Advice for a new vegan?

Options
123457»

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I went from eating meat to veggie to vegan then back to eating meat.

EDIT: I was going to post 'what a vegan thread and Rocbola hasn't posted yet' but he did just up the page :(
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I think I have to respectfully disagree with the bolded bullet point here - I think that "waffling" vegans who stick to their values based on convenience wind up causing a lot of confusion to those doing their best to meet the needs of vegan friends and family. If someone witnesses someone who refers to themselves as vegan eat a veggie burger patty made with cheddar cheese, they may put dairy products in a dish later on for their vegan friend visiting for dinner.

I feel that in 2013, not only are there extensive vegan options at restaurants, but it is also the responsibility of the vegan to plan for themselves - whether that's calling a restaurant ahead of time, making a vegan dish to share at a potluck, or always carrying an extra Larabar.

I'm not one for social labels, but they are important when it comes to meeting dietary needs - and not just veganism! Labels exist so that we can create understanding of different eating habits and dietary needs, whether that be vegan, halal, gluten free or Kosher. While we as vegans should strive to be good ambassadors at all times, we should not be made to feel self-conscious for doing what we think is right.

There are not extensive vegan options at resturants unless you are from a very vegan-friendly area. If you have travelled this will be plain obvious. Most cities have vegetarian & vegan resturants yes, Towns no, Those that cater to all diets tend to only have one or two vegetarian dishes on their menu. No vegan options unless specifically asked.

You are so wrapped up in remaining pure & conditioned to the restrictions of veganism from a social-meal viewpoint, That you actually don't see how negatively & absurd having to call a resturant in advance or carrying vegan-friendly foods so you can go without starving comes across to those who aren't vegan.
    It is the equivilant of how you view non-vegans who cannot imagine having a single meal that isn't composed of slabs of meat eggs or dairy, Or bodybuilder types who avoid social-meals or opt to bring their own food with them so they do not go overboard on their goals.

Not only is it dangerous, Leading to an ortherxic or guilt relationship with food (which many vegans seem to suffer from on some scale). But it turns away people who'd consider adapting this diet. In theory your method is obviously the more consistent practice from a personal matter, In experience my method is a far more embracing & less-conflictive approach amongst my peers. I've done both.

Yes, even if you can't do everything, it's better to eat animal-free some of the time rather than none of the time. But when it comes down to it, being vegan is a personal choice, and may require some planning some of the time.

I don't really think it's absurd to call a restaurant ahead of time to give the place adequate time to prepare for a dietary restriction, nor do I think it's too much to make sure you always have an extra Clif Bar in your bag, just in case you happen to not be able to find any "good" vegan options. Though I do have to say, I grew up in a relatively rural farm town, and still managed to find a garden salad on the menu when I went out to eat.

But maybe you do have a point - some of the time is definitely better than none of the time, I think it just becomes a difficulty when people begin to view cheese, eggs or even fish in some cases as acceptable vegan options.