i need to start from the VERY beginning

Options
jbug5j
jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
i have no routine. i have many tools but i dont use them. i do for a few days then get to thinking "whats the point this never worked before" or some bs like that. i NEED to start SOMETHING from the very beginning. small at first. very small. then work up to tired and sore. i need to develop a habbit. does anyone have any suggestions? ideas. ANYTHING!? im desperate.

Replies

• rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What do you LIKE to do?

If you don't want to do any of the thinking (and that's not an insult), then someone like Jillian Michaels would be good for you. She has the 30 day shred programs and she tells you exactly what to do.

Cindi Whitmarsh has some great programs as does Jessica Smith.

Body for Life is great, but you have to like to lift weights.

Billy Blanks has a great 30 day starter program.
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get that way when I work out alone. The biggest thing for me is finding a workout "buddy". That keeps me getting up in the morning and doing my workout, because someone is waiting for me. My hubby and kids don't make good workout partners for me, it's too easy to say, we'll do it tomorrow. Find a coworker, friend, neighbor, or even just another person at the gym to team up with. Good luck!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1138633-14-pounds-in-4-months-in-the-wrong-direction

Start logging your calories every day. Even if you don't feel like it. Even if you are over.

Drink more water.

#EatLess
    #MoveMore.

It's simple. Do that every day, and you will get there. Look within yourself, we can't help you, if you don't help yourself.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether you are talking about diet, exercise or both. If it's diet, I would highly recommend investing in a couple of sessions with a nutritionist. Have him or her help you figure out, using foods you like, what sort of day of eating works for you.

Beyond that, log your food every day. That shows you what works and what doesn't, to add up to the calorie goal that MFP has given you. Try to eat healthy, unprocessed foods, with plenty of vegetables and fruits. If there's one habit to develop, it's the daily logging of foods. It's too easy otherwise to pretend we're not eating all that much, or to fall away from the whole effort.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Are you at home now, or at work?

If you are at home, then put down the computer, go to your treadmill, get on it, and walk for five minutes at 3mph. Do it now please.

Not at home? Then either now (if possible) or at your next break, get up and walk around the interior or exterior of your building for five minutes.

Five minutes is not a lot. You can do it. Then, later, do another five minutes. Give yourself permission to do only five minutes at a time. It may not seem like you are doing much, but it is more energy than you would expend sitting at the computer lamenting your situation over the Internet.

Get up, get moving. Even just for five minutes. You will feel better. Keep this up for a few days. Then challenge yourself to do just a little bit more. Then build on that.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    werent u just whinning in another post that you were depressed and lazy and stopped your meds and would "do it later" ?

I belive the advice you got was to seek professional help?

I think that advice best applies. Fix the inside and the outside will follow.

no i was not whining. i was posting on a community site looking for help and support because this is hard. and i NEVER once said i was lazy. so thank you very much.
  • vrf19977
    Options
    What kind of "tools" do you have? Do you have any exercise equipment? One of my best investments was a good, quality recumbent bike. Like you, I find myself growing bored very quickly if I'm on a machine with nothing to occupy my brain. So I take my Kindle with me and I read or listen to music or watch a movie while I'm pedaling. It makes the time fly by, and before I know it, I'm done! Another favorite way to get exercise is to turn on Pandora, find an upbeat station (one of my faves is Bollywood Workout!) and just KEEP MOVING for 20 minutes. I don't do any fancy dance moves, I just do simple marching, side-steps, kicks, anything else that feels fun. The key is to stay moving! 20 minutes a day; that's my bottom-line minimum for exercise. I try to think of it like brushing my teeth; it's not an option, it's a must-do for my health. If you'd like to check out my weight loss blog (the good, bad, and ugly!) you can find it at www.vickyfountain.com :)
  • quamsi
    quamsi Posts: 13
    Options
    This is my third go. FIrst time I did weightwatchers and did okay but quickly got bored with it. Next time I did MFP and went hard-core from the beginning. I went low-carb, exercised hard and ate right. And gave up after a month. Too much for me. I crashed and gained back the weight plus 10 in a few months. I am back and taking it very slow. First item of business was to break the soda and fast food addiction, without stressing too much over exercise and other foods. 30 days soda-free now and NONE of the stress I had before. After another 30 days, I'll add in a little extra exercise. My end goal is the same as it was the other two times. But this time I am just taking baby steps. Sure, I'm eating my previously forbidden white bread and even snacking on junk here and there, but I'm mostly staying under my calorie goal. And just cutting soda from my body was a big health-step.

So, yeah. I think you can do it. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. :)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Step one: track everything you eat.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    This is my third go. FIrst time I did weightwatchers and did okay but quickly got bored with it. Next time I did MFP and went hard-core from the beginning. I went low-carb, exercised hard and ate right. And gave up after a month. Too much for me. I crashed and gained back the weight plus 10 in a few months. I am back and taking it very slow. First item of business was to break the soda and fast food addiction, without stressing too much over exercise and other foods. 30 days soda-free now and NONE of the stress I had before. After another 30 days, I'll add in a little extra exercise. My end goal is the same as it was the other two times. But this time I am just taking baby steps. Sure, I'm eating my previously forbidden white bread and even snacking on junk here and there, but I'm mostly staying under my calorie goal. And just cutting soda from my body was a big health-step.

i definately could start there. i did give up soda once. i went a whole year without it. lol i even had dreams about drinking soda i missed it so much. now i have a mountain dew almost every time i work ( i work at save a lot) i could stop getting those. :) good advice. :)
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

These are not the answers she's looking for.
  • jbug5j
    Options

These are not the answers she's looking for.

(dork moment)
    these aren't the droids you are looking for
  • likehemingway
    likehemingway Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    werent u just whinning in another post that you were depressed and lazy and stopped your meds and would "do it later" ?

I belive the advice you got was to seek professional help?

I think that advice best applies. Fix the inside and the outside will follow.

That was VERY rude. This girl is looking for help, not rudeness.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is diet so start there.
  • vrf19977
    Options

If you are at home, then put down the computer, go to your treadmill, get on it, and walk for five minutes at 3mph. Do it now please.

Not at home? Then either now (if possible) or at your next break, get up and walk around the interior or exterior of your building for five minutes.

Five minutes is not a lot. You can do it. Then, later, do another five minutes. Give yourself permission to do only five minutes at a time. It may not seem like you are doing much, but it is more energy than you would expend sitting at the computer lamenting your situation over the Internet.

Get up, get moving. Even just for five minutes. You will feel better. Keep this up for a few days. Then challenge yourself to do just a little bit more. Then build on that.

These are great points! Even though I ride my indoor bike every night, I'm still sitting on my butt most of the day at work. So anytime I go to the bathroom during the day, I do a quick set of marches, kicks, and hip twists in the bathroom. It only takes a minute or so, but it wakes up my muscles and feels great! Every little bit counts!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

i definately could start there. i did give up soda once. i went a whole year without it. lol i even had dreams about drinking soda i missed it so much. now i have a mountain dew almost every time i work ( i work at save a lot) i could stop getting those. :) good advice. :)

One healthy decision at a time.....baby steps, trying to change everything at once is overwhelming.

Re: exercise. Add something simple. My "no brainer" exercise is Leslie Sansone Walk at Home..... low impact, doesn't require equipment or a bunch of space. I just pop in a DVD (from Wal-Mart, Target, etc) and move. If the weather is bad....I still have no excuse.

Here's a free You-Tube video by Jessica Smith (these are authorized)....but similar to Leslie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IH12Piuf4

Re: eating habits. Do you eat many veggies? I was someone who liked veggies, but rarely ate them! I added a serving of veggies everyday. Then I looked at breakfast. I ate sugary cereal.....I found whole grain (lower sugar) cereal that was much more filling.

Just make one change......then another, then another. THIS is what establishes habits.
  • jbug5j
    Options

done :flowerforyou:
  • nklp
    nklp Posts: 62 Member
    Options

What a nasty piece of work. Having depressing is different to being 'depressed and lazy'. It's a genuine illness and something which kills people. She's brilliant for having the courage to reach out to others for support and for joining a support group like MFP.
  • nklp
    nklp Posts: 62 Member
    Options

done :flowerforyou:

And now do another five!! You can do it!