How big is a piece of cake?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    How big is the cake? LOL

Seriously, you have to do better than that. Either check the recipe of a scratch cake, add all ingredients and then make a finite number of slices , use the box mix amounts, or either measure by inches or weigh it. You have to do some work to figure some of these.
    I didn't ask how many calories were in the cake I ate. I asked why there are so many "1 piece" entries in the database when a piece is not any sort of standard of measurement.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    While I don't know the answer, I'm perfectly willing to answer another semi-related question.

The KIND of cake matters. I know this. Because you will see there are separate entries for "birthday cake," for example. And birthday cake definitely does not have the same amount of calories as regular, everyday cake. So don't make the same mistake I did.
    This brings up another important question. How big is a piece if it's already AFTER 8PM?

oh, well that's easy. It's 23% bigger after 8pm.

source:
    So does that mean it has 81% as many calories per gram?

yup
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    While I don't know the answer, I'm perfectly willing to answer another semi-related question.

The KIND of cake matters. I know this. Because you will see there are separate entries for "birthday cake," for example. And birthday cake definitely does not have the same amount of calories as regular, everyday cake. So don't make the same mistake I did.
    This brings up another important question. How big is a piece if it's already AFTER 8PM?

oh, well that's easy. It's 23% bigger after 8pm.

source:
    So does that mean it has 81% as many calories per gram?

yup
    Well at least we know how much it is, relative to some arbitrary unknown number.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In my world it's about half the cake. That's just my take.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP that database entries that state "One serving" or the like can be frustrating.

But for the sake of answering the question I submit this rule: A 'piece' of cake is a section large enough that it can stand upright without falling over while you carry the plate it is on into the next room.

:laugh:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This big:
    mug+cake.jpg

Not this big:
    il_570xN.357947372_i1pd_large.jpg
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    3u6ynx.jpg

LMAO can relate!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    An American standard cake slice is 1/8th of the cake.
    In European slicing that converts to 0.13672 cakes.
    GO METRIC!

1/8 = 0.125

If 1 European slice is 0.13672 cakes, then the cake is being sliced into 7.3142 slices.......
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    GO METRIC!

1/8 = 0.125

If 1 European slice is 0.13672 cakes, then the cake is being sliced into 7.3142 slices.......
    And I suppose you're all fancy and cut your cake into a whole number of slices?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Half the cake. Do you even fat?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Whats with the thousands of cake entries in the database that are measured by "1 slice" with no weights?

I would suggest that if your cake is in pieces, it is broken and should be sent to me for defective cake disposal.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Whats with the thousands of cake entries in the database that are measured by "1 slice" with no weights?

I would suggest that if your cake is in pieces, it is broken and should be sent to me for defective cake disposal.
    Ok, I'll stuff it into a Priority Mail flat rate envelope, just need a shipping address.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ok, I'll stuff it into a Priority Mail flat rate envelope, just need a shipping address.

Nutmegoreo
    123 Nutty Rd
    Oreo City, Canada

Thanks I will eagerly await it's arrival, fork ready!:wink:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    GO METRIC!

1/8 = 0.125

1/8 = 0.125 US units.

SI units are a completely different ball of wax.

Did you know that there is a slice of cake made out of gold in Stockholm that they keep under a glass dome that is the official "SI Slice of Cake" ? And don't even ask what happens once you're past 1 mile above sea level.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    well, I know it's NOT 3.14 because that's the measurement used for pie.

**snort**
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lol. Y'all crack me up.

I love the vague "1 piece" entries because then I can have a large piece and it still logs the same :p. I think a standard piece would be a 2.5" cube.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't know... Honestly, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that some of the bigger chain cake sellers around here do supply information about the natritional valies of their products per 100 g. That's really great, but they never say how much one cake actually weighs. With this making it impossible to determine how much a piece is in those cases you don't have the whole cake available for weighing. :noway:
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    well, I know it's NOT 3.14 because that's the measurement used for pie.

zing! lol
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    amazing-cakes-33.jpg

Perhaps the correct measurement is hiding in the "chicken" entries.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Not big enough.

Ah, every man's nightmare.