13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gluten if you're not sensitive or don't have an allergy.

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))

Do you have these studies?

It's not good to eat a lot of most foods (context relevant).
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))

Do you have a link to the studies?

Don't you have Google?
    I'm not posting to debate and not taking de bait :wink:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

This. I love me some carrots and sweet potatoes but too many and I turn orange. Moderation applies even to the 'healthy' foods.
  • MstngSammy
    Options

"It's not good to eat a lot of most foods (context relevant)."

True true...
  • brower47
    Options

Don't you have Google?

Why make statements about 'facts' you've read and then refuse to provide the facts? Your assertion by itself means nothing but a study can impact people's perspectives, knowledge and opinions.

How can you educate anyone without tools (the studies being the tools in this case).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Don't you have Google?

No bait, just wondering since you brought it up. Curious why you brought it up if you weren't willing to provide the studies.
  • MstngSammy
    Options

Don't you have Google?

Why make statements about 'facts' you've read and then refuse to provide the facts? Your assertion by itself means nothing but a study can impact people's perspectives, knowledge and opinions.

How can you educate anyone without tools (the studies being the tools in this case).

I didn't state it as "fact". I simply made a statement about some studies I had read.

I didn't realize in order to make comments I'd have to have textbook in hand. Especially since the OP started a thread asking for opinions....not in depth educational analysis.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Don't you have Google?

I didn't state it as "fact". I simply made a statement about some studies I had read.

I didn't realize in order to make comments I'd have to have textbook in hand. Especially since the OP started a thread asking for opinions....not in depth educational analysis.
    k
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

This. I love me some carrots and sweet potatoes but too many and I turn orange. Moderation applies even to the 'healthy' foods.

what do you have against beta carotene? :huh:

Oompa-Loompas-010.jpg
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good article, too bad this is going to turn into a war zone. It happens every time someone points out the befits of a low carb lifestyle

In to watch...
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    12. Sugar is Bad Because it Contains “Empty” Calories

Many think that sugar is unhealthy just because it contains “empty” calories.

This is true… sugar contains a lot of calories, with no essential nutrients.

But this is really just the tip of the iceberg.

Sugar, mainly due to its high content of fructose, can have severe adverse effects on metabolism and set us up for rapid weight gain and metabolic disease (102).

When we eat large amounts of fructose, it gets turned into fat in the liver and is either shipped out as VLDL particles, or lodges in the liver to cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease .

Studies in humans show that excess fructose can lead to insulin resistance, elevated blood sugars, elevated triglycerides, increased small, dense LDL and increased abdominal obesity in as little as 10 weeks.

Fructose also doesn’t lower the hunger hormone ghrelin and doesn’t affect satiety in the brain in the same way as glucose. This way, sugar causes a biochemical drive in the brain to eat more and get fat .

This applies to fructose from added sugars, NOT the natural sugars found in fruits.

When consumed in excess, added sugar is associated with multiple diseases, including obesity, heart disease, type II diabetes and even cancer.

Sugar is probably the single worst ingredient in the modern diet.

Bottom Line: The harmful effects of excess sugar go way beyond empty calories. Sugar can have severe adverse effects on metabolism, leading to weight gain and many serious diseases.

The study he refers to I believe was done on obese sedentary people who were forced to eat 25% of their daily calories from fructose/glucose..... About 150g... or 3L of coke. O_o And you expect nothing to happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I
  • brower47
    Options

Don't you have Google?

I just love being informed and I get a sad every time someone tempts me with new information but doesn't deliver. I could google it but then I would never know if it was the study or studies that influenced you.
  • brower47
    Options

what do you have against beta carotene? :huh:

Oompa-Loompas-010.jpg

Hey, I didn't give you permission to post pictures of my family. :grumble:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of it.

I drink a ton of black coffee and enjoy it that way. I eat whole eggs. I cook with coconut oil and eat butter. I don't worry about salt. I keep carbs relatively low. I try not to eat both high carbs and fats together. I keep sugar low.

I have hypercholesteremia, but have managed to cut triglycerides from 120 to 60. Ldl went up, but so did hdl as stated and ratios are all "ideal". I've had high cholesterol since I was a kid, so this is my condition; not a result of diet. If anything, my diet has improved my situation. Not a bad list, imo.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Don't you have Google?

lol..thought as much

That's not the way it works. You make an assertion, you support it.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Mostly a good article as it pertains to sedentary obese individuals trying to diet. Although; a fe things that caught my eye:
    1) Low fat high carb mod protein is used with most top level athletes for a reason; it's effective for most people that are already fit, trying to get fitter. The effectiveness will depend on insulin sensitivity.
    2) I don't think the claims on Gluten have been well substantiated as of yet; gluten sensitivity notwithstanding however I think most "sensitivities" are more placebo in nature (like diet soda), or could be confounded.
    3) Again, for active individuals, there is no good research to conclude that fructose in moderation is a bad thing. Don't beleive me? Look up durianrider; his fructose consumption probably nears 100g a day and I can give you plenty of healthy athletes that have tremendous fructose consumption. This pertains to sugar in general as well. It is probably not a huge concern for the active populous. Oh yeah, last time I checked fructose from fruit is chemically and biological the same as other fructose molecules. I'm not even gonna get into the insulin bollocks or the pit falls of association research.
    4) The assumption that the saturated fat claim has been disproved by one meta analysis; well half way on that. Saturated fat although is beneficial in moderation, and that is not public enemy #1; it still does increase inflammation, and could increase LDL in hyper responders. I'll stick with 8-15% until another meta analysis and more research comes out. Still controversy.
    5) Referring to number one, it has been pretty well shown that a higher carbohydrate consumption benefits the performance athlete as well as the bodybuilder, due to some basic nutritional sciences. Alex Viada and Lyle McDonald has some great articles on this. I suggest everyone read their material. Unfortunately for the sedentary and overfat populations, carbohydrate metabolism is somewhat poor or very poor; it's also poor if you are in ketosis; meaning insulin sensitivity is bollocks; which leads these populations to feel better and get better health benefits off the low carb diets. Now their are exceptions; but this is the general trend.

Now, I am middle of the road guy; no black and white. However, I am a BIG advocate for actual exercise on the daily or at least 5 days out of the week. Whole shebang too for guys and gals whatever the goal is; strength training, cardio, coordination, mobility, flexibility all must be incorporated into training.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    _
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    really... autism and gluten....

this thread is crap
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I like it. I've heard most of these before. All I can say is that I sure hope they're right about the sodium, 'cuz I go over every single day! Lolol. Hard not to, unless you eat really clean. I don't know about the wheat thing, but I "try" not to eat a lot of bread anyways. :) Thanks for sharing. :D
  • MstngSammy
    Options

Don't you have Google?

lol..thought as much

That's not the way it works. You make an assertion, you support it.

Pick me apart all you want if it amuses you. I already agreed with your first comment about what I said. I've already said I wasn't stating it as scientific fact. So what more do you want?

I see many others stating opinion as fact.