Very serious wildlife question: beaver dams

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    As beavers are wont to do. I guess you need to ask yourself, is it worth changing everything to have a little beaver around? Sounds to me like you're dammed if you do and damned if you don't.

*snort laugh*

me too *snort laugh* I see what you did there.

Also have you considered OP that you might be lucky that you got this far with no beavers setting up camp at your tree? If you look at it another way have you ever wondered why it took so long for a beaver to become protective of your tree? Maybe there were other bigger trees out there all along which you did notice as you tended to your tree so carefully. Maybe all those trees have already been claimed by other beavers and your's was finally next on the list for a dam? You should consider yourself lucky that you lasted this long without a dam but also that now that you are next on the dam list you got a cute beaver to your liking to join you on your property. Were you thinking of letting your tree just keep growing until it just got too heavy and fell or worse was not enough a part of the sustainability cycle and just kind of withered from the inside? Isn't it nice a beaver has chosen your tree as dam worthy and it's a beaver you think highly of?
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Beavers keep lists? I guess I should have known. :grumble:

I suppose I'll go down and have a talk with that beaver and let her know she can stick around. She likely won't understand plain English (they never do), but we should be able to come to an accord if we keep at it awhile. Either that or she'll chew my face off.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Beavers like it when u go down
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    And have a talk with them

Lol hit return too fast in my excitement
  • jfl5
    jfl5 Posts: 37
    Options
    Can you get dynamite?

Nailed it. Dynamite arrows are the way to go. You've seen Dukes of Hazzard, right?
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    HarleyFatboyFan Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    For beaver dam problems contact the boys at Duck Commander (Duck Dynasty)
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    LMAO.... ^^^^^^ This
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options
    Whoever suggested dynamite, shame on you. I'm not going to unleash destruction on a poor little beaver, not like that. That's just inhumane. There's a certain responsibility that comes with being a landowner. :angry:

I dunno. Some beavers enjoy a good blast now and then.

^hihooooo:drinker:
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    So glad for you that the beaver is now behaving. However, aren't naughty beavers good to have around too? Not an angry beaver, just a playful naughty beaver. If she gets too rough around the tree area, maybe spank her with a rolled up newspaper or something harder to show your authority. I've noticed a lot of beavers respond well to this type of punishment. She may even purr like a house cat again.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    Understandable that you would not want to bruise the beaver. The beaver may go into hiding and never come out to play, or only come out on rare occasions. When it does come out finally to play, this may make you to believe that play time would be frequent as hoped for, only to have the beaver go back into hiding for long periods of time. You're right, punishment to the beaver should only be used on rare and/or special occasions.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the beaver likes to come out and play a lot if you have enough wood. Usually that works
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    As they say... beavers love wood. It’s really actually your fault for having the tree out there for the beaver to see. It’s always gonna be your fault.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    This will be unpopular but I’m all for a man teaching a beaver a lesson. It’s been my experience that most beavers think they call the shots but you’ve got to get out there and show that beaver who is boss. Give it a good pounding. You wouldn’t believe how much punishment one can take. I mean, poke at it a bit first, get it riled up. Stick your tongue out at it, it’s fun to taunt beavers and when it starts to be more ameanable, really lay into. Don’t stop until you’ve expended and exhausted yourself. I dunno, that’s my two pennies.

I like beavers. I like to pet them. They don't always let me pet them but when they do they seem to like it. They are such furry little critters. Did you know they like to eat wood? Once when I was camping I was feeding a beaver some wood and it must of been really hungry because it kept eating it. I was really impressed at how much wood that beaver could take.

I say let the beaver stay, OP. People pay good money to see beavers. Maybe you could start charging people to see it on your land.

'Beaver tourism': can it work?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/20152978
  • cee134
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This will be unpopular but I’m all for a man teaching a beaver a lesson. It’s been my experience that most beavers think they call the shots but you’ve got to get out there and show that beaver who is boss. Give it a good pounding. You wouldn’t believe how much punishment one can take. I mean, poke at it a bit first, get it riled up. Stick your tongue out at it, it’s fun to taunt beavers and when it starts to be more ameanable, really lay into. Don’t stop until you’ve expended and exhausted yourself. I dunno, that’s my two pennies.

I'm not sure what more I can do here, as a property owner. Just look at the advice given in this thread so far: shoot it, eat it, sell it, dynamite(!) it, pound it within an inch of my life...what is a wildlife lover supposed to do? If it's found out I do all of those things you just know the beaver protectionists are gonna swarm down on me looking for a piece.

Did you know the habitat of the beaver is the riparian zone, inclusive of wet stream beds. The actions of beavers for hundreds of thousands of years in the Northern Hemisphere have kept these watery systems healthy and in good repair.

The beaver works as a keystone species in an ecosystem by creating moist wetlands that are used by many other species. Next to humans, no other animal appears to do more to shape its landscape.
  • cee134
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I'm not sure what more I can do here, as a property owner. Just look at the advice given in this thread so far: shoot it, eat it, sell it, dynamite(!) it, pound it within an inch of my life...what is a wildlife lover supposed to do? If it's found out I do all of those things you just know the beaver protectionists are gonna swarm down on me looking for a piece.

Did you know the habitat of the beaver is the riparian zone, inclusive of wet stream beds. The actions of beavers for hundreds of thousands of years in the Northern Hemisphere have kept these watery systems healthy and in good repair.

The beaver works as a keystone species in an ecosystem by creating moist wetlands that are used by many other species. Next to humans, no other animal appears to do more to shape its landscape.

Fascinating. Yet some here would have me dynamite the poor thing. :sad:

Dynamite it. That just blows my mind they wood suggest that.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the beaver secrete a goo that smells like vanilla
    In fact, it’s sometimes used in vanilla flavorings. Castoreum is a chemical compound that mostly comes from a beaver’s castor sacs, which are located under the tail. It is secreted as a brown slime that's about the consistency of molasses and smells like musky vanilla. It’s an FDA-approved natural flavoring.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Did you know that the beaver secrete a goo that smells like vanilla
    In fact, it’s sometimes used in vanilla flavorings. Castoreum is a chemical compound that mostly comes from a beaver’s castor sacs, which are located under the tail. It is secreted as a brown slime that's about the consistency of molasses and smells like musky vanilla. It’s an FDA-approved natural flavoring.

What exactly am I supposed to do with this information? I'm aware that beavers have a natural scent...heck, the tree smells like vanilla sugar cookies about 90% of the year. But other than tolerate it, there's not much to do. The more affectionate I am with the beaver the more it smells like something I want to eat.

It's just that a lot of people like the Beaver Goo, so I thought I should make sure that you were aware of this great perk of having a Beaver at your disposal.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    FatHuMan1 wrote: »
    A man's propensity to grow fond of a beaver will always lead to the demise of his stout wood. It's just the way life is. Accept it.

Mad Re5pext

This post tugged at my heartstrings. ...