is no change of starvation mode. When your bodyfat hits 10% or so.. there is a chance of starvation mode then.

At a deficit you will ALWAYS lose weight.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    WhenI was eating 1200, I wasn't losing weight. I started eating around 1500, and I started losing some. It's not going to fall off fast, and some weeks may suck and you may not lose any. I've been eating less than 1500 a bit lately and stopped losing again, so I'm trying to stay around 1500. You just have to play around and try different amounts of calories you have per day. Maybe 1400 will work for you. Our bodies are just weird, little quirky things. They're picky sometimes, and we have to figure them out.

Did you gain initially when you added those 300 calories? I don't need it to fall off fast. But, I am not seeing any progress. It just seems to me that since I am working out more than I ever have in my life, I should be losing weight. I am so confused!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yes, I measure everything....my granola, my salad dressing, my mayo, my salad, bacon bits, etc.. I just started logging on Monday, but have been counting calories for about a month. I am pretty consistent with 1000-1200. The days I hit 1200 I usually intentionally eat something just to get there. I am not hungry at 1000 calories. And that includes a daily workout. I believe I am logging everything. I did have one bite of cake one day and a sip of my kid's smoothie on another day, but I am typically pretty careful to log everything. How do I add calories without gaining?

If the issue is that you can't meet the 1200, change out some things in your diet. Your breakfast is a very low calorie sandwich type thing. Look for another option that has a few more calories, or add a slice of cheese or something.
    You eat low fat yogurt, eat the full fat stuff. Swap out any "low calorie", low fat, etc foods for the whole version and the calories will add up quick without adding more food.
This discussion has been closed.