I've NEVER seen Snow! Where should I vacation?

Options

Replies

• eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Well since I live near it, I would suggest Lake Tahoe. If you get tire of it, you can easily drive to the ocean. San Francisco is doable as well.
  • fbcarlson
    fbcarlson Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have lived in PA most of my life and while I love the Poconos if this is a once in a lifetime trip it would not be my first choice. I would go with Killington Vermont or just about any place in Colorado but especially Steamboat Springs.
  • amb0919
    amb0919 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Though I have been to Red Lodge, MT and it is beautiful with the mountains and such, I have to root for my home state MN :smile: There's plenty of ski areas here.. around Brainerd you have Ski Gull and Bemidji you have Buena Vista Ski Area, and even further north you have Lutsen (North Shore of Lake Superior), Giants Ridge (near Virginia, MN), & Spirit Mountain (Duluth)... And plenty of woods for cozy cabins here too :happy: Here's a link for some of the ski areas in MN all across the state: http://skicentral.com/minnesota.html and here's one that has a map of some of the popular ski areas: http://skicentral.com/powderridge-map.html
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Whistler BC!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Marble Mountain Newfoundland in Canada. Depending on budget though you may want to check out British Columbia, lots of great places there :)
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    Oh! California for sure!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Lake Placid, NY. Shouldn't be too expensive a flight from Miami, go to Albany and rent a car (about 2-3 hour drive). Renting a cabin near Placid can be expensive, but a 15-20 minute drive saves tons of cash. Look for places near Wilmington, Jay, Upper Jay, Keene, Keene Valley. Pleny of snow, plenty of snow activities (go down the Olympic bobsled run!), and Placid is great for shopping and nightlife.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I live near there (well 2 hours away) and it's snowing here right now! Ice fishing here is really popular and I'm sure that you can find a cabin to stay in at some resort or other. I see them on groupon a lot. Mille Lacs near Brainerd is really popular for fishing as is Red Lake up here.

Not a lot of skiing here though, very flat. Someone else mentioned Lake Tahoe and Timberline lodge and those are really nice areas, with skiing. And of course there's always Denver. And the Vancouver BC area is really beautiful.

Snow is overrated IMO now that I live in MN but I understand the allure since I used to live in coastal Oregon and it's pretty sparse on the snow, haha. If you would like to see snow several feet deep MN in Jan/Feb is where you need to be. But again- it's really freaking flat. And my area gets referred to as the north woods but I think it's a sad excuse for a forest compared to BC, Tahoe, etc.I think there's prettier places to go.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin
    Ground Hog Day blizzard 2011
    18+ inches

hv56qw.jpg
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend snow. OVERRATED.

But yeah, MI.

Hey! Snow is da BOMB!!!!

Try shoveling it at -50 you change the tune quickly lol
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you do go to Tahoe, hotels in Reno are REALLY CHEAP. We stayed in a Ramada for $45 and then went to Tahoe for the day. I know you were thinking of staying in a cabin, but if you are interested in saving some money that's a way to do it.
  • Shayley20
    Shayley20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    UTAH! Perfect powdery snow. Usually doesn't get super icy and miserable.
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Though I have been to Red Lodge, MT and it is beautiful with the mountains and such, I have to root for my home state MN :smile: There's plenty of ski areas here.. around Brainerd you have Ski Gull and Bemidji you have Buena Vista Ski Area, and even further north you have Lutsen (North Shore of Lake Superior), Giants Ridge (near Virginia, MN), & Spirit Mountain (Duluth)... And plenty of woods for cozy cabins here too :happy: Here's a link for some of the ski areas in MN all across the state: http://skicentral.com/minnesota.html and here's one that has a map of some of the popular ski areas: http://skicentral.com/powderridge-map.html

Thank you! I'll look them up
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm biased, but I don't think you can beat Colorado! My personal favorite places are Crested Butte and Aspen. Crested Butte is less expensive than Aspen. Neither are "easy" to get to though - part of the reason I like them. For Aspen, you would fly to Denver and then either rent a car or get a shuttle to Aspen or catch a commuter flight. The drive from Denver to Aspen is about 4 hours. For Crested Butte, you can fly into Gunnison (my college home town) and then drive the 30 minutes to Crested Butte. There are select direct flights into Gunnison during the winter, but I think they mainly come from the Southwest (Texas, Oklahoma), so I don't know that you'd be able to fly direct from Miami.

The skiing at both places is PHENOMENAL! The scenery at both is also out of this world. Aspen is the bigger town of the two and has four mountains for skiing. Crested Butte is less expensive, smaller and has only one ski mountain. Shopping is better in Aspen and, of course, you also have the elite celebrity people watching in Aspen.

I would take Aspen over Vail any day. I am a Colorado native and I absolutely abhor Vail. I think it's overpriced and over crowded. Yes, it's pretty, but so are so many other places in Colorado. Go somewhere less crowded! Aspen is actually less expensive than Vail for skiing and has far better skiing without the crowds and lines you'll see at Vail.

Crested Butte is just a laid-back, small town hidden in the mountains with great skiing, smaller crowds and beautiful surroundings.

Have fun on your snow vacation!
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    Wisconsin
    18+ inches

hv56qw.jpg

Jesus!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I live in central Maine. Can I come stay at your house and you come stay at mine... let's plan for a week in mid-January. :-)
    Try this: http://www.mooseheadcabins.com/maine_winter_vacation.html. Or, Google cabin rentals in Greenville, Maine and plan to come up here in mid to late January. You'll see some good snow and Greenville sits right on Moosehead Lake, which is beautiful.

This! Pretty much anywhere in Maine is great in the winter for finding a nice lodge to hang out in and stay cozy by the fire. Greenville is particularly lovely because it's right by our biggest lake (Moosehead) and the mountains so you get the whole experiences. There's even a ski lodge that just re-opened earlier this year. Not sure when they're re-opening but you can check up on it once you make your plans.

If you do decide to come up to maine, I'd suggest also planning on spending a day or two by our rocky coast. It's quite different from your warm beaches, especially in the winter!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin
    18+ inches

hv56qw.jpg

Jesus!

I know Buffalo, NY and Marquette, MI can top that pic easily.
    Lake effect snow :grumble:
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    I live in central Maine. Can I come stay at your house and you come stay at mine... let's plan for a week in mid-January. :-)
    Try this: http://www.mooseheadcabins.com/maine_winter_vacation.html. Or, Google cabin rentals in Greenville, Maine and plan to come up here in mid to late January. You'll see some good snow and Greenville sits right on Moosehead Lake, which is beautiful.

This! Pretty much anywhere in Maine is great in the winter for finding a nice lodge to hang out in and stay cozy by the fire. Greenville is particularly lovely because it's right by our biggest lake (Moosehead) and the mountains so you get the whole experiences. There's even a ski lodge that just re-opened earlier this year. Not sure when they're re-opening but you can check up on it once you make your plans.

If you do decide to come up to maine, I'd suggest also planning on spending a day or two by our rocky coast. It's quite different from your warm beaches, especially in the winter!

Thanks Guys!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Killington, VT. It has fantastic views, lots of things to do. If you get tired of the snow, just head to the spa or the outdoors jacuzzi. I went with a group of folks a few years back, fun times.

http://www.killington.com/winter/index.html
  • paddgirl21
    paddgirl21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ellicotville, NY--they just opened their slopes for the season. :-)