Options

Replies

• barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    www.eatingwell.com

a good cookbook

you don't have to starve or eat food that isn't tasty/has no variety

send me a friend request and look at the lunch I had today-totally yummy! And my dinner is even better. and my snacks border on manna from Heaven.

Don't overthink it.

You are not an idiot. Start with what you like. Add in some of what you aren't sure about that's healthy and try different ways to prepare it.

My amazing dr. told me to eat less and move more and he was right. Thankfully, I love to cook, and I am good at remaking recipes to be lower cal without sacrificing flavor. And over time, I have been able to move more and more-I move A LOT now, but didn't always. I am not ever going to be the goddess of the gym. I HAT the gym. But I love walking outside and looking at the animals. and I love to ride my bicycle to the grocery store-or even to the next town over. And I get the biggest kick out of snowshoeing. I never did most of these things until I was in my late 40's-and I am always surprised at how much fun it can be to learn new activities!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you are at a deficit, the increase is due to water weight, most likely from starting to exercise.

I would suggest reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And this times infinity. Sara know what she is talking about.
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No one has called you an idiot, or I am sure intended that.
    Crash diet's don't work. We have ALL been there.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    K , again, if you're going to comment and just say "agree" to people who said I am an idiot then please don't bother commenting. I was overseas for a year and not exercising regularly or dieting. I only gained about 20 pounds probably the year I was overseas, but I went off birth control 3 months ago and it caused me to gain 20 more pounds in a short period of time. Yikeeees, posting on here has shown me that most people would rather make me feel dumb or defeated than be encouraging. Thanks to the people that are explaining how they feel in a nice manner.

*Rolling eyes* Well since you don't like our advice and we know absolutely nothing about weight loss, see ticker below. Do you want us to pat you on the back and say their, they'er, there, your just a special snowflake?

I guess I just don't understand people who come and ask for help and than don't want it. :ohwell:
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    61bc03bfe23f3881ca481a131a35956b.jpg
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    K , again, if you're going to comment and just say "agree" to people who said I am an idiot then please don't bother commenting. I was overseas for a year and not exercising regularly or dieting. I only gained about 20 pounds probably the year I was overseas, but I went off birth control 3 months ago and it caused me to gain 20 more pounds in a short period of time. Yikeeees, posting on here has shown me that most people would rather make me feel dumb or defeated than be encouraging. Thanks to the people that are explaining how they feel in a nice manner.

Perhaps you haven't had people tell you the truth before. We are not emotionally connected so I have no issue telling you what you need to hear without a sugary coating. You are doing this in a way which cannot be sustained - you said so yourself. YET, you are arguing with those that are trying to point you down one of many correct paths. You are reaping what you sow in my opinion.

Edited to fix a spelling error.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Nicholson.truth_.jpg
  • staceykristen
    staceykristen Posts: 9 Member
    Options

So you lost 50 lbs, then gained 40 lbs... and this episode has convinced you that the way to do it this time is to do pretty much the same thing you did in the beginning.

Hm.

Again, not constructive. Go back to taking pictures with your cat. and because I gained back my weight doesn't mean that what I did the first time was wrong, it just means I didn't stick with it, and I admit that, and also went off a medication I had been on for 10 years. In no way did I my original post mean to say that all I plan to eat for the rest of my life is spinach and chicken. haha.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cut her some slack guys, drastically cutting carbs leads to a drop in serotonin, which causes people to be cranky and irritable.

Stop cutting carbs, they aren't bad for you. You need them for mental health.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Support does not mean telling you what you want to hear, sweetie.
    A highly restrictive diet like this is doomed to fail.

Agree.
    This is a public forum and I can choose to agree with whatever I like!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So you lost 50 lbs, then gained 40 lbs... and this episode has convinced you that the way to do it this time is to do pretty much the same thing you did in the beginning.

Hm.

Again, not constructive. Go back to taking pictures with your cat. and because I gained back my weight doesn't mean that what I did the first time was wrong, it just means I didn't stick with it, and I admit that, and also went off a medication I had been on for 10 years. In no way did I my original post mean to say that all I plan to eat for the rest of my life is spinach and chicken. haha.

It is constructive because it's an attempt to get you to understand that you're doing it wrong. I knew right away you were on a path to yoyo dieting by reading the OP; your subsequent posting just proved that you have in the past.

You can blame it on whatever you want, but your restrictive diet is silly and unsustainable and will lead to you regaining the weight later.

And before you blame it on the birth control again, you gained 20 lbs before you even stopped that.

You need to do it a different way.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Hm.

Again, not constructive.Go back to taking pictures with your cat. and because I gained back my weight doesn't mean that what I did the first time was wrong, it just means I didn't stick with it, and I admit that, and also went off a medication I had been on for 10 years. In no way did I my original post mean to say that all I plan to eat for the rest of my life is spinach and chicken. haha.

Rude and hateful towards cats. Reported!
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options

You are correct. People like to feel strong and in charge, even if only on the internet because they can't hack it in real life.
  • kariduane
    kariduane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You obviously have incredible determination and I admire that! I have read all the posts thus far and completely understand why folks are saying your consumption is much too restrictive. However, with your ability to remain steadfast you will succeed. Here is what I see from what you have reported.
    When folks report a big weight loss within the first 3 or 4 days it truly is water weight. And, think about it, each pound of weight is 3,500 calories so for a person to drop a legitimate 2 lbs in 3 days they would have to have to be in a calorie deficit of 7,000 calories! Impossible unless you spent hours on the treadmill or did an endurance event for 15 hours! That amount of weight loss is because the average American diet is about 30 grams of carbohydrate to each gram of protein and water clings to carbohydrate so when carbs are decreased water weight is lost.
    You mentioned a couple of snacks that would spike insulin levels unless balanced with protein (an apple) so this may make you feel hungry. Always pair carbohydrate with protein as this will keep insulin levels balanced. It will take between 7 and 10 days for cravings to go away as your blood sugar stabilizes. Keep at it as this is a lifestyle and your determination is inspiring!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Also, the BCP as a general rule only causes an average 5lb weight gain. (I work in the medical field before you try to argue with that).
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I am sure this has been mentioned already but eat what you want as long as it fits your macros. That along with 3-4 days of training is a guarantee way that the lbs will come off. Just remember that this is not a sprint but you are in it for the long haul.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I've hit my base goal on things I like to eat; chocolate, wine, beef, pasta, bread, wine, cheeses, all kinds of veggies, an occasional piece of cake, ice cream, and did I mention wine? Granted, it took me almost ten months to drop forty-some pounds, and I've decided to drop my goal a little more, but I can do this for as long as I need to because I don't feel like this is a diet.

Ditto - I dropped almost 70 eating whole foods while incorporating cheese, beef, wine, potatoes, peanut butter, thai food, KFC, Boston Market, Chipotle, and other restaurants... I don't do dessert or pasta/bread because that's my trigger food but other than that I've eaten some delicious/rich stuff!

Last week for my work lunches I had pot roast with rich mushroom/red wine gravy, a baked potato with real butter, and steamed veggies with sesame oil.

I would go crazy if I had to eat chicken breast and salads every day! In fact, I don't think I've eaten a chicken breast in two years, lol!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Stay encouraged and motivated!! Find what works for you!! Some on this site have forgotten where they came from and it took trial and error along with years of work to be where they are! You got this...one step and one learning experience at a time. Join some groups and link up with some encouraging pals who will guide you along the way and share some of the things which worked for them... I've learned to take a little advice from this one and a little from that one and work my lifestyle change!! Send out some friend requests and get in a challenge.. Girl, if the friend you requested turns out to be a butt then delete them LOL!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Hm.

So since you admit that you won't be eating spinach and chicken the rest of your life, are you prepared for the potential weight gain after resuming normal eating habits? I truly hope you entertain the idea of eating whatever you want in moderation because that's how it works in real life.

Also, anything I have said, I would say to any of my family or close friends. They don't always like what they hear either.
This discussion has been closed.