Do you have a strategy for Thanksgiving yet?

Options
12346»

Replies

• fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My strategy was to cook at my house and have both my and my husband's family over. But that is not to be, so again we will be attending 2 full on Thanksgiving meals where I control only one or two side dishes. I will be way over on calories and uncomfortably stuffed, but I'll enjoy the food and time with family. I'll undo the damage later.

BUT, I must say that this:

"Stuffing Stuffed Onions (using a recipe. I figure I will eat less stuffing this way) "

Sounds completely wonderful and delicious to me. Can you share the recipe?

Here's the link for Stuffing-Stuffed Onions:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/stuffing-stuffed-onions-50400000131360/
  • Just_Maddy
    Just_Maddy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Doing an extra workout, eating a light breakfast and eating dessert first.

Newbie here :) Why are you eating dessert first?

because life is short. and dessert is fracking delicious.

Lol Good point! I was just curious 'cause I heard years ago that you should always eat your "sugars" first when a meal has a lot of courses, and I wanted to ask just in case there's a proper reason behind it or find out if it's just a bunch of broscience. You guys are teaching me a lot I think I need to relax and not try to be perfect all the freaking time :)
  • Just_Maddy
    Options

Except no protein I would die- but I might implement the "pie for breakfast" routine- which usually happens anyway LMAO

There are pies that can be made with lots of protein but most of them have a thin crust just at the bottom. I dunno if you guys are into a more traditional type of pie.
  • Just_Maddy
    Options
    my mom taught us to eat dessert first when we are working. She says you never know when you will get busy and if you only get to eat one thing.. make ti the one thing you really want to eat. Love my momma. She's full of awesome advice!

Lol :) Thank you that made me laugh. I need to relax I swear I really wanna succeed.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This year I'm going to try something different...I like to be and do things different than the crowd, so I'm going to TRY to drop a pound or more for my weekly weigh-in on Sundays--just because it's Thanksgiving and just because I can. I'm going to use these feasting holidays coming up to kick my butt in gear, instead of doing what most everyone will be doing and have fun doing it!

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to do the 5:2 IMF deal for the next couple of weeks. I'm going to eat 800-1,000 cals (instead of the 500 cals the diet recommends for two days--my two days being and Wednesdays and Saturdays) and eat above my normal daily cals--not fretting or worrying about Thanksgivings or the day after nor on the other 5 days of the week. I'm also to push my home daily goal 10,000 steps in 70 minutes (40 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on my full body stationary bike) to an extra 10-15 minutes on my treadmill and bike for 4 or 5 days that week and the week after...maybe for the next 6 months:laugh: :wink: :laugh: (NOT doing ANY strenuous exercising on my two "fasting days" but taking it easy) on my fasting days I'll do my Leslie Sansone 30 minute 2 mile Walk Strong dvd and/or do some outside walking for 45minutes to and hour or so--which is pretty easy for me. Also taking one day or two days for the week lifting some weight on my homegym for a few minutes.

What I'm NOT going to do is go crazy and eat like a pig on Thanksgiving either. I'm going to eat a bit of everything I like, just until I'm satisfied and NOT until I'm stuffed. I'm also going to forsake drinking anything but water for this time period as well.

As so many people have said, it's one/two days of feasting...which I'm not going to fret over, but on the same token...I'm NOT going to go all gluttonous either and will off-set these "feasting days" with two semi-fasting days. We'll see, that's my plan.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving has already come and gone in Canada but this is what I did: as much turkey as I wanted, lots of veggies, very minimal stuffing, bit of homemade cranberry sauce and no desserts! I even laid off the mashed potatoes which was a first for me
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast

Eating one plate FULL of everything I want for lunch (when we will be celebrating)

Supper will be one serving of Thanksgiving dessert

Will probably still be over with this, but hopefully it will contain the damage somewhat
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat more turkey and less carbs. I'll be tracking everything in MFP.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Work out. Eat. Sleep.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's one day...i didn't get fat because of a holiday, birthday, or other special OCCASION...I got fat because I treated everyday like a holiday and didn't move.

I will be enjoying the day. I'm not going to eat to the point of being sick, but I'm not going to worry about how many calories I'm eating and I'm not doing some random unplanned exercise either. I have a planned lifting session the day before and I have a planned long ride the Saturday after. Basically I'm going about business as usual.

Well said
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i started reading this thread and gave up..... too depressing. One day did not make us fat, one day will not make us fat - we will not 'undo all the good work'.....

We don't do Thanksgiving here in UK (obviously!) but I know that this Christmas I will enjoy my holiday, eat fine food, drink some fine wine, enjoy some snacks and love my family time without angsting over how many calories I am consuming that will spoil it all. Yes I will log it, yes I will be over, BUT AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT BECOME THE NORM, IT IS JUST ONE DAY!!!!!!!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My strategy for thanksgiving is to make my own dish and bring it with me. If i make something, i know it has no oil, animal products or refined grains in it.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yepp.

Baking a ton of cupcakes to bring to my mothers/boyfriend's house and also bringing a giant salad to both so i have something to eat.

Still eating healthy on Thanksgiving. It's gonna be treated as every other day for me.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    If I am not suffering for morning sickness too much to be able to eat that day, I am going to celebrate by eating whatever I want!
    If I gain some because of it, then at least my doctor will be happy I am gaining instead of losing finally.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    im going for a 9 mile run in the morning... then im going to eat and enjoy!!!!!
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    I have a nice portion of everything i plan on eating on Thanksgiving(turkey, sweet potatoes, pie, cookies, and all) prelogged into my diary right now, and i'm still at about 1000 calories- that just means i'll be able to eat another slice of pie at dinner, or a cinnamon roll for breakfast. :)
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Plans changed since I answered on another thread, we are going over to eat with some neighbors/friends. I'm making a couple dishes, but otherwise I'll have no idea what ingredients are in the others. I'll just have one plate, and dessert. I usually have two.. or three plates... and stuff myself silly. Oh and wine. must have wine. lol. I'm not terribly worried about one day, I just will not let it carry over into multiple days. My birthday is a week after as well. oye.