Parenthood is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have come to discover that children are like flower buds...they slowly open to reveal themselves and their beauty within.

My little flowers are complete opposites but I love them both equally and with everything I have. I honestly cannot imagine and do not want to imagine them not being a part of my life. I know parenting is not for everyone (and I know plenty of people that the thought of them caring for children scares the ever loving *kitten* out of me) but for me I would not trade it for anything!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, 8 and 11. I made a grilled chicken burrito for my son one night. It was just plain with chicken and cheese and I grilled it with the panini maker. I asked him to try it, knowing he would like it, but knowing that getting my kids to try new foods can be a challenge.

He looked at it funny, took one bite and said "Wow dad, that's pro."

My wife literally laughed out loud. Having kids is the hardest most frustrating thing I have ever done and I would never change that decision for anything.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    We were married for 15 years before we had our son. It was by far the best thing is my life other than marrying my best firend and wife.

It's all in how you raise them, I was never and "oogey...oogey...kind of guy anyway.

I equate raising a child like teaching a dog. They always want your approval and to please you.

I don;t believe in letting the kid figure out what is right and wrong. it's up to the parent. Get them working as soon as they can walk, like sorting the laundry, helping clear the table, etc. it makes them feel important and teaches them responsibility.

Good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    We're expecting our first in about 3 weeks. I'm very excited.

I've had moments where I kind of wished we'd have waited another year or two (I'm 30, she's 31). We've always been very social and loved going on little trips (skiing, going south, etc.) and I've realized that this won't be possible anymore.

Still, the more I get into the parenting mindset, the less exciting and fulfilling that stuff sounds. Going out and partying and dancing until 2am every Saturday seems so much more 'empty'.
    It's definitely helping that a lot of our friends are starting to have kids as well.

I'm so excited to meet her.

She's going to wrap you round her little finger!

And it really is the greatest adventure. You'll see......
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Raise your hand if you wish your parents had chosen sleeping in or pets over having you? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Raise your hands if you were a vet in Afghanistan and lost your arms after a bomb blast.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

You should change your user name to Larry Literal..
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. I'm a single mom with a 3 1/2 year old whose dad has never been in the picture. He gave up when I was 6 months pregnant so I've been doing it on my own. My parents won't watch him because "I need to learn from my mistakes"...a "mistake" he is not. Although the freedom is worth it sometimes, going out just hardly seems worth it because I don't get to put him to bed and sing twinkle little star or give him a kiss goodnight.

Thiere is no way to explain this to someone who does not want children. I applaud you, I applaud you, I applaud you.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Having kids is not for everyone. It's a major lifestyle overhaul and a lot of work. That being said, I'll never regret my choice to have kids--nor my choice to marry again and make my family even bigger. I love my little flock! :heart:

Also, when kids get bigger--they enjoy traveling at the drop of a hat once in a while too. Who says you can't?! It's good to teach them to live in the moment. :wink:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting thing - parenthood.

You cannot explain to a person how much they will change when their child is born. I thought I knew when I heart his heartbeat for the first time. Then, when I saw his little face on the ultrasound. Even when I felt him kicking - I thought "This is real love!" THEN, he was born. You really can't imagine it.

When my goddaughter was born I thought I knew what it must feel like to truly love a child like your own. It's not the same. To see your eyes and your loved one's (husband, boyfriend...whatever) nose running around your livingroom. To know your DNA has created this amazing little person.

I have told many of my friends and family "if you are not amazed every single day by your child - you aren't paying close enough attention." The growth that has occurred within me since he was born has astounded me. I would agreed 100% that parenting is NOT for everyone. I admire people that say no and stick to it. I also admire people that do not cave to the pressures of having more than one child. My husband and I were both only children, and there is still a high probability that my son will be an only child. I feel immense pressure from everyone to have a second child. It is not in the cards for everyone.

I also agree that my child is the best and more important thing to ever happen to me, but I admit 100% that there have been moments in his life (most recently Monday) when I questioned my decision to have a child. The "what have I done?" feeling was suffocating. I've been through a lot in my life (stress-wise) - somethings that nearly killed me. Nothing has been harder than raising a productive, respectful, dignified human being.

I'll let you know how that part turns out... right now he's 17 months and none of those adjectives apply. :cry: He's a terrorist. Plain and simple. But I love him :heart:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting thing - parenthood.

You cannot explain to a person how much they will change when their child is born. I thought I knew when I heart his heartbeat for the first time. Then, when I saw his little face on the ultrasound. Even when I felt him kicking - I thought "This is real love!" THEN, he was born. You really can't imagine it.

When my goddaughter was born I thought I knew what it must feel like to truly love a child like your own. It's not the same. To see your eyes and your loved one's (husband, boyfriend...whatever) nose running around your livingroom. To know your DNA has created this amazing little person.

I have told many of my friends and family "if you are not amazed every single day by your child - you aren't paying close enough attention." The growth that has occurred within me since he was born has astounded me. I would agreed 100% that parenting is NOT for everyone. I admire people that say no and stick to it. I also admire people that do not cave to the pressures of having more than one child. My husband and I were both only children, and there is still a high probability that my son will be an only child. I feel immense pressure from everyone to have a second child. It is not in the cards for everyone.

I also agree that my child is the best and more important thing to ever happen to me, but I admit 100% that there have been moments in his life (most recently Monday) when I questioned my decision to have a child. The "what have I done?" feeling was suffocating. I've been through a lot in my life (stress-wise) - somethings that nearly killed me. Nothing has been harder than raising a productive, respectful, dignified human being.

I'll let you know how that part turns out... right now he's 17 months and none of those adjectives apply. :cry: He's a terrorist. Plain and simple. But I love him :heart:
    Oh honey, 17 months, I'm not surprised you feel that way. There's light at the end of your tunnel very soon. We all feel the urge to eat our young when they're that age. :laugh:
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I was a teen mom....I got pregnant at 18. I have to say that I believe becoming a parent has been the best gift and job I have ever been given. I came from a broken home and never really had parental love or guidance. I vowed to be the mom that I never had.
    I fell in love the moment I saw my daughter for the first time.

Nothing could have prepared me for the challenges that would lie ahead. People will say being a parent can be difficult and challenging. I was scared but also ready and willing to accept all of it. When I had my second child and was told that both of my children were affected by a very rare neuromuscular condition all of those challenges and difficulties were set before me. I knew I would have it hard being a young mother, but never expected what was to come.

Flash forward 19 years (the best 19 years of my life) I wake up each morning knowing that because of my kids I am a better person. They have taught me that life is a gift, that I can never give up because I never let them give up. They taught me what unconditional love is and how much of it I have. They make me want to be a better person. I have come to realize how precious life is.

You will be faced with challenges and changes. I won't say it is easy but I will say that it is all worth it. I love my kids with everything I am and I wouldn't change a thing. The freedom I gave up is nothing compared to happiness I have experienced.

Congratulation on your upcoming bundle of joy
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I never used to want children. Then, at 40, I had a son. Then, our daughter died at 26 weeks' gestation. Since we have had another boy and a girl. I am 46 years old with three living children and another one on the way. And they are...

worth.
    every.
    second.

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter and so happy you were blessed with another boy and girl. And yes, they are worth every second!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you think it is reasonable to compare pet ownership with raising children, it is best for all parties involved that you stick with the pet thing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you think it is reasonable to compare pet ownership with raising children, it is best for all parties involved that you stick with the pet thing.

The love given is not that far apart... but the emotional/financial burdens are.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had my first at a young age, I didn't get the whole fun college adult experience...and I am okay with that. Parenthood is NOT for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with not wanting kids or just wanting one.

I have 3 kids all about 2 years apart from eachother, 4.5yo, 2.5yo and 11.5 months. I live in a MAD house, there are questionable carpet stains, toys everywhere, my husband and I don't really go anywhere, don't have much free time, we're pretty broke and sex is interrupted about half the time lol, but I wouldn't trade my kids for the world.
    They fill a piece of my heart, I never knew was empty. I am constantly in awe watching them grow everyday, learn new things. Talk back with the same things I would be saying to myself. To hear the same words my mother would yell at me is hilarious, depressing and wonderful all at the same time lol.
    While there are plenty of times, I just want to break down from being overwhelmed at the responsibilty, all that doesn't seem to matter when my kids smile at me. When they get hurt, my kiss is magic!!! When they are scared, my arms makes them feel safe. It's an overwhelming feeling of love that is like no other. God has blessed me with something I never knew I needed and I will always be thankful and therefore yes parenthood is so worth it. Congrats on your soon to be bundle of joy. It's going to be a wild ride! lol
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I already tried to fight that battle earlier... dude was just trolling. Best to stop feeding him!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I decided as a teenager that I didn't want kids, and didn't particularly like them. Then at 32 I gave birth to the most wonderful miniature human and everything got better. He turned 9 last week and it still sometimes feels as though someone took my heart out of my chest and made it walk around independently. So worth it.

I have always loved the quote "to be a mother is to forever decide to let your heart roam around outside your body." For me, this is exactly what it feels like.
    Save yourself.

I'm not having kids, but I would like to rent one on Halloween so I could still go trick or treating. Anyone willing to start a "rent-a-kid" program?

lol, I hate Halloween - always have. But, that's just me. Last year and the year before I let my best friend and her husband take my daughter trick or treating. This year, nobody went. My daughter was sad, but personally, I was happy. I dont like the concept anyways.
    I know that feeling. I'm a single mom with a 3 1/2 year old whose dad has never been in the picture. He gave up when I was 6 months pregnant so I've been doing it on my own. My parents won't watch him because "I need to learn from my mistakes"...a "mistake" he is not. Although the freedom is worth it sometimes, going out just hardly seems worth it because I don't get to put him to bed and sing twinkle little star or give him a kiss goodnight.

I was a single mother until my daughter was 3. My father told me when I was pregnant that I needed to adopt her out. During the years as a single mother, I always avoided him because he would just rant about how he "told me so" and "knew I was going to screw it up." He refused to be of any help at all. I know what this feels like and am sorry your parents were that way. My daughter has turned out very well in spite of the rocky road and my father has since eaten and apologized for his words but I still avoid his opinions on anything.
    Raise your hand if you wish your parents had chosen sleeping in or pets over having you? Yeah, that's what I thought...

That depends. If my parents had chosen to not have me, would there still be the opportunity to be born, just to a different set of parents? If so, pick me! I would love to have a 'do over' in life - mostly just a different dad would be nice....
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options

After being a world traveler and seeing some of the cruel world, I have decided for myself that it would seriously selfish of me to bring another soul to this world. Why should I put a kid through all the mess that is life for MY entertainment and joy?

Or you could do what I did and adopt. All the awesome without adding a soul.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Umm...so you're saying that everyone should breed uncontrollably, even if they don't want to, just because they themselves are alive? :noway:
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Words cannot express the sheer joy my 8 year old son brings me every day. It is also the hardest job in the world being a parent. I wouldn't trade it for anything. He is my soul! What a gift he is, and raising him, has been. I am extremely blessed to be his mommy.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, someone just sent this to me. Seems like this would be a good place to leave it.

Some NSFW language
    http://littlewhitelion.com/people-with-no-kids-dont-know-46781/