3 Days in and not inspired

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful supportive comments! this is what I was looking for. Jeez I didn't expect such a harsh reaction. Thanks again <3
    I'm glad you're here! I don't understand those types of comments either.. sometimes I think ppl forget what's it's like to start out and have questions. I get it, I didn't even post in the proper area the first day I posted.. fortunately when someone said something and I apologized everyone got over it.

Have an awesome day.. major Salmon here!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bread is okay.

Processed foods are okay.

Sometimes weight fluctuates for no apparent reason. You may be retaining water from sodium or the increased exercise. Drink plenty of fluids and give it some time to stabilize.

Listen to the people giving you advice above because it's good advice whether it's given in a tone you like or not.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mockzgE9IN1qz4rgp.gif
    This has nothing to do with this post or to be mean to the poster- but this made me LOL- hahahaha :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Based on what you wrote, I guess I'm not sure what sort of response you expected.

based on what I've read in response... I have to assume that the OP thinks that a different perspective = mean.

I'm sorry OP, it's frustrating trying again, feeling like you are doing your best, and being unhappy about the lack of results.
    I don't think people on here were being mean, or even rude... they WERE saying that you do need to shift your point of view.

If you can be open minded enough to shift your goals, you may find yourself more inspired than you've ever been.

It takes time though.

You CAN do it.

THIS!!!!!!!

Slow and steady is what you need to be doing.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I obviously am sticking to this longer than 3 days, I have lost 50 pounds in the past and can do it again. I was just surprised that I gained in the beginning when I drastically changed my exercise and eating habits. Please do not comment if you are going to be rude. This forum is for support.

1) Stop doing low carb. That is the first thing that is killing your motivation. It really isn't necessary. (I've been there)
    2) Create a meal plan centered around your goals.
    3) Log every bit of food intake. Get a food scale and measure everything to the gram.
    4) Weigh-In once a month and evaluate your progress. Feel free to get on the scale every day, but depending on where you are at, daily fluctuations will give you false positives and negatives.

A 500 calorie deficit will be about 4 lbs a month, and 52 lbs over a year. I would start with that goal first and see if you can hit it in a month and see if what you are doing is working. If it isn't working, then you need reevaluate what you are doing. You may not be logging accurately. Once you get that first month down, adjust what you are doing to hit your goals.

I hope this helps.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you are at a deficit, the increase is due to water weight, most likely from starting to exercise.

I would suggest reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This. Definitely read this.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Based on what you wrote, I guess I'm not sure what sort of response you expected.

I agree.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I obviously am sticking to this longer than 3 days, I have lost 50 pounds in the past and can do it again. I was just surprised that I gained in the beginning when I drastically changed my exercise and eating habits. Please do not comment if you are going to be rude. This forum is for support.

There are reasons both for your lack of inspiration and for your possible recent gain, some of which are probably the same reasons that you need to lose the same fifty pounds again. Believe it or not, there's a way that's simpler, more effective, more sustainable, and less stressful.

There is actually a lot of good information in the previous posts. Maybe have a good lunch and come back to them - read over them again to try and glean helpful points, which are ultimately more supportive than some things that may seem nicer on the surface. I agree that sometimes people are more abrupt than necessary, but while you may not appreciate the sense of humor of some or understand why your plan is being criticized, many of these commenters actually are trying to steer you in the right direction.

And, yes, you've taken some first steps, which is great and to be commended. No one wants to see you sabotage yourself, though. None of us is perfect, least of all me, but I will say that you seem to be setting yourself up for an unnecessarily difficult road and this typically results in a lack of success. If you are uninspired after three days, I can't imagine what you'll feel like after a month or six months. And I happen to love both chicken and spinach.

Hang in there.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    You're making this too damn hard.

Just eat real food. Not too much. Lean meats and lots of fruits and veggies.

You don't need to kill yourself in the gym either. 3 days a week for an hour a day or 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. Whatever works for you. If you're going to lift weights, find a routine and stick to it, don't wander through and just pick a couple machines here and there. And the weights have to be heavier than your purse. Always do cardio after you lift weights.

Also, you gained weight because you've been working out the past three days. Retaining water, muscles trying to repair themselves, inflammation.... those are all things that come along with exercising and your body will become better accustomed after a while.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your body isn't happy on the diet you are trying. I did something similar for about a couple years and never lost fat, "toned up" or anything...I just felt tired all the time.
    The I found out about a few things that changed my life forever.
    1- Heavy Lifting. Just do it. It makes your body change so much faster then cardio...(Says an ex cardio bunny of 8 years!) I do Strong Lifts 5x5. Its amazing. I still do cardio and yoga...but not as often.
    2- High Fat and Protein and Low (ish) Carbs. I know...I know... *gasp* I eat fat. A lot of it. I eat Olive oil, Avocados, Coconut oil, Fatty Grass fed beef, Real Cream and butter and I eat plenty off eggs, cheese, yogurts and such. I drink a protein shake daily. I try to eat at least a serving of fish (wild caught canned Salmon is crazy high in good fat) and another of meat (chicken,s teak whatever) every day. For grains I eat homemade whole wheat bread, Oatmeal and whole grain tortillas/pizza crusts. (make my own with plenty of coconut oil, white whole wheat flour and raw honey.)

My skin, energy level, mental happiness and hormone balance have all improved so much that I know this diet is good for my body. And it doesn't feel like a diet because the great satiety of fatty foods. I am anti-GMO and think we eat too much corn so corn fed beef, farmed fish etc is off the menu and I try to NEVER EVER eat vegetable oil, margarine or any fake, processed fats. I also try to avoid overly sweet food and anything with refined flour...

There is a idea in our medical society that FAT is BAD. It is a lie. Look at Americans today. For the past 20 years we have been told to eat a TON of grain and avoiding fats at all cost.
    Did it help our health at all?
    You can find tons of white bread that claim "No Saturated Fat." in our groceries. Cookies, chips and frozen dinners all pretending to be healthy because the have no EVIL FAT.

If saturated fats were what is killing us, America would be healthy. We abolished sat fats years ago. Now we have mental health issues, skin problems, weight problems... And many of these can be traced to a lack of Good Fat!

Our bodies are constantly craving fat. Look how much fried food Americans eat and crave. But the problem is that this fried food is fried in vegetable oil... (research how vegetable oil is made and you will never eat it again) so the body just keeps craving more and more fat and we keep giving it the fake stuff... Mix that is with white flour and TONS of sugar and there is where you will find your health problems, obesity and mental unrest. There would be a lot less prescription for anti-depressants if people just ate some fat!

Sorry to get on my soap box but the paradigm of "healthy eating" perpetrated by "scientific studies" funded by General Mills and incomplete studies started in the 60s is what is killing us. Fat does not make you fat unless you eat more calories then you expend. It works just like any other calorie out there.

Oh and it also doesn't cause heart disease...White flour and sugar and the resulting inflammation is what is doing that to us! Google it. You may be shocked by the loads of evidence that disagree with the current paradigm that has been preached by the medical community for the past two decades or so...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are being particularly rude.

This is why people fail at "diets". They try diets that are too strict, too unlike their "normal" lives, then they either can't stick with it, or they regain everything when they go off. As cliche as it sounds you really do nee to "change your lifestyle". The changes you make need to be sustainable forever. Is this something you can do forever? Will you really eat low carb and work out forever? How about working out 3 days a week, and eating "normal" but on a slight deficit? Then when you hit your goal the adjustment back to maintenance is very small.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    Just keep logging your food, stay under you calories and do at least 45 min of cardio, or swimming etc. 3 days a week. Drink water, and you will see that your weight will come right off. It takes a while sometimes, we are all different, and many factors can take place... for example .. yeserday we had a potluck, I ate very small portions of different things - I still enjoyed it and under my calories. Dont give up!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Seems like you need to eat more, probably have more protein foods too.
  • staceykristen
    staceykristen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    K , again, if you're going to comment and just say "agree" to people who said I am an idiot then please don't bother commenting. I was overseas for a year and not exercising regularly or dieting. I only gained about 20 pounds probably the year I was overseas, but I went off birth control 3 months ago and it caused me to gain 20 more pounds in a short period of time. Yikeeees, posting on here has shown me that most people would rather make me feel dumb or defeated than be encouraging. Thanks to the people that are explaining how they feel in a nice manner.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    K , again, if you're going to comment and just say "agree" to people who said I am an idiot then please don't bother commenting. I was overseas for a year and not exercising regularly or dieting. I only gained about 20 pounds probably the year I was overseas, but I went off birth control 3 months ago and it caused me to gain 20 more pounds in a short period of time. Yikeeees, posting on here has shown me that most people would rather make me feel dumb or defeated than be encouraging. Thanks to the people that are explaining how they feel in a nice manner.

So you lost 50 lbs, then gained 40 lbs... and this episode has convinced you that the way to do it this time is to do pretty much the same thing you did in the beginning.

Hm.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Support does not mean telling you what you want to hear, sweetie.

A highly restrictive diet like this is doomed to fail. It really is quite simple: burn more calories than you take in. Eat healthier & exercise more. Find out what your TDEE is and subtract 10-20%. And eat all the foods, just in moderation.

It's nt rocket science, and you are definately making it harder than it needs to be. The whole point is to sustain the weight loss, and that kind of eating will do no such thing.
  • WanaBMom
    WanaBMom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It taked 40 days to change a habbit. not 3
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat it.

The bottom line is to create a deficit to lose weight.

I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.