Swimming laps at the gym, ladies opinion only...

Options

Replies

• lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    as someone who swims laps at my gym pool....do us a favor and don't.wear.speedos.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this with my mouth hanging open in shock. Any guy who is a serious swimmer wears speedos here--good bod or not. I swim 4 times a week in Rome--Italy. When a guy with baggy shorts gets in the lane with me I cringe because I figure he doesn't know how to swim very well, and hogs the lane. You guys have everything turned around. Baggy swim shorts belong on the beach. They look so yucky sticking to legs when wet. My husband has always worn speedos and he's a great swimmer. Here, speedos are the norm and no one thinks they're "gross".
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    No. Never. Ever. Ever. On anyone. I don't care if you have an 8 pack. No. Never.

Board shorts all the way.

Board shorts are awful for swimming laps in, especially if you are trying to do breast stroke.

Plus I don't get the whole board short thing anyway. Why do Men's shorts have to be so damn long and baggy? I guess I grew up wearing shorts that were, well short. None of this down to your knee ugly nonsense.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    No. Never. Ever. Ever. On anyone. I don't care if you have an 8 pack. No. Never.

Board shorts all the way.

good lord, have you ever tried to swim laps wearing board shorts? they are a hindrance. especially of anyone is trying to do proper strokes.

If you are comfortable in speedos then wear them for your exercise. I think that where people don't care to wear them is at a public pool or beach where you are for leisure. If you want something form fitting but not cut short, you can find suits that are like those old spandex cyclist shorts.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I may be the minority with how I tend to view bodies, but a body is just a body. There's nothing particularly sexual, gross, weird, or disturbing about them if they're just going about normal things like swimming. There could be naked people at a pool and it wouldn't make a difference to me, because really, we all know what's under the swimsuits anyway. The parts don't disappear just because you cover them up.

Nice thought I say who cares. There to work out if I want to wear a bikini in all my 300lbs of fleshy glory then by God I will.
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    Bump
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    So I've read some women don't like men to wear speedos.

I've started wearing a speedo to swim laps at the gym. I don't have a six pack but I at least have 4, and some hints of V lines...

What do you think of men, at least in pretty good shape(not fat ones..) wearing speedos at the gym pool?
    Bump
    Now your profile says you're female..?
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    Messed up my setting when I registered...
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Gotcha, because that confused me a bit. Never heard of gyms allowing topless women o.o
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    former college swimmer, current triathlete. i swim in these, because i don't like people knowing that my junk has sideburns.

041913184727_Karen_zps31674879.jpg
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I particularly like them (I don't, no matter how great your body is)

However, I'm neutral about them. I think they're appropriate for swimming and if you want to wear them, go ahead no matter what you look like. If you have a great body then that's more to admire but it's not the speedos that does it.
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How about if everyone minds their own business about what other people wear at the gym, as long as it's not their birthday suit :)
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    Interesting
  • 2Heavy2Long
    2Heavy2Long Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Messed up my setting when I registered...

Here is a crazy idea. FIX iT!
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Santa says don't.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    tI7lRhN.gif

This pretty much sums up my feelings about men in speedos, unless they are swimming competitively.
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about men in speedos, unless they are swimming competitively.

& serious competitors will not swim in speedos, they swim in Jammers.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You can wear baggy trunks or board shorts to work out. That's just silly. Either rock the speedo and who cares what ladies think, or you could get some of those long speedos they wear at the Olympics. Those are hot.

Heck yeah, those long tight ones that remind me of bike shorts are just fine. Plus, they leave a little something to the imagination...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Here in Australia, the Speedo (or budgie smugglers, as we prefer to call them) is pretty much a national icon. Certainly to be worn when swimming laps......can you imagine trying to do something athletic in water with acres of fabric flapping around your legs? I really don't understand all the Speedo-hate out there. On any body shape, just wear what makes you feel comfortable and helps you achieve your goal. If you look good in them, thankyou, and if you don't....well, that's none of my business and good on you for getting out and exercising.
    To Speedo, or not to Speedo? Certainly a first-world problem

^^^^^ this (except I'm not Australian, but in Britain they've been around for years too, and LOL @ budgie smuggler :drinker: I love those kinds of creative Aussie expressions)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ladies--think if you had to swim laps with a skirt sewn on your suit down to your knees. Give the guys a break.