How long can you PLANK for?

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I can hold a plank for 1 minute. I'm pretty proud of that considering when I first planked I was nearly in tears by 12 seconds. Now my kids and I plank together to see who can last longest (I always lose). Then my husband gets in on the action and he can hold a plank forever.

I just had surgery last week so no planking for me for a long time but I can't wait to get back into it. It's the single thing that has helped my lower back pain.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    While one might build initial strength when starting planking, being able to hold a plank for a long time works more on MUSCLE ENDURANCE and not strength. One could plank for 5 minutes, but suck badly at doing hanging leg lifts or any other exercise that involves using core for resistance training (such as squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc.)
    Not downplaying that planks aren't useful, just saying that if the goal is increasing core STRENGTH, then do strength training exercise rather than endurance training exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Pretty much this. Once you get to a point where you can hold a plank for about a minute, you're not really accomplishing anything at all by continuing to do it for longer duration other than training endurance--and being very inefficient about how you go about it in the process. If you want to continue to strengthen it beyond that point, you have to do exercises that are so difficult you hit muscle fatigue in only a few reps. And as you continue to grow stronger, you have to keep on focusing on exercises that are so difficult you can never exceed that rep range.

then you toss on a 25# plate.
    Once you get back to where you were....go 35# :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    While one might build initial strength when starting planking, being able to hold a plank for a long time works more on MUSCLE ENDURANCE and not strength. One could plank for 5 minutes, but suck badly at doing hanging leg lifts or any other exercise that involves using core for resistance training (such as squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc.)
    Not downplaying that planks aren't useful, just saying that if the goal is increasing core STRENGTH, then do strength training exercise rather than endurance training exercises.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm a newbie at all of this but I would agree. I didn't really start increasing my plank time until after I started strength training.
  • sbecknc
    sbecknc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A year and a half ago, I tried a workout that started you at 20 seconds, and worked you up to 1:30 by the end of the month. I never got past 40 consistently, and the one or two times I made 45 I was crying.

Fast forward 18 months....

I'm at 50 seconds - rest a minute - 50 seconds
    Once I hit a minute, I'll add a third rep in the set, and start adding side and other kinds

Always amazes me that things can just click sometimes
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    When I got certified in CXWORX we had to do a 6 minute hover while coaching. That was fun. :-) I did the 6 minutes...never tried longer because I don't wanna. Haha
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    6 Minutes. That was during a 30 day plank challenge a few months ago. I had already been doing 90 seconds, so I just added another 30 seconds every couple days. I hit 6 minutes about 2 1/2 weeks in, but hurt my back doing it. So I took a few days off then started over from the 3 minute mark and made it back up to 6 minutes by the last day of the challenge. I'm pretty sure I could have made it to 7 minutes or longer, but my back kept telling me not to be stupid.

Now I just do 2 minute planks. I'm just not that interested in investing the extra time and effort when I could be doing other things. But after reading through this thread, I think I'm going to start using my weighted vest on planks from now on.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I can hold a plank for about two to two and a half minutes.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    5 minutes front (then 20 push ups), 1.5 minutes per side, every other day.

Boring and painful!
  • alecdlewis1
    alecdlewis1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    2.5 min straight arm plank, side plank is what I'm currently working on and that's currently sitting at 45 seconds with two sets. At the point where I was doing yoga and pilates daily my plank was around 5 min. you can do the plank challenge where you take a month and do 30 sec the first day then add 30 seconds each consecutive day after.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started gradually and added to the time after a few days so now I'm up to about 2 minutes at a time.. Side planks around the same time.. Need to get back to these now the holidays over
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    The longest I've ever managed to plank for is about 180 seconds. I was participating in a 30 Day Plank Challenge and that seemed to be the hard cap for me. I'm sure as I build strength, I'll be able to add to that time, though!
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    3 sets, 5 reps 30 seconds each, 10 seconds between, most every day
  • dettles
    dettles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    20 sec x 5....if that counts lol with a 5 sec break between!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Pretty much this. Once you get to a point where you can hold a plank for about a minute, you're not really accomplishing anything at all by continuing to do it for longer duration other than training endurance--and being very inefficient about how you go about it in the process. If you want to continue to strengthen it beyond that point, you have to do exercises that are so difficult you hit muscle fatigue in only a few reps. And as you continue to grow stronger, you have to keep on focusing on exercises that are so difficult you can never exceed that rep range.
    What other exercises do you recommend, then? I, too, need to focus on strength now rather than just increasing plank time.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What other exercises do you recommend, then? I, too, need to focus on strength now rather than just increasing plank time.

Hanging leg raise
    Mason Twist
    Dragon Flag (maybe beyond you)
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Clean
    Overhead press (this one is a biggie for the core!)
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    After the 30 day challenge i was able to play for 6.5 mins. Now I plank a couple of times a week for 4 minutes. What got me over the 3 minute hurdle was finding a way to distract myself so I watch videos on a table while planking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hanging leg raise
    Mason Twist
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Clean
    Agree. Wanna check your core strength? Do a barbell/body bar overhead SQUAT. If you can't, then your core isn't as strong as you think it is.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I prefer weighted planks. If I can hold it for 45 seconds, then I up the weight.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    how long do you need me to plank for?

i3B3HIa.gif

:laugh:
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hanging leg raise
    Mason Twist
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Clean
    Agree. Wanna check your core strength? Do a barbell/body bar overhead SQUAT. If you can't, then your core isn't as strong as you think it is.

IDEA Fitness member

Didn't realize the overhead presses I'm doing would make it on this list. I guess it's back to hanging leg raises.

What's your opinion on weighted sitting machine crunches?