13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Great article but not worth wasting your time posting it here. Even faced with a mountain of evidence the majority MFPers are unable to make the connection that food MUST affect health, and that weight loss IS about health. A healthy body loses fat effortlessly. Calories in/calories out is an extreme over-simplification of a complex system that is our body. And IIFYM is bs. If I followed the macro settings as set by MFP, I would be a full blown diabetic right now, and still obese. But any personal experience that anyone shares in the general forums that challenges the "group think" is ridiculed relentlessly. Because there's no possible way that the government and the food/pharma industry would ever lie to us about what is "healthy". Yup, current dietary recommendations have nothing to do with maximizing corporate profits. (sarcasm)

Solid understanding of IIFYM (which you follow by the way) and nice tinfoil hat
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    For a second there I thought the title of this thread pointed to a Cracked article....except if it was, it would be " 13 Mind-blowing Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat"

13 Mind-Blowing Nutrition Lies That Made the World Sick and Fat That You Wouldn't Believe.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This is an old article about a study that was done...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/379089

Mind you I am not touting this as gospel. I have read other articles like this and it does weigh on my mind me being from the south. People eat bread religiously down here. We even have annual festivals centered around battering/breading anything and everything then deep frying it.

Deep fried Snickers anyone?

So yes. I'm a little biased against it lol. Being fat is normal down here.

this is why one should always go to the source of articles.

Because if you read the Huff post you'l see this:
    A review paper in The New England Journal of Medicine listed 55 "diseases" that can be caused by eating gluten. ...It has also been linked to autism.(ix)

Oh. really? When you go to the article linked by the so-called practicing physician what do you actually read?
    ... there is a lack of evidence to support the use of gluten and/or casein free diet as an effective intervention for persons with autism and also a lack of research on potential harms and disbenefits of such diets

So no. Damn bad journalism.
    But great support for those suffering from confirmation bias.

I read it, it must be true!

What?! You mean HuffPo isn't an unbiased source of information?!

-_-
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    1. It's correct stating eggs aren't bad.

2. A calorie is a calorie. Whether you eat 100 calories of protein or 100 calories of carbs, the ENERGY value is the same.What they should say instead is value of macronutrients in calories differ.

3.While saturated fats are essential for optimal health, a balancing of polyunsaturated fats with it provides more benefit than just saturated fat alone.
    There's a fine line in saying this because lots of "unhealthy" foods contain saturated fats, so if the interpretation is to believe that saturated fats are fine to eat in excess, there may be a lot of weight gain.

4. Agree.

5. It's not for everyone, but like anything else, moderation of it is fine.

6. Coffee is fine. But when getting the "Designer" coffees there are usually filled with a ton of calories. And if one is an avid coffee drinker with all the excess calories, they'll get overweight just like anyone else who over consumes food.

7. Meat is just fine.

8. The healthiest diet is one that meets someone's daily macro/micro nutrients and fuels what ever output they do. An Olympic swimmer uses much more carb energy than someone that does yoga.

9. Correct about oils containing too much in Omega 6 and not enough in Omega 3's.

10. Low carb definitely works, but for about 90% of the people who diet on it, it's not sustainable.

11. Yep sodium is usually not a issue unless one has high BP issues.

12. Sugar is FINE in moderation. Demonizing it happens because too many people attribute it to the obesity epidemic. Truth is over consumption is the problem with obesity.

13. Fat can make you fat if you over consume it. Again, let's not look past actual calories in and out.

All in all there is some good take away from the article, but picking out information to support ones stance isn't any different than what the fitness industry states are the correct methods and diets. Peer reviewed studies should be looked and compared and the individual works out what they think will be best for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

repped
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    #2: Oh Lawd. When is a meter not a meter? When we're arguing over which is longer: a meter of Slim Jim or a meter of carrot. A calorie is a unit of measure, and as such cannot be "good" or "bad."
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

2. A calorie is a calorie. Whether you eat 100 calories of protein or 100 calories of carbs, the ENERGY value is the same.What they should say instead is value of macronutrients in calories differ.

3.While saturated fats are essential for optimal health, a balancing of polyunsaturated fats with it provides more benefit than just saturated fat alone.
    There's a fine line in saying this because lots of "unhealthy" foods contain saturated fats, so if the interpretation is to believe that saturated fats are fine to eat in excess, there may be a lot of weight gain.

4. Agree.

6. Coffee is fine. But when getting the "Designer" coffees there are usually filled with a ton of calories. And if one is an avid coffee drinker with all the excess calories, they'll get overweight just like anyone else who over consumes food.

7. Meat is just fine.

8. The healthiest diet is one that meets someone's daily macro/micro nutrients and fuels what ever output they do. An Olympic swimmer uses much more carb energy than someone that does yoga.

9. Correct about oils containing too much in Omega 6 and not enough in Omega 3's.

10. Low carb definitely works, but for about 90% of the people who diet on it, it's not sustainable.

12. Sugar is FINE in moderation. Demonizing it happens because too many people attribute it to the obesity epidemic. Truth is over consumption is the problem with obesity.

13. Fat can make you fat if you over consume it. Again, let's not look past actual calories in and out.

All in all there is some good take away from the article, but picking out information to support ones stance isn't any different than what the fitness industry states are the correct methods and diets. Peer reviewed studies should be looked and compared and the individual works out what they think will be best for them.

2. - the type of calories matter. Most people are unaware that a calorie is made up of different macro nutrients then other calories. Those numbers are just numbers on a label and a lot of people don't really know what they mean. So to go into that for the the general public is to loose them.

12- added sugar is evil. I have the sugar withdrawal headache right now. I think the problem with sugar is it's affects everyone differently. I did gain a lot of weight after eating too much added sugar over the weekend. Half of it is gone already, because it's fake weight gain, but it's gain nonetheless. The natural sugar does not do this to me.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    #2 made me lol because thats mfp's mantra

me too
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

2. - the type of calories matter. Most people are unaware that a calorie is made up of different macro nutrients then other calories. Those numbers are just numbers on a label and a lot of people don't really know what they mean. So to go into that for the the general public is to loose them.

12- added sugar is evil. I have the sugar withdrawal headache right now. I think the problem with sugar is it's affects everyone differently. I did gain a lot of weight after eating too much added sugar over the weekend. Half of it is gone already, because it's fake weight gain, but it's gain nonetheless. The natural sugar does not do this to me.
    I will take the fake weight gain, keep the actual weight loss, and not stress over natural vs unnatural, and continue to enjoy Poptart ice cream sandwiches. :drinker:
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed the article.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

4. Agree.

7. Meat is just fine.

There are no types of calories. its just a calorie.

Its currency. It is a form of measurement. thats like saying all lbs are different.

Added sugar is evil? you do realize that added sugar originated from nature.

Please explain to me the chemical difference of sugar that is added and that is found in fruits.
    Lol @ sugar causing weight gain.
    and saying your body has a sugar dependence.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Great article but not worth wasting your time posting it here. Even faced with a mountain of evidence the majority MFPers are unable to make the connection that food MUST affect health, and that weight loss IS about health. A healthy body loses fat effortlessly. Calories in/calories out is an extreme over-simplification of a complex system that is our body. And IIFYM is bs. If I followed the macro settings as set by MFP, I would be a full blown diabetic right now, and still obese. But any personal experience that anyone shares in the general forums that challenges the "group think" is ridiculed relentlessly. Because there's no possible way that the government and the food/pharma industry would ever lie to us about what is "healthy". Yup, current dietary recommendations have nothing to do with maximizing corporate profits. (sarcasm)

While I agree with much of your post, I do feel differently about IIFYM and wonder if your thinking is BS is due to misconception- you *can* change your macros to minimize sugar/carbs, etc... or maximize protein. The whole premise of IIFYM is to eat how and what works best for you, rather than thinking you *must* cut out a certain food or category of foods in order to lose weight and be healthy. For me, IIFYM means having a few cookies at the end of the day, or having some chocolate if the rest of the day has gone well. Personally, I've tried low-carb; I've tried low-fat. I've tried atkins. I've tried low-glycemic, I've tried going gluten-free (for no reason other than weightloss, I'm tolerant) and quite frankly, it's all escaped me, because I was depriving myself of the wellroundedness that is IIFYM. Moderation is key :)

ETA: My caveat is, if a particular food or group causes you health problems/difficulties (ie, gluten intolerance, et al) then by all means, avoid it.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Half of it agrees with taubes. Smh at the members here.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "The laws of physics are unavoidable." Simple physics requires that to lose weight, we must burn more calories than we ingest: that is indisputable. The problem lies with attempting to figure out how much energy we burn each day with or without additional physical exercise. The reality is we are all different. And for some, our genetic make up is such that we either tend to use the energy we consume effectively or we dont.

Limit empty calories from simple carbohydrates like sugar, eat a variety of vegetables and fruits, choose low calorie density foods that are more filling, limit meat intake, limit salt, and to keep looking for behavioral and environmental ways to change our calories-in/calories-out balance. Figure out how many calories work for you. Eat healthy. It's simple but it is not easy.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-get-fat/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

4. Agree.

7. Meat is just fine.

Its currency. It is a form of measurement. thats like saying all lbs are different.

Please explain to me the chemical difference of sugar that is added and that is found in fruits.

ok.. i'm not an expert.. nor am i a scientist, nutritionist or anything else. i base my opinion based off what it does *to me* and what I've read and been taught in the nutrition classes I took.

I eat *added* sugar.. i gain weight. *every time* even if i am under my calories.
    then I stop eating it.. and I get a headache.. *every time* anything beyond a very small amount does this to me. 1 cookie i can usually tolerate.. beyond that and it's playing with fire.
    This does not happen when i eat fruit or yogurt or other foods that have no added sugars.
    I'm not here to debate this.. lord knows there is no agreed upon answer.. It affects me negatively and harshly. Glad it does not affect you the same way. i'm really good at avoiding it.. and every so often i over do it and I suffer like today. Even my eyes hurt, If I didn't have to work i'd be curled up at home under the blankets with all the lights off.

Yes a calorie is a unit of measure.. comprised of different nutrients. those nutrients is what i'd assume the article is referring too. 1600 calories of brownies will not give you same results as 1600 calories of healthy foods. Unless the general public knows the difference. It's better to teach them to make healthy choices then just calories in calories out. Because until I researched it I didn't know what the numbers on the labels really meant.

And lbs are different. pounds comprised of fat are worse for you from a health stand point then lbs comprised of muscle.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options

4. Agree.

7. Meat is just fine.

ok.. i'm not an expert.. nor am i a scientist, nutritionist or anything else. i base my opinion based off what it does *to me* and what I've read and been taught in the nutrition classes I took.

I eat *added* sugar.. i gain weight. *every time* even if i am under my calories.
    then I stop eating it.. and I get a headache.. *every time* anything beyond a very small amount does this to me. 1 cookie i can usually tolerate.. beyond that and it's playing with fire.

This does not happen when i eat fruit or yogurt or other foods that have no added sugars.
    I'm not here to debate this.. lord knows there is no agreed upon answer.. It affects me negatively and harshly. Glad it does not affect you the same way. i'm really good at avoiding it.. and every so often i over do it and I suffer like today. Even my eyes hurt, If I didn't have to work i'd be curled up at home under the blankets with all the lights off.

Yes a calorie is a unit of measure.. comprised of different nutrients. those nutrients is what i'd assume the article is referring too. 1600 calories of brownies will not give you same results as 1600 calories of healthy foods. Unless the general public knows the difference. It's better to teach them to make healthy choices then just calories in calories out. Because until I researched it I didn't know what the numbers on the labels really meant.

And lbs are different. pounds comprised of fat are worse for you from a health stand point then lbs comprised of muscle.

I don't think you know how to count calories then, check your measurements

edit: poster below me knows whats up
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    please read through this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1075294-you-guys-really-like-to-over-complicate-things

Edit: you could lose weight on 1600 cals of brownies, but your body composition would be terrible

/thread
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

4. Agree.

7. Meat is just fine.

no a lb is a lb.

a lb of fat is different than a lb of muscle.

but a pound a pound. just like calories are calories.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

You really don't have an understanding of IIFYM/ " if it fits YOUR macros" You can set your own macros and eat the foods YOU choose to eat. You can be vegetarian/vegan/paleo...ect and use IIFYM. Someone who paleo will have different food choices compared to someone who is vegan. Depending on their goals, they could also have different macro goals.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Pure true sugar is two glucose molecules linked together. Thats GLUCOSE - not fructose. The fake sugars are made with one glucose and one fructose linked together, or two fructose molecules. Fructose is very bad for you. Glucose is not. Your cells need glucose to make ATP (energy). Pure sugar in your foods is not a bad thing - its far healthier for you than high fructose corn syrup or fake sugars made from fructose.

With that being said it is still bad to eat too much sugar, but I wanted to make the correction. The kind of sugar you find in fruit and pure sugar cane sugar is the SAME THING. They are both just as good for you and bad for you. The only differene is the other benefits you get from the food you eat with those sugars, like a candy bar vs. an apple. But molecularly those are the same sugars.

The post was about fructose - totally different from real sugar.