stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options
i understand cardio is important(depending on what kind you're doing), but where are women getting the idea that lifting weights will make them aminly and bulky from? for the ladies that do lift...can you PLEASE share with us how lifting weights have made a difference to your physique and health?

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just send them this article:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Seems to help explain most of it.
  • bigred503
    Options
    lets just say that my measurements are exactly the same as they were 2 yrs ago when i lost weight. only two years ago i was 15 lbs lighter. p.s. i love staci from nerdfitness! now thats what i call inspiration!
  • _Jessicastro
    Options
    I love lifting. Specially on arm day I have seing a difference in my arms and legs. Def. worth it!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well I'd lift if it was not going to injure my back some more. So I do cardio instead.

You can't know why people can't lift. Yes some people CAN NOT LIFT at all.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think that a toned female body is just a beautiful thing. And for the most part ... the only way that I have seen that toned can really happen is by lifting some weights.

Myself .. I have noticed my body getting more toned since I have started weights. So it does seem to work well.

But I would have to say that from what I have seen here at MFP .. most women are looking to lose body fat, and lose weight. Getting toned is not necessarily the goal for many people .. thus this route is not as popular as it could be.

What do I know any ways ... just spilling out words here.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    And for the most part ... the only way that I have seen that toned can really happen is by lifting some weights.

Agree, I like the way I look and feel now more then when I was doing all the damn cardio :smile:
  • bigred503
    Options
    IMO cardio is a waste in a calorie deficit. Literally. Say goodbye to beautiful lean muscle! Id rather sit in a moderate cal deficit while losing fat and gaining (thank god for noob gains) muscle. Plus, I like lifting weights. I want to feel strong and look good naked, not feel weak and look good in clothes, buts thats just my goal :)
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Only just started lifting weights last week and I love it but.....I love my cardio too so the answer do both. I've changed my workout and have a great balance between the two. People need to do what works for them and what they enjoy as for many they are just returning to exercise and want to start off gently. It can be intimidating especially for women to make that step from the cardio machines to the weights area especially when they haven't got confidence in their body image.
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

+1

I'm just not interested in weight lifting at this time. Some people, girls and guys seem to talk about how "skinny fat" is just wrong, or something about how we look bad naked? Idk I get confused. Anyways, I am perfectly happy with "skinny fat" and I find cardio easier and more accessible, I can walk, jog, use elliptical, bike etc. whereas the only weights I have are 5lb hand weights. No gym membership for me. Out of our price range. Cardio is just easier, I may do some weight stuff later when I hit goal, but honestly, probably not.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I actually do feel that weights have made me bulky in some areas, more so than when I was more focused on just cardio. Before I was just fat and now I have that look of a defensive football player, only on a miniature scale. However, I need to lose some bodyfat. Right now my calves and biceps have more muscle mass than I would like to see, and they don't have a lot of fat on them. I don't think I would trade that though for the gains I've seen in strength and power and the positive changes in my back and shoulders. I feel that I am an anomaly. I don't see anyone else in my gym who is female and looks like me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1. I don't want to.

+1

I'm just not interested in weight lifting at this time. Some people, girls and guys seem to talk about how "skinny fat" is just wrong, or something about how we look bad naked? Idk I get confused. Anyways, I am perfectly happy with "skinny fat" and I find cardio easier and more accessible, I can walk, jog, use elliptical, bike etc. whereas the only weights I have are 5lb hand weights. No gym membership for me. Out of our price range. Cardio is just easier, I may do some weight stuff later when I hit goal, but honestly, probably not.
    Perfectly happy with skinny fat? So you're perfectly happy with having all the same health risks and problems as an overweight/obese person, but because you weigh less on the scale it's ok?
  • bigred503
    Options
    Perfectly happy with skinny fat? So you're perfectly happy with having all the same health risks and problems as an overweight/obese person, but because you weigh less on the scale it's ok?

one of my 4 reasons on my profile of why i want to be in shape! i want to avoid health risks as i age.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The seven months Ive been lifting is the longest Ive been back pain free for years. Everything else - yoga, running, swimming would set it off. Plus I look better and I love being stronger
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1. I don't want to.

+1

Yes, I have no problem with that. I don't see many runners that have health issues like obese people though, and I don't see many skinny fat girls that need to have breathing devices on when they sleep.... or have heart issues or are diabetic, I am confused? So if I am 5'6 and weigh 130 (my goal) you are saying you are healthier then me because you lift? Big deal, good for you. Lifting or not lifting weights has no significant impact on your health alone. There are many other factors involved. So lift your weights, I will do my cardio. Just because I may not have an ab popping out to show off to the world all my vanity, who cares.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    One thing I do find is that people often say, "Wow, you've lost so much weight lately." And I respond that I have not lost weight in a year. I changed my body composition.

Weight lifting is great for helping women achieve and maintain bone density, so don't knock it just because you happen to like cardio better. I happen to like both. I feel that weights have had a much greater impact on how I look though.
  • Joyyfull4u
    Joyyfull4u Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights. I am currently doing Body Beast with Turbo Fire cardio. I have more weight to lose and I will be toned when I lose the weight. Beastette right here all day!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights doesnt make you big ....lifting cakes on the other hand ......
  • Cherrylicious_Curves
    Options
    Well I do both! Just love how I feel after running and weight lifting... Powerful BEASTRESS!!