A call to more heavily regulate the supplement industry

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Obviously it's safe or people would be dropping like flies.

And nothing solves "everything." But the market is better for consumers than bureaucrats. And "banning" solves nothing. Consumers and producers will find ways to meet each other's needs, even when expressly forbidden.

People are dropping like flies. How many people die from supplements? How many people have gotten cancer because of supplements? How many people have developed other disorders? Chronic disorders?

No one knows. There's no way to know. No one is doing any testing of these supplements. People buy them, trusting the label. But they don't know. No one does. No one has the mandate or authority to test the supplements. No one has the authority to go in and inspect the facilities where they're made. No one has the authority to set standards on labeling.

The market isn't doing these things. Half the pills on the shelf at Walmart could be adulterated or made of nothing but sugar. Who knows? No one does. Who has the authority to test them and fine the companies? No one does.

The market is not taking care of these problems. As much as you credit the invisible hand/brand reputation/etc for being the ultimate force for good, it's not taking care of these things.

The supplement industry has had many years to take care of these issues, and the only thing it's gotten is worse. It's time for the government to regulate this industry.

If the prescription drug industry were like the supplement industry.... holy crap.

o-rly-owl.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

And nothing solves "everything." But the market is better for consumers than bureaucrats. And "banning" solves nothing. Consumers and producers will find ways to meet each other's needs, even when expressly forbidden.

People are dropping like flies. How many people die from supplements? How many people have gotten cancer because of supplements? How many people have developed other disorders? Chronic disorders?

No one knows. There's no way to know. No one is doing any testing of these supplements. People buy them, trusting the label. But they don't know. No one does. No one has the mandate or authority to test the supplements. No one has the authority to go in and inspect the facilities where they're made. No one has the authority to set standards on labeling.

The market isn't doing these things. Half the pills on the shelf at Walmart could be adulterated or made of nothing but sugar. Who knows? No one does. Who has the authority to test them and fine the companies? No one does.

The market is not taking care of these problems. As much as you credit the invisible hand/brand reputation/etc for being the ultimate force for good, it's not taking care of these things.

The supplement industry has had many years to take care of these issues, and the only thing it's gotten is worse. It's time for the government to regulate this industry.

If the prescription drug industry were like the supplement industry.... holy crap.

o-rly-owl.jpg

About what I'd expect as a response from a pot smoker.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

o-rly-owl.jpg

Yes, because people who smoke pot love to laugh at funny things, and sometimes post funny pictures on the internet. Generalizations and personal attacks are for those who don't smoke.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

o-rly-owl.jpg

Yes, because people who smoke pot love to laugh at funny things, and sometimes post funny pictures on the internet. Generalizations and personal attacks are for those who don't smoke.

Don't take the bait, WendyTerry...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So+just+because+I+don+t+smoke+weed+I+m+suddenly+a+_20864eb1cbfe53c10fb50c1b273390bd.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options

I'd love a reasonable response instead of an owl.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

But pot smokers are retards... Shouldn't all stereotypes continue to be constantly reiterated?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

No you wouldn't. Don't pretend to be indignant.
  • jonnythan
    Options

But pot smokers are retards... Shouldn't all stereotypes continue to be constantly reiterated?

Not all of them. But the ones who live in places where pot is illegal, then sign up for websites with "420" in their user names and constantly talk about pot, while attaching pictures of themselves and their loved ones to said posts....

Well. You have to wonder a little bit. You actually don't have to wonder much.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You honestly think I'd have spent 10 minutes typing out that long post if I didn't want a reasonable reply? Come on.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

You honestly think I'd have spent 10 minutes typing out that long post if I didn't want a reasonable reply? Come on.

Boy, that escalated quickly...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Not all of them. But the ones who live in places where pot is illegal, then sign up for websites with "420" in their user names and constantly talk about pot, while attaching pictures of themselves and their loved ones to said posts....

I am WendyTerry420 on nearly every website, unless the username is already taken. If you don't like that, tough noogies. Go eat a NachoBell Grande and get over it.

tumblr_mnnm3evI6E1sqznooo1_500.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well this train hit Stupidville pretty damn quickly.

I will join!

You smell.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I am WendyTerry420 on nearly every website, unless the username is already taken. If you don't like that, tough noogies. Go eat a NachoBell Grande and get over it.

Well, you can see what I eat. I actually use MFP for its primary purpose of logging food.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have no chronic illness.

Cute. ;)

Why is that "cute?"

It's cute because I obviously meant "your use" in contrast to "his use" from your post and you're doing everything you can to keep from either admitting you smoke or lying about it.

You're so obviously a pot smoker, despite not having any chronic illness.

So you are just trying to poke fun at me?

No, I was pointing out to the others in this thread where your irrational, paranoid fear of the government comes from.

Um...actually isn't paranoia a well known side effect of 'ahem' medical marijuana use?
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Well, you can see what I eat. I actually use MFP for its primary purpose of logging food.

...and for hating on pot smokers, it would seem. >:( In any case, I would try to avoid personal stuff if you really want a serious response...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Boy, that escalated quickly...

negative+enery.gifp
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have no chronic illness.

Cute. ;)

Why is that "cute?"

It's cute because I obviously meant "your use" in contrast to "his use" from your post and you're doing everything you can to keep from either admitting you smoke or lying about it.

You're so obviously a pot smoker, despite not having any chronic illness.

So you are just trying to poke fun at me?

No, I was pointing out to the others in this thread where your irrational, paranoid fear of the government comes from.

Um...actually isn't paranoia a well known side effect of 'ahem' medical marijuana use?

Look up "derealization" too.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Well this train hit Stupidville pretty damn quickly.

I will join!

You smell.

Your momma wears combat boots!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

We can speculate all day long about whether or not supplements are causing these problems. We could also speculate about genetically modified foods, foods with questionable additives or from questionable sources, and genetics. Our society is constantly changing its mind as new data comes out regarding any number of foods. Eggs, sugar, milk, and gluten have all been demonized in the past based on faulty science or poorly interpreted findings. There are plenty of people who are of the opinion that the proliferation of McDonald's and other such convenience foods have increased just as heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. have. Correlation =/= causation.

Perhaps the reason that people are dropping like flies is simply that we're mortal. We're born, we live, and then we die--every single one of us. While it is possible that supplements have caused some chronic diseases or strange deaths, it's also possible that those things happened due to any number of other different reasons, including external influences like the environment around us.
This discussion has been closed.