Sara’s First Powerlifting Competition (pics and vids)

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yay Sara, amazing job! Yay for pretty trophies!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OMG sara what a wonderful play by play and LOVE your adorable socks! I am particularly impressed with this vid here http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=fn91tv&s=5#.UofEJ3C-q5s because even though I know you as a strong and powerful woman it still gave me the feels to see everyone else watching prepare physically for your lift and I was just awed at the awesome support you had from those around you IRL. "Team" comes to mind as a word and although I never thought of that term vis a vis powerlifting I now do and will foray into that area much more confidently when the time comes. You have opened a new door today for me with the whole story but this single vid alone pretty much knocked it down for me. Until now I had the misconceived notion of lifting as a solo endeavor and being a team player that scared me a bit. I am no stranger to danger having been a former cheer stunt flyer and now I see that trust and being there for one another plays a very serious and real role in your sport as well. THank you for that!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Who the hell breaks records in their first PL meet? ;)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I only read this now! Can't believe I missed it. You write so beautifully Sara, I felt like was there with you. The pictures are lovely! My favourite is the one with the medals!!!! Absolutely fantastic, I am so excited for you! Congratulations .... National! Wow:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was so excited for you the day of the comp, rooting you on from home, waiting expectantly for every update. I hope you know just how proud we all are of you, how much support you have behind you, and what an absolute inspiration you are. For your dedication and your knowledge and for how very human you are because even though so many of us look up to you, you are still so humble and still get nervous in the face of a challenge. But you are an effing rockstar! You may have had some bad lifts, may have been disappointed in yourself, but for your first meet, for all the nerves you had going in, look at what you accomplished! Anxiously awaiting the next one so I can cheer you on again.

tumblr_lfdq0vljKR1qbeg0no1_500.gif

tumblr_lua1jp2DjQ1qafrh6.gif

Thank you so much for your post. While I felt quite a bit of pressure, everyone on here's encouragement was fantastic and very motivating. My bad lifts were not only disappointing for me, but I felt like I let people down. However, the good lifts made me feel like I was justifying people's belief in me. A huge part me actually getting up the gumption and nerve to compete was all the people on MFP.

For that, and for giving me the tools and support to even start lifting, I owe MFP and it's members a huge sloppy kiss.

lmao...edited to fix an embarrassing typo. One little letter missed off a word can change the while meaning...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration to me. I know exactly who I am going to bother with my newb questions when I sign up for my first meet. :tongue:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    IN for Sara doing a happy dance.

You FREAKING ROCK!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thanks so much for posting!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you Sara! Always great to see a competitive person do well in what they love!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I just love that happy dance pic!!!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This is awesome stuff! Best trip report, ever! :drinker:

The bench press outcome is so odd - I watched the video, from the way the bar went down to your chest is a smooth, controlled manner, I thought you had it *nailed*. Just one of those things, I guess - I'm sure you'll get it next time!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Who the hell breaks records in their first PL meet? ;)

Sara
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Excellent!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Fanfrickintastic!!! And I told you Sidesteels faith in you would be validated. Congrats!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    wow that was so good to read - sounds like an amazing experience. I am 46 and still got a fair amount of weight to lose, and have just started on my first proper attempt at weightlifting and am on week 3 of NRLFW and loving it - but your post helps quash my fears that I am being a bit silly starting this at my age and size.

congrats on such a brilliant first meet, love that the community sounds so supportive and you did so well, I would be as high as a kite if I broke records first time out, you must be stoked to have done so well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is awesome stuff! Best trip report, ever! :drinker:

The bench press outcome is so odd - I watched the video, from the way the bar went down to your chest is a smooth, controlled manner, I thought you had it *nailed*. Just one of those things, I guess - I'm sure you'll get it next time!

Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Yep, it had me scratching my head also. Everything felt good, the 125lb went up easy, and the next 2 did not feel that heavy on the way down, they just would not go up. It was very baffling.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    tumblr_me7xb5W2TW1rln1tdo1_400.gif

Super proud of you!!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Sara. You constantly amaze me. And make me smile.

DwLQ5Q2.gif

YAY! yay for the GIF to finally get loaded here AT LAST!

YAY for Santa!

dancingsanta.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure out what to post here, but telling Sara she's awesome in a way that hasn't already been said is like trying to buy a gift for a billionaire.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    We are all SO proud of you Sara!!! Congrats again!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!