1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am disputing that (All who are blanketly saying that eating less can NOT stall your weight) are not correct.

No I can't name the study

We know you can't.

There isn't one.

Try reading the original material and interpreting it yourself instead of relying in some random podcast. If you do, you'll find that the research doesn't say what you think it does.

And I am trying to help the OP by getting actual data from her about her actual intake over time and actual weight. Just tossing out "oh you're in starvation mode, this podcast says so, so you have to eat more or else you won't lose weight" doesn't actually help her.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Yes, that is overweight. But "regardless of what the tape measure says"? You use the tape measure to track your progress. It's no different from the scale in that way.

ETA: Referring to your OP: you can eat as much as you want so long as it's under your TDEE and over your BMR and you'll still lose weight. At different rates, yes, but it's mostly about what you eat. You will not start gaining unless you eat over your TDEE.

ETA x2: You also seem to have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Feeling disgusting after eating and being paranoid about losing when you've been (supposedly) netting 600-1000 calories a day on a regular basis is not normal.

I don't feel disgusting after eating. I feel disgusting when I eat more just so I can reach 1200 or more calories when I am not hungry. I don't know why you feel I am paranoid about losing. I would like to lose weight, but I don't think I am paranoid about it.

If you're having a hard time eating the calories you need, then eat more calorie dense foods (nuts, etc.)

Your OP says several times that you're afraid of eating more and gaining weight. So... yeah.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "toning work out"? Yes, I do pilates or sculpting every day, but I also do a workout by Shaun T called T25 which kicks *kitten*. I also do a Fast & Furious Insanity workout a few times a week. I workout for about an hour almost everyday. Dripping sweat. What I am doing has got to be better than going for a walk and the T25 feels similar to climbing stairs for 25 minutes straight!!

I'm going to ask you a really dumb question here, so pardon me...

You only have one slice of these pizzas on the days you've made the pizza, is that correct? What happens to rest? Family eats it?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OP, I suggest you specifically answer Sara's questions, as directly and thoroughly as you can. Sara is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in helping people exactly like you.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    Yes, that is overweight. But "regardless of what the tape measure says"? You use the tape measure to track your progress. It's no different from the scale in that way.

ETA: Referring to your OP: you can eat as much as you want so long as it's under your TDEE and over your BMR and you'll still lose weight. At different rates, yes, but it's mostly about what you eat. You will not start gaining unless you eat over your TDEE.

ETA x2: You also seem to have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Feeling disgusting after eating and being paranoid about losing when you've been (supposedly) netting 600-1000 calories a day on a regular basis is not normal.

I don't feel disgusting after eating. I feel disgusting when I eat more just so I can reach 1200 or more calories when I am not hungry. I don't know why you feel I am paranoid about losing. I would like to lose weight, but I don't think I am paranoid about it.

If you're having a hard time eating the calories you need, then eat more calorie dense foods (nuts, etc.)

Your OP says several times that you're afraid of eating more and gaining weight. So... yeah.

But, the reason that I am not eating more is not because I am paranoid to gain. It is because I am simply not hungry. If I was hungry, I would eat. Trust me! I love to eat! It just seems counterproductive to eat more and eat when I am not even hungry because I want to lose weight.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You appear to have started logging less than one week ago. I presume you started your exercise at the same time.

When you exercise, your body retains water to repair tissues. It is normal to gain a few pounds due to this water retention when you increase or change your exercise routine.

Just keep doing what you're doing, though I would suggest more protein. And more calories overall. I suggest eating back those exercise calories.

This is a very good point! I forgot all about that one! This happens to me all the time or most of the time when I start a new exercise program. I don't lose weight on the scale but I do lose a lot of inches. If nobody has advised it yet, I would advise measuring yourself so that you can actually SEE inches lost vs the scale which isn't the best for measurements. Also, don't be scared to eat more food or increase your cals. When I 1st started, I didn't weigh myself after only 1 week of starting but I did lose 10 lbs the 1st month at 1200 cals. I stopped losing so I went up to 1400 cals and now I'm losing around 2 lbs a week if I'm doing everything like I should that week (eating & exercising or not going over cals). Even if you do gain weight by increasing your cals, you can't gain that much. It takes 3500 cals to gain 1 lb, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Everybody here is giving really good advice that I used and it DOES work. You just have to try it and change it up as you move along. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, do you pre-log your food or are you logging at the end of the day?
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    I opened up my diary. It is not psychological....I love to eat. That is why I am where I am. I just can't eat like I once was able to eat and I have gained about 10-15 lbs over the last 2 years or so. I have read a ton on this website and that is why I know everyone will tell me to eat more, but i don't want to gain weight!! I began changing my habits about a year ago. I started doing Shaun T's Insanity Fast & Furious 20 minute workout everyday but didn't change any eating habits. It changed my body somewhat and I know some things have shifted for the better, but only a 3 lb loss. I started watching my food intake about 2 months ago and began eating yogurt and granola instead of chips and dip, for example, and thought for sure that with some slight changes such as that along with a double workout everyday of 25 minutes T25 and some pilates/sculpting I would see changes, but nothing!! I would love to eat more, but just can't believe that eating more will aid in weight loss!! Help!!

You have logged for 6 days. How were you tracking food prior to that?

When did you start exercising?

I wrote down what I ate in a journal. I have been exercising religiously for a year. Pilates or sculpting everyday. And cardio or strength every day.

Sorry if I missed the answer, but:

- how long have you been at this intake level?

- do you have any metabolic issues such as hypothyroid or PCOS?

- do you use a digital food scale for non-liquids and measuring cups for liquids?

- what has your weight done over the last 4 and 8 weeks?

I have been eating like this for as long as I can remember, but started paying closer attention a few months ago when the scale wasn't moving even though I was working out. I have been counting calories for over a month. I don't have any issues that I know of, but haven't been checked. I use a scale and measuring cups. I don't weigh much food, I go by what the package says for servings. I measure my chicken with scale. My weight has been consistently around 164.....give or take a lb.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    OP, do you pre-log your food or are you logging at the end of the day?

I typically log my food in right before or right after I eat.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I opened up my diary. It is not psychological....I love to eat. That is why I am where I am. I just can't eat like I once was able to eat and I have gained about 10-15 lbs over the last 2 years or so. I have read a ton on this website and that is why I know everyone will tell me to eat more, but i don't want to gain weight!! I began changing my habits about a year ago. I started doing Shaun T's Insanity Fast & Furious 20 minute workout everyday but didn't change any eating habits. It changed my body somewhat and I know some things have shifted for the better, but only a 3 lb loss. I started watching my food intake about 2 months ago and began eating yogurt and granola instead of chips and dip, for example, and thought for sure that with some slight changes such as that along with a double workout everyday of 25 minutes T25 and some pilates/sculpting I would see changes, but nothing!! I would love to eat more, but just can't believe that eating more will aid in weight loss!! Help!!

I wrote down what I ate in a journal. I have been exercising religiously for a year. Pilates or sculpting everyday. And cardio or strength every day.

- do you use a digital food scale for non-liquids and measuring cups for liquids?

I have been eating like this for as long as I can remember, but started paying closer attention a few months ago when the scale wasn't moving even though I was working out. I have been counting calories for over a month. I don't have any issues that I know of, but haven't been checked. I use a scale and measuring cups. I don't weigh much food, I go by what the package says for servings. I measure my chicken with scale. My weight has been consistently around 164.....give or take a lb.

Do you keep records of your weight over time?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost in total and over what period of time?
  • meg192327
    meg192327 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. It will come off. :)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    >> My calories are still the same. <<

Just remember that a calorie is not a calorie. For example, protein require more calories to digest than carbohydrates. High-glycemic foods that cause an insulin spike are more likely to end up stored as fat than low-glycemic foods with the same calorie count.

If you're really puzzled by the lack of weight loss, I suggest you try this (it works for me): get rid of almost all of the sugar and other high-glycemic carbs in your diet. No crackers, pizza, white bread, white rice, sugary creamers, etc., for at least a week. Go light on the fruit for a while, too (when you do have them, have grapefruit, blueberries, strawberries, and other low-sugar fruit). Substitute in whole wheat bread (100% whole wheat, not the mixed ww/white flour junk), vegetables, salads w/lite, no-sugar dressing, squash, bran cereal (FiberOne is a great choice), and of course, high-protein foods like chicken breast, pork loin, fish, hard-boiled eggs, and Greek yogurt. You'd be surprised how filling this stuff is. Get your fat from good sources like salmon, avocados, olive oil, etc.

If you're sedentary for much of the day, other than when you're exercising, see if you can get up and move around more during the day. For instance, I stand and stretch while watching TV. I never take an escalator if stairs are available. These little things add up.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    >> My calories are still the same. <<

Just remember that a calorie is not a calorie. For example, protein require more calories to digest than carbohydrates. High-glycemic foods that cause an insulin spike are more likely to end up stored as fat than low-glycemic foods with the same calorie count.

If you're really puzzled by the lack of weight loss, I suggest you try this (it works for me): get rid of almost all of the sugar and other high-glycemic carbs in your diet. No crackers, pizza, white bread, white rice, sugary creamers, etc., for at least a week. Go light on the fruit for a while, too (when you do have them, have grapefruit, blueberries, strawberries, and other low-sugar fruit). Substitute in whole wheat bread (100% whole wheat, not the mixed ww/white flour junk), vegetables, salads w/lite, no-sugar dressing, squash, bran cereal (FiberOne is a great choice), and of course, high-protein foods like chicken breast, pork loin, fish, hard-boiled eggs, and Greek yogurt. You'd be surprised how filling this stuff is. Get your fat from good sources like salmon, avocados, olive oil, etc.

This is nonsense.
  • Kayem2011
    Options
    Hi,

Basically, it doesn't matter if you are 'overweight' or think you have a lot of fat already- if you exercising intensely and not eating enough you are putting a lot of stress and pressure on your body, with not enough to fuel it.

Your body will react to this stress by holding on to your fat stores to preserve itself - this is why you are not losing weight.

I would suggest going to see an exercise professional and getting your measurements done - BMI, BMR, fat % etc. They will help you work out how many calories you need to eat to maintain or lose weight in a healthy way. You should be able to go to your local gym and see if someone will help you with this.

You should not be afraid you are going to put on weight by eating more than 1200 cals - in fact you will be doing your health and body a favour by eating more. You will start to lose weight if you exercise and eat healthily.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    What do you mean by "toning work out"? Yes, I do pilates or sculpting every day, but I also do a workout by Shaun T called T25 which kicks *kitten*. I also do a Fast & Furious Insanity workout a few times a week. I workout for about an hour almost everyday. Dripping sweat. What I am doing has got to be better than going for a walk and the T25 feels similar to climbing stairs for 25 minutes straight!!

I'm going to ask you a really dumb question here, so pardon me...

You only have one slice of these pizzas on the days you've made the pizza, is that correct? What happens to rest? Family eats it?

Family ate the rest.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Me too. Same height, same weight, same problem. A couple of months ago someone said "eat more" , and I gained 4 pounds in a week. Hard to take that off! I am 62.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options

Do you keep records of your weight over time?

My weight has been consistently fluctuating between 163-165 over the last 8 months or so. I lost about 3 lbs between November 2012 and February 2013. November 2012 is when I began working out.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Fighting the common misconception of "starvation mode" feels like bailing the titanic w/ a thimble.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    How much weight have you lost in total and over what period of time?

Over a period of about 2 years I gained 10 lbs. A year ago I decided to start working out and lost 3 lbs between Nov 2012 and Feb 2013. No weight loss since, even though I have increased my workouts!
This discussion has been closed.