Parenthood is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't trade my daughter for anything in this world.

I was exactly 8 months pregnant with her when I was turned 21, which shot the whole party, party, bar scene out of the water. But I didn't miss it one bit. Even having her pretty young, I don't feel like I missed out anything. Of course both my husband and my family are amazing and love keeping Paislee if we want a night to ourselves.

Just the little things they do are more than enough to bring a smile to your face. My daughter is just now getting her vocabulary down to were she can actually form sentences and communicate clearly, but her favorite thing to do is sing. She makes up her own songs and just sangs away. Her favorite is a combination of a bunch of "I miss you"s and random members of the family's names or nicknames. She makes my heart smile.

My dad always told me I would never know how much he loved me til I had one of my own, and he was 100% correct. You love your spouse or SO, but the love for your child is just so different, no necessarily more, but just more of an agape love.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    having pets make you a parent and they replied in such a way that said they aren't ready to be parents.....read the entire thing quote.

Seriously? It doesn't.

Having kids and allowing yourself to grow as they grow makes you a parent.

Having pets makes you a pet owner, no matter how much you love your little fluffy-wuffy munchkins. Fact.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have a six month old baby girl now, and I must admit that the connection between me and her was not immediate. It took about 3 months for me to have that unconditional love for her. My mother blames it on post partum depression, although it's hard to say since I never went to a psychiatrist.

Parenthood is not for the faint of heart, and there are definitely things that I miss. But hearing her giggles and coos make this life worth living. I have never worried so much in my life as much as I worry anytime I leave her. I think about things like what if something happens to me or my husband? How will she be taken care of? Thoughts enter my mind that I never had to worry about before.

There is nothing more beautiful that seeing her smiling face in the morning when I wake her up. Because she was conceived with someone whom I love very much, I love my husband more for giving her to me, and I love her more because I made her with my true love. I know it's mushy, but it's what makes our family what it is today. And even though my daughter wasn't planned, I wouldn't change a thing.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Y'all are making me cry!!! :heart:

isn't that what kids are for?

Sometimes! Other times, they're for making one want to pull out their hair!!!
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'll never have children because I don't want to give up the life of a non-parent. I decided this when I was a teen and have stuck to it.

SAME! I have 3 dogs and that's good enough.
    this is an ignorant statement.......animals are just as much responsibility.......seriously.......please reevaluate yourself.

calm down. They never said dogs are less responsibility. They said they have dogs and that is enough.
    Don't tell me what to do.......you are not my MOM or DAD LOL

having pets make you a parent and they replied in such a way that said they aren't ready to be parents.....read the entire thing quote.

LMAO! Panties in a twist for nothing. I mean, I keep my dogs chained up outside, feed them when I feel like, walk by and kick them just for a laugh, make them wait for rain to get water. It's what any responsible parent would do, right?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had my son 10 days after my 30th birthday and Im so glad it took that long for me to have him. I sowed all my wild oats in my 20s and I regret none of the stupid things I did as I had so much fun doing them! Now that Im in my 30s, fun is a different thing to me. I love spending time with him and he is 2 just now so he is hilarious all the time! Dont get me wrong, if I have a night without him I get out and paint the town red but Im drunk on 3 drinks and ready for bed at 11!! and I miss him like crazy!

Your gonna have so much fun, you can watch all the disney you want and sing all the songs!!!
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You literally cannot explain the sheer joy you feel as a parent when coming home after a long $hitty day and the minute you walk in the door your 2 year-old Screams "DADDY! (or MOMMY!) and runs full speed across the room to throw themselves at you in a big hug.

exactly this :happy: mine are 5 and 11 months and as pp said there are a few struggles and downsides to being a parent but for every one there are at least 10 good ones to cancel them out :smile: Im just work right now and this post has made me miss my babies :cry: can't wait to pick them up, give them a big hug and see their lil smiles x

ps i had my 1st when I was 20 and although I do wish I had lived a bit more before I would never change it x
  • SamanthaH10
    Options

Seriously? It doesn't.

Having pets makes you a pet owner, no matter how much you love your little fluffy-wuffy munchkins. Fact.

^^ Exactly

Being responsible for a tiny human is night and day compared to caring for animals. I do call them my babies, but raising children cannot compare to raising animals.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    The I Love You's! Their smiles! Their accomplishments! Their struggles!! Hugs!! Tears!! Everything is great-- I would not change motherhood for anything in the world!! Everything else is overrated, IMHO! Besides one can still have fun and do the other things in life we enjoy-- but definitely comes down to priorities-- my children are mine!! :D
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Seriously? It doesn't.

Exactly. I was a pet owner before I had my baby, and I still have him. I love my dog the same, but it didn't prepare me whatsoever for parenthood.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Parenthood is miserable. You do things that would gross your former self out beyond belief. At times you feel helpless. Everything you do is wrong, you worry constantly. You have no free time, not that you'd have any money left to do anything anyway.
    When you do get to talk to another adult all you do is discuss your children. There are times when don't care what you look like or what or if you get to eat. And you never get to sleep!

Is it worth it? Abso****inglutely! Most wonderful, amazing, fulfilling, heart warming, experience of my life. Wouldn't trade it for a million years of being childless. One day out of the blue my son puts his hand on my face and says "Mommy, you're beautiful"
    The feeling of a child taking your hand when you're walking. Their endless curiosity and beautiful innocence. Children teach you so much and you find yourself wanting to be better because they deserve everything you can give them.
  • SamanthaH10
    Options
    I'll never have children because I don't want to give up the life of a non-parent. I decided this when I was a teen and have stuck to it.

SAME! I have 3 dogs and that's good enough.
    this is an ignorant statement.......animals are just as much responsibility.......seriously.......please reevaluate yourself.

calm down. They never said dogs are less responsibility. They said they have dogs and that is enough.
    Don't tell me what to do.......you are not my MOM or DAD LOL

LMAO! Panties in a twist for nothing. I mean, I keep my dogs chained up outside, feed them when I feel like, walk by and kick them just for a laugh, make them wait for rain to get water. It's what any responsible parent would do, right?
    panties? getting childish ourselves are we?

ok that's better.....your are an old style of pet owner.....Peta will be looking for you.

That's me, childish and old school to the bone. You need an address to send PETA my way? :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Seriously? It doesn't.

I have both kids and pets. And while there are certainly vast contrasts between the two. There are enough similarities to legitimately make the comparison. Personally, I find parenting more challenging, and at the same time, more fulfilling. But either being a parent or a pet owner, you are taking on the responsibility of the care of another living creature.

At least as a parent, you will hopefully get to see your child grow and prosper, and by the grace of God, they will outlive you. As a pet owner, you care for that creature until it dies, and you know that the odds are likely that it will die before you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    kids???????????????????

Is this a question? Seems to be missing some important elements - verbs, for example.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    You literally cannot explain the sheer joy you feel as a parent when coming home after a long $hitty day and the minute you walk in the door your 2 year-old Screams "DADDY! (or MOMMY!) and runs full speed across the room to throw themselves at you in a big hug.

Until they grow up... my 10-yo and 14-yo don't meet me at the door. You know who does... my cat!! :tongue:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Seriously? It doesn't.

wrong.

the people I know dress their pets, kiss their pets.....let them sleep in the bed with them.....buy them gifts.....train them.....watch them.....take them on vacation with them....etc I could go on..

kids???????????????????

and seriously people......I'm chilling at work and replying.......geez its no biggie LOL you guys need to evaluate yourself here.

That still does not make them parents. Nobody is getting all worked up. It's your opinion, but it just happens to be different that most of the people on here. Do you have kids?
  • elwing
    elwing Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We had a completely planned pregnancy, but I *hated* it, and I *hated* my daughter when she was born and about a year afterwards. There are still fleeting moments when I regret having her (she's almost 3). BUT - I had severe antenatal and post-partum depression, and it was made worse by people telling me "oh, you'll love her as soon as she's born and you look into her eyes" - because I didn't love her then.

Once I started on meds (at a year), it changed. For the most part, I wouldn't give her up for the world, but sometimes the depression triggers and I get those fleeting moments. I just remember her smiles and hugs, and it gets me through the worst parts.

long story short: even if you don't love your baby at first sight - it will come although it may take a long time...
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I adore my boys so much. I am a divorced mother so I have some time when my boys are with their father....and I do take advantage of the time to have a bit of me time but I miss them like crazy too! And I always say all is right with the world when they're back home with me. They do put so much in perspective. As long as we're all healthy, we're good. I rarely sleep past 7, meals are not often hot when I'm with them and the saying cleaning with kids around is like shoveling during a snowstorm is very accurate....but I wouldn't trade it for the world. They have already grown so fast...and I know they will be out of the house before I know it! :)

I am a separated Mom of 2 little girls and everything you said rang true for me too. My simply amazing BF is a great help though so I do have that help. I also try to take advantage of the time both with them and the time apart from them (as hard as it is because I miss them).

As to the OP's question, yes it is hard but it is soooooo worth it!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Seriously? It doesn't.

wrong.

the people I know dress their pets, kiss their pets.....let them sleep in the bed with them.....buy them gifts.....train them.....watch them.....take them on vacation with them....etc I could go on..

kids???????????????????

and seriously people......I'm chilling at work and replying.......geez its no biggie LOL you guys need to evaluate yourself here.

I always thought of my cats as my children, (and still do- Zina Nina is my furry four legged kid) BUT- pets, while being members of the family and like perpetual toddlers, do not talk back. Do not willfully disobey and push every button you have.every.single.day. At least, not if they're decently trained.

It is different, though I wouldn't expect those who have fur-children but not human children to understand that. I *thought* I knew things about kids, childrearing and such.... and then I had kids. And, I'm still learning, but my girls have changed my outlook on a lot of things.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Seriously? It doesn't.

wrong.

kids???????????????????

I always thought of my cats as my children, (and still do- Zina Nina is my furry four legged kid) BUT- pets, while being members of the family and like perpetual toddlers, do not talk back. Do not willfully disobey and push every button you have.every.single.day. At least, not if they're decently trained.

It is different, though I wouldn't expect those who have fur-children but not human children to understand that. I *thought* I knew things about kids, childrearing and such.... and then I had kids. And, I'm still learning, but my girls have changed my outlook on a lot of things.

Agreed. It's the complex psychology of child-rearing that makes it sooooo different from pet-rearing. Although, I find cats come very close.