1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options

Replies

• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think you need to look into "basal metabolic rate" and "total daily energy expenditure."
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

And regarding this...
    Again, a little change in appearance, but no weight loss.
    [\quote]
    ...switch to a tape measure as your metric rather than the scale.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't loss...
    That's why obesity is such an epidemic in developing nations with widespread food inadequacy. Oh, wait, it's not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY I've been weighing religiously ever since I watched it, and never fail to lose between .5 and 1 lb a week.

Have you actually read my post or the (again) peer reviewed research I mentioned more than once supporting what I have written
    - including the line where I clearly stated - "There is no getting out of the fact that you need to eat at a deficit to lose weight - but eating way less than your deficit can result in your losses stalling because of a fine balance your body is in at the time. "

So again... if you have actual science to back it up - then bring it on, but none of you do, and I have.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Did you gain initially when you added those 300 calories? I don't need it to fall off fast. But, I am not seeing any progress. It just seems to me that since I am working out more than I ever have in my life, I should be losing weight. I am so confused!!

What do you expect ? You joined in November. That means you are tops " working out more than ever in your life " for 9 days. You started to log on Monday the 4th, which means that you are at it for 6 days. I think you are expecting too much too fast.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    She's eating around 1000 calories a day and you say she definitely does not need to eat more?

You have no idea what she's eating - there isn't enough history to know. Based on most other people, any self-reported number needs to be increased by 30% (or more) until proven otherwise.

What we do know is that she's not losing weight, which means she is not eating at a deficit for her activity level, which means eating more will simply cause her to gain weight.

Yes!! That is what my logical brain tells me. If I am not losing now, why would I lose if I eat another 200 calories/day?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Your need to eat more because your body is in starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode it will retain everything you eat and turn it into fat to survive. In addition, your body will start to steal nutrients from your muscles, which will increase your body fat % and decrease your lean muscle mass. Also, your metabolism is probably very slow because your not eating enough. You should increase your calories to 1400 calories a day and make sure you get at least 75 grams of protein a day. The first 2 weeks you get the proper nutrition your body needs (1400 cals, 75g protein) you might gain a couple of pounds because your body is currently in starvation mode (will retain everything). When your body realizes you are going to feed it properly then you will start to lose weight because your metabolism will speed up and your body will stop storing everything and stealing from your muscles. It is also good to have one "cheat meal" a week where your calories for that day will go above 1600 calories. This is like throwing your body a curve ball and will aid in more weight loss. Never let your body get to use to anything. Finally, make sure you mix up your cardio workouts and strength train at least 2 times a week. You should be working out at least 30 mins-1hr, 5 days a week. Good Luck!

Let's say this together....HER BODY IS NOT IN STARVATION MODE, NOT NOW AND NOT LIKELY EVER.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    erm... yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't loss...

No, this is false. Nonsensical in fact.

Will only accept response with peer reviewed studies in response to the peer reviewed information I have already linked to. You saying No, is not sufficient evidence.

There is no peer-reviewed science showing that eating too little can make you stop losing weight. None.

dude, I linked to it

You linked to a podcast which references a handful of studies that talk about "less than expected" weight loss and metabolic slowing.

None of the linked studies show it's possible to stop losing weight if your caloric deficit is too high.

Think about it for a second. If you don't eat anything at all, you will lose weight. If you eat a moderate deficit, you will lose weight. There isn't some magic in-between value where you don't lose weight.
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options

Did you gain initially when you added those 300 calories? I don't need it to fall off fast. But, I am not seeing any progress. It just seems to me that since I am working out more than I ever have in my life, I should be losing weight. I am so confused!!

What do you expect ? You joined in November. That means you are tops " working out more than ever in your life " for 9 days. You started to log on Monday the 4th, which means that you are at it for 6 days. I think you are expecting too much too fast.

No, No!! I started logging here on the 4th. But, I have been working out for a year. I have been counting calories for over a month! Don't assume that my journey started the day I joined myfitnesspal.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Could you link the actual study instead of an inpruvism podcast?
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    Your need to eat more because your body is in starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode it will retain everything you eat and turn it into fat to survive. In addition, your body will start to steal nutrients from your muscles, which will increase your body fat % and decrease your lean muscle mass. Also, your metabolism is probably very slow because your not eating enough. You should increase your calories to 1400 calories a day and make sure you get at least 75 grams of protein a day. The first 2 weeks you get the proper nutrition your body needs (1400 cals, 75g protein) you might gain a couple of pounds because your body is currently in starvation mode (will retain everything). When your body realizes you are going to feed it properly then you will start to lose weight because your metabolism will speed up and your body will stop storing everything and stealing from your muscles. It is also good to have one "cheat meal" a week where your calories for that day will go above 1600 calories. This is like throwing your body a curve ball and will aid in more weight loss. Never let your body get to use to anything. Finally, make sure you mix up your cardio workouts and strength train at least 2 times a week. You should be working out at least 30 mins-1hr, 5 days a week. Good Luck!

Let's say this together....HER BODY IS NOT IN STARVATION MODE, NOT NOW AND NOT LIKELY EVER.

I AGREE!! I workout hard every day! I have energy to do it. I am not tired or worn down. I have added muscle so I am sure my body fat % had dropped. I just expect the scale to be moving in a downwards direction by this point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No, No!! I started logging here on the 4th. But, I have been working out for a year. I have been counting calories for over a month! Don't assume that my journey started the day I joined myfitnesspal.

We can only work with the data we have.

What was your weight on September 1? October 1? November 1? November 10?

Where were you logging before MFP?
  • nannymarty04
    nannymarty04 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, the last 2 months all the scale does is go up 1lb down 1lb, bur i have chf and a-fib heart problems, so it's hard trying to eat normal, but i stick to it the best i can,
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this entire thread, so I may be repeating something that's already been said. But my advice is this: it's unrealistic and unhealthy to lower your calorie intake any further, so you may want to consider gradually increasing your calories instead, especially with the amount of exercise you've been doing. You may see an initial gain on the scale due to your body storing glycogen/water, but if you're in a calorie deficit, you will not gain any actual weight.
    Plug all of your information into MFP with a goal to lose 1 lb a week (or less) and work your way up to eating the calorie goal that it gives you (plus exercise).

Oh, and make sure you're logging accurately. :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    She's eating around 1000 calories a day and you say she definitely does not need to eat more?

You have no idea what she's eating - there isn't enough history to know. Based on most other people, any self-reported number needs to be increased by 30% (or more) until proven otherwise.

What we do know is that she's not losing weight, which means she is not eating at a deficit for her activity level, which means eating more will simply cause her to gain weight.

Which other people, I'm not sure I understand this? I don't think I've ever heard it? Care to explain?
  • sillysquirrel68
    Options
    I think you need to look into "basal metabolic rate" and "total daily energy expenditure."
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

And regarding this...
    Again, a little change in appearance, but no weight loss.
    [\quote]
    ...switch to a tape measure as your metric rather than the scale.

I admit that my appearance has definitely improved. But let's be honest, 164 lbs at 5'5" is overweight, regardless of what a tape measure says.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary for today, and here are a few observations, FWIW:

- You're under your calorie goal for the day, which may be working against you. If your calorie intake is too low (as I'm sure you already know), your body will start to conserve energy and your metabolism will slow down to prevent starvation.

- You didn't log how much water you drank. Staying hydrated is important for weight loss. Try this: drink 2 8-ounce glasses of water before each meal. Not only will it help you stay hydrated, but it will also help keep you from overeating, by making you feel fuller.

- The things you're eating are calorie-dense and not very filling (one-quarter of a pizza, a cappuccino, crackers, sausage patties). Try foods that are higher in protein and low in fat, and also try some lower-density filling foods like sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, bran cereal, etc. Plain greek yogurt (Oikos is my favorite) topped with blueberries and a tablespoon of honey is great for dessert, and less than 170 calories. Chicken breast marinated in Ken's Northern Italian Lite Dressing is excellent, and you could eat a very filling 8 oz of it for about what that slice of pizza cost you.

- Are you doing any strength training? Most people don't realize how much strength training helps trim fat. Not only does the workout itself burn calories (for me, about 225 for a 1-hr workout), but muscle tissue itself burns a lot of calories. If your cardio-only workout is getting boring, adding some strength training can help mix it up and keep you motivated. Plus, once the fat starts to melt away, you'll be really happy to see some nicely toned muscles start to emerge!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    yes eating too little in some circumstances can mean people don't loss...
    That's why obesity is such an epidemic in developing nations with widespread food inadequacy. Oh, wait, it's not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY I've been weighing religiously ever since I watched it, and never fail to lose between .5 and 1 lb a week.

Have you actually read my post or the (again) peer reviewed research I mentioned more than once supporting what I have written
    - including the line where I clearly stated - "There is no getting out of the fact that you need to eat at a deficit to lose weight - but eating way less than your deficit can result in your losses stalling because of a fine balance your body is in at the time. "

So again... if you have actual science to back it up - then bring it on, but none of you do, and I have.

1. Yes, I read your post. You did not link to any peer reviewed studies. You linked to a vague podcast that made vague allusions to it.

2. Your losses do not stall completely when you don't eat enough. Your metabolism may slow down, but it doesn't grind to a halt. This is just basic physics. Your body can't sustain itself on too little fuel, so it starts consuming its own fat and muscles.

I'm not advocating that people eat 1000 calories a day - I like food way too much to do that. But here is an article (with lots of links at the end) that I found helpful whenever I hit a "plateau" with my weight loss. Maybe you'll find it helpful, too.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Yes, that is overweight. But "regardless of what the tape measure says"? You use the tape measure to track your progress. It's no different from the scale in that way.

ETA: Referring to your OP: you can eat as much as you want so long as it's under your TDEE and over your BMR and you'll still lose weight. At different rates, yes, but it's mostly about what you eat. You will not start gaining unless you eat over your TDEE.

ETA x2: You also seem to have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Feeling disgusting after eating and being paranoid about losing when you've been (supposedly) netting 600-1000 calories a day on a regular basis is not normal.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I expect you're eating more than you think you are. Are you logging every single thing you eat, including snacks, drinks, condiments, etc.?
    my thoughts also

any cheat days?
    a cheat day can wipe out 6 days of caloric deficit
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    True to your name...Silly....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary. It is not psychological....I love to eat. That is why I am where I am. I just can't eat like I once was able to eat and I have gained about 10-15 lbs over the last 2 years or so. I have read a ton on this website and that is why I know everyone will tell me to eat more, but i don't want to gain weight!! I began changing my habits about a year ago. I started doing Shaun T's Insanity Fast & Furious 20 minute workout everyday but didn't change any eating habits. It changed my body somewhat and I know some things have shifted for the better, but only a 3 lb loss. I started watching my food intake about 2 months ago and began eating yogurt and granola instead of chips and dip, for example, and thought for sure that with some slight changes such as that along with a double workout everyday of 25 minutes T25 and some pilates/sculpting I would see changes, but nothing!! I would love to eat more, but just can't believe that eating more will aid in weight loss!! Help!!

Edited as I saw a response to my initial questions.

What were your average calories before MFP? How were you tracking? Do you use a food scale?
This discussion has been closed.