New Clothes, New You? Or Not

Options
124»

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago. I had been out of the country with limited options to buy new clothes. So I had delusions of becoming super fashionable as I recreated my wardrobe upon returning home. When it came down to it, as I told a friend, "I just am Sporty Spice." I love hooded sweatshirts, jeans, comfy shoes, etc. So I really didn't end up changing my style much. I suppose my hooded sweatshirts became the more fitted styles though.

Now, on another/current round of losing, I am noticing a lot of clothes I would buy if I worked in an office. I work from home with only occasional events, so I only need a few outfits--this probably contributes to my comfy style since I can wear grubs all day. So maybe if I did need a full work wardrobe, my style would change some...maybe.
  • madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My clothes have become more fitted and slightly shorter, but were talking sitting on the knee and before they were calf length. It was only when I started wearing more fitted stuff that people noticed the weight loss x
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago. I had been out of the country with limited options to buy new clothes. So I had delusions of becoming super fashionable as I recreated my wardrobe upon returning home. When it came down to it, as I told a friend, "I just am Sporty Spice." I love hooded sweatshirts, jeans, comfy shoes, etc. So I really didn't end up changing my style much. I suppose my hooded sweatshirts became the more fitted styles though.

Now, on another/current round of losing, I am noticing a lot of clothes I would buy if I worked in an office. I work from home with only occasional events, so I only need a few outfits--this probably contributes to my comfy style since I can wear grubs all day. So maybe if I did need a full work wardrobe, my style would change some...maybe.

LOL! I seriously love that about Sporty Spice, hilarious!! :-D

I understand the office thing, definitely. A lot of nice clothes out there that aren't too practical for someone who works from home. My husband currently does writing for websites and such, and he's got a closet full of dress shirts that are only worn to dinner once a week (with me)!

A couple of years ago I lost all of my clothing in a tornado. I was insured, and able to recreate my wardrobe from scratch. I had all these visions of becoming more fashionable and much more minimalist. That did not happen at all! I basically repurchased the exact same clothes in a slightly smaller size (I'd lost about 35 lb at that time from my all-time highest weight). Same exact stuff and only now...2 yrs later with another 60 lb off...am I really doing the slightly more minimalist thing.

For me it's a BIG DEAL that I have 4 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of dressy pants. In the past I would have had 30 pair at least of both types of pants.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My clothes have become more fitted and slightly shorter, but were talking sitting on the knee and before they were calf length. It was only when I started wearing more fitted stuff that people noticed the weight loss x

I am exactly that way with lengths! ALL of my dresses now, and all but 2 skirts (which are ankle length) hit right at the knee or slightly above. I used to wear calf length and now I think I look like a total curmudgeon freak in calf length skirts!

I also have a terrible spider bite scar on my calf, but having way better legs has made me show them off even with the scar and I don't even care anymore. This makes my husband extremely happy. Not just because he likes lookin' at legs but also that I am not so self-conscious about the scar now.

As for people noticing more when you wear fitted stuff...I definitely agree with that too. When I wear my exercise pants (compression style but not tight, just fitted) anywhere, people I have not seen in awhile make comments on how drastically different I look.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options

LOL! I seriously love that about Sporty Spice, hilarious!! :-D

I understand the office thing, definitely. A lot of nice clothes out there that aren't too practical for someone who works from home. My husband currently does writing for websites and such, and he's got a closet full of dress shirts that are only worn to dinner once a week (with me)!

A couple of years ago I lost all of my clothing in a tornado. I was insured, and able to recreate my wardrobe from scratch. I had all these visions of becoming more fashionable and much more minimalist. That did not happen at all! I basically repurchased the exact same clothes in a slightly smaller size (I'd lost about 35 lb at that time from my all-time highest weight). Same exact stuff and only now...2 yrs later with another 60 lb off...am I really doing the slightly more minimalist thing.

For me it's a BIG DEAL that I have 4 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of dressy pants. In the past I would have had 30 pair at least of both types of pants.

My friend responded, "well, if you're sporty spice, then I'm old spice." She was only in her mid-twenties at the time, but did dress quite old for her age! Funny that you also kept a similar style. I think it really does come down to working from home and my husband and I not really doing anything that requires dressing up. I do have few nice outfits that are fun, more fitted, and stylish--but I never wear them.

I totally get the minimalist thing. For awhile, my rule was if I bought something, it could only be to replace something I would then get rid of. I haven't been so strict about that lately, so I've been trying to clear things out a bit. (If I did need a work wardrobe, I would need more closet space!)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed this past summer, as I was transitioning sizes all of the time, was that I suddenly became less of an accessorizer. When I was heavier than I am now, I really put a lot of effort into putting together outfits with accessories and such. But I got sort of lazy in the summer and as a result I started to feel totally out of it. Like my usual put-together style was failing badly with the loss of my former clothes and most of my accessories not really working well w/ the new clothes. So I've had to put a little bit of effort into getting that back. I have taken this opportunity to change up my accessories a little, and it's been fun. Before I was more likely to choose large chunky pieces, and some gold, and I wore a LOT (like almost daily) of embellished headbands. I wear the headbands only rarely now and go with more simple, modern, silver, etc.

I changed accessories a lot. Bracelets and rings from 100#s ago were all too big, luckily most of my stuff was inexpensive. I think I started accessorizing more once I lost the weight, not as afraid to bring attention to myself. I have always been well endowed and did not lose any of that with the weight loss (one cup size, was hoping for more). I don't try to hide that as much anymore either.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

That's funny, I recently told one of my friends that when I go shopping I end up buying workout clothes when I am looking for work clothes. I need to find a job where I can wear workout clothes everyday.