13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat

Options

Replies

• djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good article, too bad this is going to turn into a war zone. It happens every time someone points out the befits of a low carb lifestyle
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In a few years there will another one to add to the nutrition lies, but it will still be 13 since one of the lies is in your list - that gluten is bad for everyone.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Taubes Is a joke

^ understatement of the year candidate.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hahaha... They wrote "just the tip" giggity
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    interesting stuff here thanks
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    In to find later.

I don't agree with 2, 5, 7, 9 (olive and coconut oils are damn hard to fry with without smoking up the kitchen), and 12.

really i thought coconut had a high smoke point. I've never fried with it yet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    this is all sound. see Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.
    lots more in there to read and you can add to this list but this list is sound. science agrees with it but modern 'pop' culture does not.

Very good counterpoints to Taubes, who is essentially wrong, IMO:

http://weightology.net/?p=251
    http://weightology.net/?p=265
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-get-fat/

^^
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This is a wolf in sheep's clothing article. It hides really bad information within some good information.
    2/10
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    This is a wolf in sheep's clothing article. It hides really bad information within some good information.
    2/10

item 12. made me LOL. then i ROTFL. finally, i ROTFLMAO...

...and now i need to schedule butt replacement surgery. :grumble:

thanks.+obama_8aed1d_4577383.gif
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    2/10

item 12. made me LOL. then i ROTFL. finally, i ROTFLMAO...

...and now i need to schedule butt replacement surgery. :grumble:

thanks.+obama_8aed1d_4577383.gif

Now I want some tacos.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    2/10
    Yep, 2/10 at best, would not bang. :laugh:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    2/10

good descriptor
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gluten if you're not sensitive or don't have an allergy.

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    In to find later.

I don't agree with 2, 5, 7, 9 (olive and coconut oils are damn hard to fry with without smoking up the kitchen), and 12.

really i thought coconut had a high smoke point. I've never fried with it yet.

I fry with coconut oil with no problems.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gluten if you're not sensitive or don't have an allergy.

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))

Do you have a link to the studies?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It is often said that the only thing that matters for weight loss is “calories in, calories out.”

The truth is that calories matter… but the types of foods we eat are just as important.
    I kind of agree with this, but not for the reason the author states.

My body has a tendency to say "put food in me" when what it means is "put {specific micronutrient} in me".

Lately, the only macronutrient I track is protein but I track vitamins A&C, calcium and fiber instead. I find it much easier to stick to my calorie goal when I make sure I get enough of everything else (as long as I don't buy doritos, those things are evil).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Some nonsense, but not bad.

Yep. Better than the usual lists tbh. Some are exaggerated or taken out of context.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    1. It's correct stating eggs aren't bad.

2. A calorie is a calorie. Whether you eat 100 calories of protein or 100 calories of carbs, the ENERGY value is the same.What they should say instead is value of macronutrients in calories differ.

3.While saturated fats are essential for optimal health, a balancing of polyunsaturated fats with it provides more benefit than just saturated fat alone.
    There's a fine line in saying this because lots of "unhealthy" foods contain saturated fats, so if the interpretation is to believe that saturated fats are fine to eat in excess, there may be a lot of weight gain.

4. Agree.

5. It's not for everyone, but like anything else, moderation of it is fine.

6. Coffee is fine. But when getting the "Designer" coffees there are usually filled with a ton of calories. And if one is an avid coffee drinker with all the excess calories, they'll get overweight just like anyone else who over consumes food.

7. Meat is just fine.

8. The healthiest diet is one that meets someone's daily macro/micro nutrients and fuels what ever output they do. An Olympic swimmer uses much more carb energy than someone that does yoga.

9. Correct about oils containing too much in Omega 6 and not enough in Omega 3's.

10. Low carb definitely works, but for about 90% of the people who diet on it, it's not sustainable.

11. Yep sodium is usually not a issue unless one has high BP issues.

12. Sugar is FINE in moderation. Demonizing it happens because too many people attribute it to the obesity epidemic. Truth is over consumption is the problem with obesity.

13. Fat can make you fat if you over consume it. Again, let's not look past actual calories in and out.

All in all there is some good take away from the article, but picking out information to support ones stance isn't any different than what the fitness industry states are the correct methods and diets. Peer reviewed studies should be looked and compared and the individual works out what they think will be best for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with niner.