How big is a piece of cake?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am hoping someone can answer. This is something I would indeed like to know as well.

My wife and I usually bake from scratch. This usually ends up in a much higher quality and tastier product than mixes or buying anywhere accept higher end bakery. I will then just calculate the calories from the recipe. I have only recently been using the recipe feature of MFP.

However, when I have a yummy desert at a coffee house, restaurant, or bakery I really have no idea what the calorie count is. I often spend 5 to 10 minutes (my limit) trying to figure it out on the web with multiple searches. I then just take what looks like to be an average number. Then i also go back and "quick add" additional calories as an "eating out" tax with the assumption they always add extra sugar, fat, oils to make it tasty.

But that is not to accurate... it would be great to know what other people are doing.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    While I don't know the answer, I'm perfectly willing to answer another semi-related question.

The KIND of cake matters. I know this. Because you will see there are separate entries for "birthday cake," for example. And birthday cake definitely does not have the same amount of calories as regular, everyday cake. So don't make the same mistake I did.
    This brings up another important question. How big is a piece if it's already AFTER 8PM?

oh, well that's easy. It's 23% bigger after 8pm.

source:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    While I don't know the answer, I'm perfectly willing to answer another semi-related question.

The KIND of cake matters. I know this. Because you will see there are separate entries for "birthday cake," for example. And birthday cake definitely does not have the same amount of calories as regular, everyday cake. So don't make the same mistake I did.
    This brings up another important question. How big is a piece if it's already AFTER 8PM?

source:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10517-1380329099-13_zps9ea58794.gif
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone has to be so mean.
    We are all here for the same reasons.
    We are all different. What works for one may not work for another.
    I know my body. You don't know my body. But I know this is how my body works.

did I miss any?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

did I miss any?
    tell us more about how your body works.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    How big is the cake? LOL

Seriously, you have to do better than that. Either check the recipe of a scratch cake, add all ingredients and then make a finite number of slices , use the box mix amounts, or either measure by inches or weigh it. You have to do some work to figure some of these.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

did I miss any?

tumblr_m7a408e8yx1qm2bs4.gif
  • omnomnomicon
    Options
    An American standard cake slice is 1/8th of the cake.
    In European slicing that converts to 0.13672 cakes.
    GO METRIC!

That said, the standard cake slice is indeed 1/8, but many packages say the serving size is 1/12.

Google "slice of cake nutritional information" and google will pop up on the right with a description of what cake is, as well as a drop down menu that provides a generic calorie count for cakes. For example:

Nutrition Facts
    Chocolate cake, with frosting
    Amount Per 1 piece (1/8 of 18 oz cake) (64 g)
    Calories 249
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 13 g 20%
    Saturated fat 3.8 g 19%
    Polyunsaturated fat 3 g
    Monounsaturated fat 4.7 g
    Trans fat 0.8 g
    Cholesterol 14 mg 4%
    Sodium 223 mg 9%
    Potassium 173 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 34 g 11%
    Dietary fiber 1.4 g 5%
    Sugar 26 g
    Protein 2.2 g 4%
    Caffeine 4 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 11%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 5%

Note, it did also have the calorie info for 1/12. I listed the 1/8th as it is often the standard amount people actually eat.

That said, keep in mind that recipes can vary wildly. The most accurate way to figure it out if you bought it somewhere is to look on the sellers website for nutritional info.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Serious answer: I think when you are doing MFP over the long term you are going to have to find ways to fit estimates into your logging.

Log it the best you can and move on.

If you make at home log it by recipe and and have one slice as 1/8 if you have said recipe makes 8 servings.

If you buy a package cake scan it and work out the fraction that your slice is.

If you buy a cake in a cafe or have some cake at a party, and it seems an average size slice, look in data base for chocolate cake or carrot cake or whatever and take an average reading and go with that. Yes it's an estimate but it's the best you can do and MFP doesn't need absolutely accurate numbers to work.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

did I miss any?
    tell us more about how your body works.

80976-Amy-Poehler-Tina-Fey-popcorn-g-2gem.gif
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    This is taking the fun out of cake, better switch to icecream, easier to measure lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

did I miss any?

Something about stroking something.....wait..,that's not quite right....

...oh, I have it...stoking your furnace.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Me wants me cake :heart: :love:

tumblr_m59isjUPxD1r49qb1.gif
  • nofearbebravelive
    Options
    well, I know it's NOT 3.14 because that's the measurement used for pie.
  • healthlagom
    Options
    tricky one. Calories r dependent on cake tin size, depth, shape, etc. for a 'regular' sized cake, i'd say no more than 1/8th of the whole cake.

tumblr_mp5u9lAtmC1rp552co1_r1_500.jpg
    nom nom
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

source:
    So does that mean it has 81% as many calories per gram?
  • healthlagom
    Options

so confused. it's like a trolling inception. brain can't deal.

source:
    So does that mean it has 81% as many calories per gram?

so confused. it's like a trolling inception. brain can't deal.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Well at least someone is willing to answer my question and support my journey.

Wait, what was the answer?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Me wants me cake :heart: :love:

tumblr_m59isjUPxD1r49qb1.gif

C7RkWOT_zpsf2597949.gif
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just remember. Only a Mr. Bungle takes the biggest piece of cake