I've NEVER seen Snow! Where should I vacation?

Options

Replies

• walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have traveled alot, west, north and grew up in New England and Met NY

Best bet
    I would go to the Rockies, Colorado, Montana etc.

Solid bet
    I love New England, but you have to go to Vermont and New Hampshire (away from the coast in NH) to have better odds of snow being on the ground. Its beautiful, stone walls, town greens, picture book however go north enough to make sure you have a good chance at snow.

I wouldnt recommend
    Southern New England, Poconos (I lived an hour away from Poconos for 9 years ... no snow guarantee and more dated properties that up to date properties)

Look for great hiking trails, nothing more spectacular that a hike in freshly fallen snow
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Personally, I say save your money and enjoy the sand and sun.

Snow is wet and cold. The romantic ideal picture of snow never meets up to your expectations. The first time boogers freeze to your scarf cause your nose is running you wont like it. Nope it's flu season and scraping car windows in 32deg F trying to get to work at 6am.

Sorry cold isnt fun to me, but if you want to go i'm sure there are some great spots not far from you in like VA or the Northeast.

While 32 deg is not great, when the temp drops down to 20deg and its way better. There is less moisture in the air, the air is crisp to breathe, if there is moisture in the air it looks like flurries the whole day, its not bad at all. I love it

5:30am, meet the boys outside for a run, or kettlebell workout ...no problem once you get going (coldest outside workout temp was -2F)

I like the change in weather, I dont mind the cold, it makes a house feel awesome and cozy
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    It is great around here - we have numerous state and national parks, very beautiful area, tons to see in Southern Utah. Lots of snow, a ski resort and just go south to St. George to escape the cold and back into the warm again.

We have Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Goblin Valley and so much more.
    Tons of great areas (and low prices) on cabin rentals in the snow areas around here. But, for the best snow, I would go further north than here. The snow here can be kind of wet.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Bar Harbor, Maine is beautiful and I can only imagine how much more beautiful in the snow.

Colorado is a gorgeous state.

Asheville, NC is a really neat town.
  • ALKNica
    Options
    If you are looking for a vacation with a multiude of options, I might suggest somewhere in the Salt Lake City Area. After all it was good enough for the Olymics in 2002. From the heart of the city, where there is night life, restaruants you can get to any of 6 world class ski resorts within 30 min. If you want to stay at the resorts, there are unlimited options from cabin rentals to 5 star resorts, depending on your budget. If you simply want to stay in a cabin with snow and not too worried about the skiing, I might suggest Bear Lake Utah/Idaho. It is a destination for summer boaters, but in the winter it is beautiful and quiet. Still only 45 minutes from a major city with all the amenities, you can probably find an incredible price for a cabin as most people only go up in the summer, because it is cold.

There you are, welcome to Utah.

This a thousand times. Utah is very beautiful and the ski resorts are way more accessible than in Colorado. I can attest to the fact that the mountains already have snow now!! And like someone else said, it is the greatest snow on earth.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    Come to New England - specifically ME, NH or VT... and if you really want to see snow -come sometime late January - early March :laugh:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Sure are a ton of places listed here. I'll throw in my 2-cents.....stay East. You flying anywhere past Denver Int'l in wintertime is a nightmare....expect snow delays, fog delays, cancellations, etc. Flying North outside Upstate NY or anywhere on the Eastern seaboard for your snowland experience would be your best bet. I mean, who wants to waste vacate days stuck in airport travel when you could be outside battling frostbite!

Also, look to Goodwill for winter clothing cuz obviously you'll need it but not ALWAYS.

:bigsmile: have fun!
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Chicago..
  • TeamDale54
    Options
    Come to Nebraska on the Nov. 21st.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Utah has great snow and some really good resorts
  • yulianotjulia
    yulianotjulia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Come to Western Canada. The Rockies never disappoint anyone in the snow department. Great skiing, accommodations wonderful scenery.

I agree 100%. If you don't know where to start, go to Banff and Lake Louise. Calgary is also very close by in case you want to live in a big city during your stay :)
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Utah! The resorts are less than an hour from the airport.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Banff Alberta Canada
    Or Fairmont Canada

BEAUTIFUL
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Adirondacks in NY, Lake Placid is magical in the winter.
  • bamita
    bamita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Used to live in Boone, NC. Appalachian Ski Mtn, Hawks Nest, Sugar Mtn and Beech Mtn are all great locales for skiing. Non-skiers can visit Blowing Rock and Banner Elk for some good shopping, not to mention Boone itself. Great people, too. I would have staed if I were more into snow, but for a beautiful place to see snow, go see.http://www.resortcams.com/webcameras-king-street-boone.php That link is so ou can see what Boone looks like on the main street King Street. Here's to check on the weather. http://www.booneweather.com/ Hope you enjo if ou go!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    As many have also mentioned,
    Anywhere along the rockies in canada, some great ski hills and some fabulous scenery

Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise.
    url.jpg

oooooh! Beautiful!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    poconos or catskills
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    One of my best vacations was at a ski lodge in Jackson, Wyoming. I'm a beginner skier but it was so much fun! You can rent skis and there are free lessons for beginners, although I am sure that is true at most of these places.

Love that you have never seen snow. Enjoy the experience!
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    Hands down, without a doubt, MICHIGAN! You can go up north and see snow and then drive back south and have none. If you can time it right, sometimes there is snow in the upper peninsula and the leaves in the lower peninsula are changing colors. Absolutely beautiful and a must see!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The beautiful Sandpoint, Idaho. Located between the mountain and the lake. We have one of the best ski mountains in the U.S., we won most beautiful small town in the U.S. a few different times.