1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" and 164 lbs. so I definitely have some weight to lose.

So somewhere around 35-40% body fat. That would put your BMR right around 1300. With a 1.25 multiplier and 150 calories/day in net exercise you're looking at a TDEE of approximately 1750-1800. 20% off of there is about 1400 calories/day. That's less than 1 lb/week - you're going to need to be patient.

One thing is certain - you definitely do not need to be eating more.

So, you are saying 1400 calories/day. But you are also saying that I "definitely do not need to be eating more". Please explain.

Eating too little does not and cannot make you stop losing weight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So somewhere around 35-40% body fat. That would put your BMR right around 1300. With a 1.25 multiplier and 150 calories/day in net exercise you're looking at a TDEE of approximately 1750-1800. 20% off of there is about 1400 calories/day. That's less than 1 lb/week - you're going to need to be patient.

She's eating around 1000 calories a day and you say she definitely does not need to eat more?

That's just bad advice.
  • jonnythan
    Options

She's eating around 1000 calories a day and you say she definitely does not need to eat more?

That's just bad advice.

She should eat more, but "eating too little" is not the reason she's not losing weight.
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories. Boost it to 1,500 for a week and see what happens.
  • dshields2013
    Options
    Water is essential. At least 8 glasses a day. I didn't see any water logged. I also agree that your sodium intake is a little too high.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    BS... if you are truly eating 1200 calories and exercising you will lose weight. If you are not losing weight.. u are not eating 1200 calories. End of story. Also if you are 164 lbs at 5'4... there is no change of starvation mode. When your bodyfat hits 10% or so.. there is a chance of starvation mode then.

At a deficit you will ALWAYS lose weight.

Agreed. Weigh everything to the gram. Don't use a measuring cup for your granola. When you weigh it, it will almost certainly be less than the measuring cup would have provided. (I just had dinner of frozen eggplant. It says there are 5 servings in the box, but I find that it actually ranges from 5.23 - 5.4 servings in the box. So if I just based my calories on the fact that I ate the whole box, I would have undercounted my calories.) Even those quick bites/sips of things add up. Either measure them, add quick add calories to account for them, or don't eat/drink them. Log this diligently for a month and see if you show progress.
  • lvigue
    lvigue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Avocado's are really good if you like them, a good source of heart healthy fat and has 150-200 calories in one. Healthy snack, not over filling and will get you to 1200 :) good luck!!!!
  • brower47
    Options

That's just bad advice.

She should eat more, but "eating too little" is not the reason she's not losing weight.

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to combat the "don't eat more than 1000 calories" advice.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You have no idea what she's eating - there isn't enough history to know. Based on most other people, any self-reported number needs to be increased by 30% (or more) until proven otherwise.

What we do know is that she's not losing weight, which means she is not eating at a deficit for her activity level, which means eating more will simply cause her to gain weight.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    You appear to have started logging less than one week ago. I presume you started your exercise at the same time.

When you exercise, your body retains water to repair tissues. It is normal to gain a few pounds due to this water retention when you increase or change your exercise routine.

Just keep doing what you're doing, though I would suggest more protein. And more calories overall. I suggest eating back those exercise calories.

No, I have been exercising daily for a year. Prior to that, I did not exercise at all. I have an office job, so up to a year ago, very little exercise. I am more defined, not so much a muffin-top, etc. from a year ago, but only down 3 pounds. I did the entire T25 program religiously and even did double workouts several times a week this summer. Again, a little change in appearance, but no weight loss. A month ago I decided to pay closer attention to what I eat. I have been counting calories for a month, just started logging here last week.

How do you measure, for example, your tortilla chips?

And what has your weight been, exactly, over the past month?

Tortilla chips.......I count them. I believe the serving size is 14 or so. My weight is holding strong at 164.....usually within a half pound either way.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    erm... yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't lose... and like I mentioned in my post above (with links to a podcast explaining the phenomenon) - Including a starvation mode study.
    That dieting can stall your weight loss in particular instances as described in podcast.
    based on peer reviewed research.

we can all be pedants about this - and LOL at those who say eat more to lose just because you are taking the literal meaning of the term. But strict interpretation of English is not useful to anyone.

So even if the term Starvation Mode is erroneous, the idea that eating too little can stall weight loss is not.

Play that Funky Music
    and
    Stop Playing that Funky Music

two different meanings for Funky.

Eat more to Lose and Don't put your body in Starvation Mode - does not literally translate to eat in a surplus OR putting your body in a literal Starvation Mode. Just like the Paleo diet - does not actually mean eating like historical ancestors. So stop harping on the language nuances and actually start providing useful information that makes sense and is backed up.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You appear to have started logging less than one week ago. I presume you started your exercise at the same time.

When you exercise, your body retains water to repair tissues. It is normal to gain a few pounds due to this water retention when you increase or change your exercise routine.

Just keep doing what you're doing, though I would suggest more protein. And more calories overall. I suggest eating back those exercise calories.

No, I have been exercising daily for a year. Prior to that, I did not exercise at all. I have an office job, so up to a year ago, very little exercise. I am more defined, not so much a muffin-top, etc. from a year ago, but only down 3 pounds. I did the entire T25 program religiously and even did double workouts several times a week this summer. Again, a little change in appearance, but no weight loss. A month ago I decided to pay closer attention to what I eat. I have been counting calories for a month, just started logging here last week.

How do you measure, for example, your tortilla chips?

And what has your weight been, exactly, over the past month?

Tortilla chips.......I count them. I believe the serving size is 14 or so. My weight is holding strong at 164.....usually within a half pound either way.

Counting is rather inaccurate. You need to weigh the chips. You need to weigh everything you possibly can. Literally. Anything that gives weight information you need to weigh. Crackers, chips, ice cream, whatever.

What was your weight on September 1?
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    Water is essential. At least 8 glasses a day. I didn't see any water logged. I also agree that your sodium intake is a little too high.

Most days I drink 64 ounces.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is not working, you could definitely just TRY something else for a few days and see if it works. You aren't going to gain 50lbs eating 1600 calories for 3 days in a row, and if you do, then you know there is a MUCH bigger issue going on with your health.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    erm... yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't loss...

No, this is false. Nonsensical in fact.
  • brower47
    Options

You have no idea what she's eating - there isn't enough history to know. Based on most other people, any self-reported number needs to be increased by 30% (or more) until proven otherwise.

What we do know is that she's not losing weight, which means she is not eating at a deficit for her activity level, which means eating more will simply cause her to gain weight.

I was only going by what she's reporting. I can't make assumptions beyond that. I can give advice that she should weigh and measure everything that goes into her mouth and then advise that she needs to eat more than those measured 1000 calories. But you gave the advice to eat no more than she is with out any frame of reference (as in stating that she's probably underestimating her intake). Without the qualification, you confuse her and possibly make her think that eating less than 1000 calories is the only way for her to lose weight.
  • Qski
    Options
    If what you are doing is not working, you could definitely just TRY something else for a few days and see if it works. You aren't going to gain 50lbs eating 1600 calories for 3 days in a row, and if you do, then you know there is a MUCH bigger issue going on with your health.

It may take more than a few days but this makes perfect sense - Try something slightly different for a week or 2 weeks and see if there are any sustained changes and if that doesn't help, then try something else different.
    If you have been eating and exercising at a reasonably constant level and experiencing no change for a long time, then taking a little time to work on different options is not going to hurt in the long run.
  • Qski
    Options
    erm... yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't loss...

Will only accept response with peer reviewed studies in response to the peer reviewed information I have already linked to. You saying No, is not sufficient evidence.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't loss...
    That's why obesity is such an epidemic in developing nations with widespread food inadequacy. Oh, wait, it's not.

OP, since weight loss is only ever triggered by a deficit between the amount of calories you consume and the amount you expend in your day to day activities, you're likely eating more than you think you are. At 5'4 and 164 lbs, you don't have all that much to lose until you're in the healthy BMI range and your weight loss is going to be slower than someone who has a lot to lose. Whenever I seem to have hit a "plateau" it's because I'm not tracking very carefully, not weighing my food, etc.

Watch this video to see why weighing your food is a zillion times more accurate than eyeballing it, using measuring cups, or counting chips or whatever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY I've been weighing religiously ever since I watched it, and never fail to lose between .5 and 1 lb a week.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Will only accept response with peer reviewed studies in response to the peer reviewed information I have already linked to. You saying No, is not sufficient evidence.

There is no peer-reviewed science showing that eating too little can make you stop losing weight. None.
This discussion has been closed.