Anyone else not like Thanksgiving food?

Options
124»

Replies

• sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love Thanksgiving food! Juicy turkey, , creamy mashed potatoes, sausage and cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, more green bean casserole. Did I mention green bean casserole?
    green-bean-casserole_zpsc8156d7c.jpg

Oh my goodness that looks soooooooooooooo good!!
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of Turkey, never really have been. Usually it's just the four of us for Thanksgiving, so we've scaled WAY back and actually usually just roast a chicken in place of a Turkey (we don't need 16lb's of poultry for the four of us), have the usual fixings - mashed potato's, stuffing, a veggie, and a bread w/Apple Pie & Ice Cream for dessert. Appetizers are usually Deviled Eggs and whatever's lying around the house, it's a lazy day for all of us.

This year though we're hosting (2) Marines fresh out of Boot Camp from a near-by base (training base for LeJeune, don't remember the name of it) - so we're going a bit more traditional this year for those guys - a Turkey, some additional apps and maybe a pumpkin pie for them (with an Apple for us).

Leftover pies will be brought to work for consumption!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I might not like every single dish served at a Thanksgiving meal, but I like turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and a few other things. Thanksgiving is a pretty good holiday.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I actually love pretty much everything Thanksgivng-wise, but my family's traditional Christmas ham dinner is another story. Growing up, my Christmas dinner would be rolls and green peas, literally. Grandma would also make scalloped potatoes, ham, etc., both of which I hate. It's nice to be a grown up and be able to make my own Christmas dinner!!!

Oh, I forgot one TG food I don't like that my Southern side of the family makes- cornbread stuffing with hardboiled eggs in it- BARF.
  • Lunarbeanie
    Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Me! Turkey, meh, mashed potatoes, meh, mashed anything, meh, turnips, meh.

I like a few bites of pumpkin pie, but *meh*
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't like that green bean casserole that everyone always seems to rave about, candied sweet potatoes, my mother's squished up glob of soggy bread that was used to stuff the turkey, that marshmallow/mashed sweet potato casserole and dark meat from the turkey.

However, I DO like the white meat from the turkey, butterflake rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, Stovetop Stuffing, plain steamed veggies, jellied cranberry sauce, and pies (pumpkin, apple, cranberry etc.)

Ideally, the only thing really necessary for a good Thanksgiving dinner is to be able to spend it with family and/or friends, no matter what it is you eat! Nobody says the whole turkey dinner thing is mandatory, nor is it as traditional as merchandisers would have you believe!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I :heart: ALL Thanksgiving food!!! :drinker:

But i will have it in moderation!!! :bigsmile:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really like at Thanksgiving is the mashed potatoes. My grandmother used to make a homemade lasagna for those of us who didn't like the typical Thanksgiving food. I won't be around family this year so I won't be eating anything special on that day. Yay for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I'd also say someone is screwing up the cooking if it only tastes mediocre...my cooking is the bomb.

^^^^ This! Also, Thanksgiving food doesn't have to be fat and sugar laden to taste good either, but I've never liked the marshmallows on my sweet potatoes.

living in New Mexico, we don't do the "candied yams"...we do our sweet potatoes with smokey, hot chipotle chiles. The sweet of the potatoes and heat of the chile combined with that smokey flavor is just awesome.

I roast the turkey on the grill and stuff the main cavity with a corn bread and chorizo stuffing and the small cavity with a more traditional Scottish sausage stuffing...that's stuff's awesome because you fold the skin down over it and it gets all crisped up...and then you carve our slices of turkey stuffing like you would slices of bread.

I make my own green bean casserole that starts with a scratch bechamel sauce and chanterelle mushrooms and fresh green beans...I also make my own crispy onions.

I also make my own cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries...none of that weird canned gelatinous stuff. I use a little maple syrup and a splash of fresh squeezed orange juice in there as well as some of the grated peel.

Olive oil and garlic roasted fingerling potatoes

Roasted brussels sprouts

and of course, pumpkin and apple pies for desert.

My **** is the bomb...I love T-giving and especially love treating my family and friends to a gourmet feast...
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    my hubby won't touch turkey anything (result of being in the hospital as a kid between Thanksgiving and Christmas) and my family did away witht he trukey years ago, after we were all tired of turkey as it we got a lot of it cheap. We've done any number of things in it's place - lasagna, chicken parmesean, king crab legs, red bead & rice, smoked ham and sides that go with the main dish. It all depends on what we feel like. I'm leaning towards my stuffed chicken parmesean this year, but we really haven't discussed it either.

I won't touch green bean casserole or anything with sweet potatoes ever. give me plain green beans and regular white or yellow potatos
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    The only thing I like is pumpkin pie. Not a fan of turkey, I don't like mashed anything, hate any type of disgusting gravy & don't get me started on cranberry whatever that is.
  • NataliaLueck
    NataliaLueck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, and the fact that I've kept a vegan diet for 2 years now alienates me from many get togethers. However, food has never been my life, so I don't dwell on it. I just enjoy the company. I give thanks on a daily basis for the beautiful planet we all live on and all the plants and animals we share it with ;-)
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    When it comes to eating Thanksgiving dinner, I will eat only a few nibbles of turkey, a few bites of potatoes, but will pig out on the veggie/fruit trays and cranberry sauce until the cows come homes. And if there happens to be a pecan pie around, I will help myself to that.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Also, I know a bunch of people around here have some really ****ed up issues with food...but traditional T-giving foods are in no way "unhealthy"....it's just your jacked *kitten* perception of ****.

I have no issue with the healthiness (or unhealthiness) of the food. Just the taste. Most T-giving foods are mediocre-tasting at best.

Do you have a bunch of bad cooks in your family?

Personally I like yam, cranberry, and pie, LOL! Green bean casserole too because my Grandma does magic to that.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Oh man you guys are crazy! Deep fried turkey, deviled eggs, stuffing, bread, yams, green bean casserole, etc. I love it all!

Honestly though, I never get too excited about the pie, but I still eat some anyway :blushing: