How much time do you dedicate to lifting?

Options
124»

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying they workout for 1.5 hours/ 5 times a week at the gym and I just don't have the time to do that.

thats way too much time for any novice.... totally unnecessary and in many cases counterproductive.... if a lot of it is walking or light cardio I'd understand, but, that inst really necessary.

You'll make excellent progress spending 3-4 hours in a gym a week. Thats including warmups and cool downs and some stretching. Probably 1.5 to 2.5 hours of actual lifting. Actual time under the bar will be something like 30 minutes a week (60 sets * 30 seconds). Possibly less. other 1.5 hours will be spent resting between sets.

Isnt that what you really wanted to know?

This thread is full of "gym rats"... The average of whats been stated is far more than is necessary to get good results.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I do an UB/LB split, so I lift min 4x- max 6x a week, depending on how I feel for lifts. I don't rest for most (I alternate sets between 2), and the actual lifting usually takes 30-40 minutes.

That includes about 5-8 minutes of higher-rep ab lifting that I use to warmup, because I find it easier to warm up with abs than cardio, etc. That's just me, not a recommendation, lol. But I include it as lifting because it is lifting, even though I do it mainly to get the blood flowing and everything moving.

I do yoga or dance after unless I'm too worn out, and that's what I do on my other days. The time varies wildly on those.

edit: Oh, I do mainly isolated lifts because of some conditions I have that necessitate that.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You could get excellent results with 30-45 min 3 times a week. It doesn't matter how long anyone else spends in the gym.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Because I'm @ home, I take my time on workouts. I can spend 45-60min just doing either squats or deads or other compounds I wanna go heavier on resting 2-5min in between sometimes active rest. Then I'll spend another 1/2hr or so doing some bodybuilding ish. Added abs to every workout so it can be 90-120min workout 4x every 7 days; on 2/off 1.

Eta: I don't think the gym would let me do 7-8 sets on a squat rack for an hour. I'd be rushing, lol. But other posters are right, who cares what every one else is doing! Get in there!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Total volume required to elicit an adaptation will depend on training experience.

You should use the minimum effective dose e.g. a beginner does not NEED to do 6+hrs of resistance training per week. Once you become more experienced, you can handle more volume and won't just drive yourself into the ground with too much training. Obviously the type of training and goals also make a big difference e.g. spending 2hrs squatting heavy weights takes a lot more energy (and recovery) then doing 2hrs of biceps and triceps.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    60-80 minutes 4 dAys a week
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for information. :flowerforyou:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Research Stronglifts 5x5: 30 mins 3x per week.

This is what I do! Getting sexier and stronger every week. :)
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

It seems like a lot of people see success between 45 to 60 min at least 3 times a week. That seems pretty feasable if I am also doing other forms of activities at home.

I am tempted to invest in weights at home but the space is pretty limited and I am not ready to chuck out my elliptical just yet.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    15-30 minutes, 3-4 times a week. Sometimes less, usually not more.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone here has already said this, but you dedicate what time you can.

I have the time in the evenings, so I spend about an hour at the gym 4 days a week. Don't need any more time to get the work done.

I wouldn't worry so much about how long you take, as much as the quality of what you do there. If you want to be more efficient, make sure you're basing your routine on the main compound lifts like bench, ohp, barbell squats, deadlifts, and barbell rows.

They hit multiple muscle groups at a time, and you should be focusing on them regardless.