I've NEVER seen Snow! Where should I vacation?

Options

Replies

• paddgirl21
    paddgirl21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin
    Ground Hog Day blizzard 2011
    18+ inches

hv56qw.jpg

Jesus!

I know Buffalo, NY and Marquette, MI can top that pic easily.
    Lake effect snow :grumble:

Sure can! Just had almost a foot down in ski country near Buffalo. :-) the skiiers can't wait to get out there!
  • meghanelana
    meghanelana Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Come to Whistler !
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Park City Utah....It is beautiful here!!! and SO much fun!!!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing something near, but not in, a ski resort area because you will find lots of cabin rentals that fit your bill. Depending on your budget, most have fireplaces and some may even have hot tubs - which is really fun after a day skiing or playing in the snow. A cabin a bit away from the resort but still within driving distance will be private and less expensive than one right at the foot of the mountain. A location near a ski town will also offer additional snow sports which you may like to try such as tobogganing, snowboarding, cross country skiing and snowmobiling. Being in the mountains offers the best chance of seeing snow falling from the sky and not just on the ground.

Suggestions
    Killington, Vermont (the classic winter cabin holiday spot)
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming (can be pricey - not sure what is your budget)
    Lake Tahoe, CA (scenic)
    Whistler, British Columbia (biggest)
    Lake Placid, NY (especially for the other types of winter sport opportunities)
    Park City, or Snowbird Utah (best for seeing fluffy white powder)
    Aspen, or Snow mass, Colorado (there is also some fun "old mining town" stuff here) (Personally, I think Vail is too crowded)

Coming from Miami, you may wish to decide is you want to go to a "regional draw" spot or a "national draw" spot. Regional favorites will draw most other visitors from a couple surrounding cities/states. For example, in Brainerd most folks will be from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. In the Poconos, mostly from the Northeast. In the Catskills, mostly from NY. In Mamoth, mostly from LA. This may be a plus or a minus to you depending on if you are looking for a local experience. The more premier destinations I mention above have a more nations/international draw.
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I second Quebec- I am very eager to go here :
    http://www.mont-sainte-anne.com
    www.villagetouristique.com
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Adirondacks in upstate New York
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Come to Northwest Indiana. In a week's time, you will be able to experience all 4 seasons. Next week it's going to be in the high 60's, followed by the low 40's and snow the next day.
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing something near, but not in, a ski resort area because you will find lots of cabin rentals that fit your bill. Depending on your budget, most have fireplaces and some may even have hot tubs - which is really fun after a day skiing or playing in the snow. A cabin a bit away from the resort but still within driving distance will be private and less expensive than one right at the foot of the mountain. A location near a ski town will also offer additional snow sports which you may like to try such as tobogganing, snowboarding, cross country skiing and snowmobiling. Being in the mountains offers the best chance of seeing snow falling from the sky and not just on the ground.

Suggestions
    Killington, Vermont (the classic winter cabin holiday spot)
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming (can be pricey - not sure what is your budget)
    Lake Tahoe, CA (scenic)
    Whistler, British Columbia (biggest)
    Lake Placid, NY (especially for the other types of winter sport opportunities)
    Park City, or Snowbird Utah (best for seeing fluffy white powder)
    Aspen, or Snow mass, Colorado (there is also some fun "old mining town" stuff here) (Personally, I think Vail is too crowded)

Coming from Miami, you may wish to decide is you want to go to a "regional draw" spot or a "national draw" spot. Regional favorites will draw most other visitors from a couple surrounding cities/states. For example, in Brainerd most folks will be from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. In the Poconos, mostly from the Northeast. In the Catskills, mostly from NY. In Mamoth, mostly from LA. This may be a plus or a minus to you depending on if you are looking for a local experience. The more premier destinations I mention above have a more nations/international draw.
    Wow thank you! Very detailed. I have some homework to do. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    colorado and see the Top of the world zoo when it snows. so pretty. reindeer walkign around and cold wolfs in the snow safely behind glass.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend snow. OVERRATED.

But yeah, MI.

Hey! Snow is da BOMB!!!!

Try shoveling it at -50 you change the tune quickly lol

LOVED IT!!! I'd drop everything to go back to AK today... and besides, all that snow and real cold... keeps out the riff-raff :laugh:
  • Cartwheel_AC
    Cartwheel_AC Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Blue Mountain, Ontario Canada :)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Whistler, British Columbia
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options
    Banff, Alberta, Canada

or

Jasper, Alberta, Canada

or

anywhere in the Yukon

or

anywhere in Alberta or the northern provinces in Canada

THIS!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Breckenridge, Colorado is absolutely beautiful this time of year. The entire town is covered in Christmas lights and snow. My husband and I are from Colorado, but we decided to spend our hunnymoon there. It was absolutely fantastic! Plus if you want to ski, there are some really good beginner slopes. Have fun!

Breakenridge is my vote too.

Vail is a lot more expensive and right on I-70.

I am going to suggest Silverthorne, CO. Close to Breckendridge and Vail but a little less touristy.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Banff, Alberta, Canada

or

Jasper, Alberta, Canada

or

anywhere in the Yukon

or

anywhere in Alberta or the northern provinces in Canada......but I warn ya, snow gets old very quickly!!!!!:(.....you'll be wanting to jump on the next plane home in no time!!!lol

^^ def this.. Canada has some awesome places to go for snow..

Whistler BC is also nice.. ;) love it there.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Blue Mountain, Ontario Canada :)

^^ if your going to see snow.. you have to also see mountains. ;) Im in ontario.. grew up in BC.. ontario has snow.. but we need real mountains ;)
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    8.c.++COB+&+North+Pole+(1).JPG
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Come to Vail, Colorado. Its beautiful during Fall and Winter.
    I loved my skiing holiday in Vail! The slopes were fab!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Personally, I say save your money and enjoy the sand and sun.

Snow is wet and cold. The romantic ideal picture of snow never meets up to your expectations. The first time boogers freeze to your scarf cause your nose is running you wont like it. Nope it's flu season and scraping car windows in 32deg F trying to get to work at 6am.

Sorry cold isnt fun to me, but if you want to go i'm sure there are some great spots not far from you in like VA or the Northeast.
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    North ITaly :)