Sara’s First Powerlifting Competition (pics and vids)

Options

Replies

• 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am so glad to see a post such as this. I am 49 and fairly new to lifting. This is encouraging me to push that bit harder! Glad you included the vid links......was great to watch!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This is what I needed to see after having a rough day in the gym today. Thank you *SO* much for sharing and being such an inspiration. You're officially my new hero. As if you weren't before. :P There's just not enough awesome on the Internets to convey how happy I am for you!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    bender-applause.gif
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations! An inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I grow up I wanna be like Sara. Also....Sara for Toronto Mayor.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I heart you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So much awesome.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Impressive as hell!!!! You are so inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In for complete and total awesome. :happy:
    ^^THIS!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, you rock!! You are super impressive!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your awesomeness!!! :drinker:
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    :love: :love: T R O P H I E S :love: :love:

OFFICIAL BAD@SS STATUS ACHIEVED!!

You Rock Sara! :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Sara. You constantly amaze me. And make me smile.

DwLQ5Q2.gif

^^ this.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have seen some of your other posts on the forums and have the utmost admiration for you. Your are one strong woman and I hope to be like you some day when it comes to weight lifting and strength. Awesome accomplishment today, congrats!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    So full of win. Congrats!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Holy **** those are some impressive lifts. You are amazing. Congrats! :drinker:
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was so excited for you the day of the comp, rooting you on from home, waiting expectantly for every update. I hope you know just how proud we all are of you, how much support you have behind you, and what an absolute inspiration you are. For your dedication and your knowledge and for how very human you are because even though so many of us look up to you, you are still so humble and still get nervous in the face of a challenge. But you are an effing rockstar! You may have had some bad lifts, may have been disappointed in yourself, but for your first meet, for all the nerves you had going in, look at what you accomplished! Anxiously awaiting the next one so I can cheer you on again.

tumblr_lfdq0vljKR1qbeg0no1_500.gif

tumblr_lua1jp2DjQ1qafrh6.gif

Thank you so much for your post. While I felt quite a bit of pressure, everyone on here's encouragement was fantastic and very motivating. My bad lifts were not only disappointing for me, but I felt like I let people down. However, the good lifts made me feel like I was justifying people's belief in me. A huge part me actually getting up the gumption and nerve to compete was all the people on MFP.

For that, and for giving me the tools and support to even start lifting, I owe MFP and it's members a huge sloppy kiss.

lmao...edited to fix an embarrassing typo. One little letter missed off a word can change the while meaning...

Oh, damn, why didn't I catch this... (frantically rereads in search of potential embarrassing typos)

As for the other part...

We are all our own toughest critics. Our expectations of ourselves - especially considering you said you were a competitive person, and don't I know all about that - are always highest. It's always good to set the bar high, to push ourselves to the top of our potential, so that we always strive for more, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that we would all be proud of you regardless. How many of us can say we conquered the nerves or excuses to even attempt something such as this? Let alone, BREAK THE RECORD, however "unimpressive" you might tout it to be. We all crap out sometimes, especially under pressure (or during a cut - oh, so valid excuse). But not all of us can say that we tried something as challenging and intimidating as this. You haven't let anything stand in your way, your weight, your age, your fear. That is what makes us proud of you, not the weight on the bar. You couldn't let us down. Well, unless you held out on the huge, sloppy kisses...

tumblr_ll6nf7icMh1qhct8go1_500.gif
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Being the kind, caring, and big hearted person that she is, Sara thought it best to "have a few bad lifts" if you know what I mean, so that the other ladies could feel like they "might have a chance" if you know what I mean.

So even though she does warmups with 125 on the bench, and she hits 235 on the squat for reps at lightning fast bar speed, she really did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I mean it wouldn't be very ladylike to show up at your first meet and run away with all the trophies and break all the records. How would those other poor ladies feel, having been powerlifting for several years, having some new woman on the block show up and run away with the show? So I say good for her for laying down, and letting everyone have a chance. *

*But when it was time to deadlift, she changed her mind.

You are just all kinds of awesome. Scary to think what numbers you'll be moving next year.

Truth.gif
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    very well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!