stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people don't understand how intimidating it is for a woman to start lifting. I do some body weight exercises at home and will work on weight machines in the gym but the free weight room is full of huge guys, I just don't feel welcomed and my efforts were sometimes laughed at. Additionally I feel to properly lift heavy you really need instruction, or can risk some serious injuries, and I definitely cannot afford a personal trainer!

You were laughed at?

I have never been laughed at (that I know of). Usually I have found guys to be pretty encouraging.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

I used to think all those things. Then I started lifting, in moderation, and now I enjoy it. And I like the changes it's making to my body.

It really is kind of like eating healthy. If your *only* goal is weight loss, eating healthy or lifting is not required.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    such delight to see this topic. again.

...and again, and again...

I'll give my usual comments to the topic that a good fitness routine includes both lifting and cardio. The problem with cardio is people get carried away with it & believe it's the only route to fat loss which is false. On the flip side, people who lift think they're muscle is going to go bye-bye if they do a little cardio, which also is false. People forget the heart is a muscle too, and the most important one at that.

I personally lift 4x a week & do cardio x1 a week, x2 if I can fit in my schedule. On days I do cardio I simply eat more. I personally don't want to be that person that looks great but can't run a mile without dying.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people don't understand how intimidating it is for a woman to start lifting. I do some body weight exercises at home and will work on weight machines in the gym but the free weight room is full of huge guys, I just don't feel welcomed and my efforts were sometimes laughed at. Additionally I feel to properly lift heavy you really need instruction, or can risk some serious injuries, and I definitely cannot afford a personal trainer!

You were laughed at?

I have never been laughed at (that I know of). Usually I have found guys to be pretty encouraging.

This. I work out at Gold's and I have never had any issues - a lot of the anxiousness you feel is in your head because it's something new. Once you get over that intimidation, the empowerment you get from progressive lifting is amazing. I honestly don't talk to anyone at the gym - I nod to the people I see every morning, but everyone does their own thing.

Not to mention, some of the "huge guys" have really bad form.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just recently started strength training / weight lifting and I can't wait to see the results! Especially since I have zero upper body strength! LOL!
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Read later
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I hate myself sometimes for not hitting the weights at the gym. Am I scared of the guys? F-no. I have to chuckle to myself when I see a guy struggling to bench LESS than what I can. So, why do I lift at home? Because there I can curse and pull faces to my heart's content!

Do wish I could get over myself and join them, though, eventually my weights at home won't be heavy enough.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    <
    Squats 110# and deadlifts 145#. Also runs on occasion.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read thru all the pros, cons & whatnots so I'll just add in my side:
    If I hadn't been lifting weights before getting pregnant earlier this year, there is a 95% chance I would have been on bed rest by 6 months due to the weight in my growing belly & damage from the neck down from car accidents. As it is, my back went out only 4 times, I dealt with it, got it back in place & life went on. I'm at 39 weeks as of today (for those who don't know, that means I'm a week or less away from meeting my Son face to face!).
    I looked bulkier when I tried just cardio years ago that when I started weight lifting. Before prego-ness, I was benching 70 & squating 100+. Plan on going back into it as soon as Doc give me clearance as I MISS the endorphine rush of pushing those weights around!!
    In the meantime, my "gain" has been mostly belly so my prior weight training means I'll be back in shape quicker & stronger than ever before within 6 months - maybe even less :happy:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    <-- Look at how manly lifting made me :/ I sprouted antlers!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    i understand cardio is important(depending on what kind you're doing), but where are women getting the idea that lifting weights will make them aminly and bulky from? for the ladies that do lift...can you PLEASE share with us how lifting weights have made a difference to your physique and health?

Why you gotta tell women what to do? Can't they just decide for themselves?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.

I bought a weight bench at JC Penneys for 126 dollars and I lifted at home. Now I'm in a smaller place and have nowhere to set it up so I go to the gym. But lifting weights doesn't mean you need a gym membership. Or a bench for that matter. Buy some dumb bells and lift at home.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using cardio to create an extra deficit, especially for women. Problem is TOO much cardio is being done and very little resistance training is being performed.

The case against cardio is far over blown.

^This
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I lift because I love it! I HATE cardio! I have lost weight doing both and I can say from MY personal experience when I lost weight while doing cardio only I may have weighed less but I did not look half as good as I do now being at a higher weight and exclusively lifting.

Also you DO NOT have to wait until you've lost all your weight to get "toned" (I just threw up in my mouth a little from the use of that word)
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Every 4 weeks im entitled to a program review... I used my first one to get the dude to show me how to do the lifts in strong lifts... I also watched a few vids on you tube... for form ;) and I got him back a few weeks later to check my form... im lucky my gym is pretty quiet... depending on the day and time... mid morning is pretty quiet.. I get in and go then :) once you know what your doing you feel like you belong there..
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I put if off because I was too shy initially to ask for help. Since I made my mind up and starting lifting, I see changes in my body overall. I am only mad at myself for not lifting sooner.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

#4 is where I am at, it may be bass ackwards but I don't understand toning muscle that is hidden behind 70lbs of fat. Once I am closer to my goal weight I will tone up my body as I do enjoy lifiting and doing cardio
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    1. I don't want to.

I don't feel that anyone has to hit the weights (reasons 1-3 make sense), but your fourth reason for not doing it is that you're going to to do it eventually..? So why not start now if you're going to be doing it anyway? And not being able to do squats or lunges is more motivation to work on them so you can actually do a few.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I lift because I love it! Lifting is not for everyone obviously. Some people have the fear of bulking, others dont know where to begin, and then there are those that just want to do what they enjoy. I like the fact that my weight didn't change for over a year but my body composition sure did. I love having lean sexy muscles and being able to lift heavy. It makes me smile when I'm in the weight room deadlifing more then a man :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    In...

... for Groundhog Day!