Are you planning on logging food on Thanksgiving?

I am not sure whether I should even bother or not because 1) I don't want to detract from family time by spending time looking up stuff and recording on MFP, and 2) I think if I start recording and realize I've gone over my calorie goal that I'll get discouraged and use having blown it already as an excuse to go even more overboard.

So maybe take the day off and just go by my hunger/satiety cues?

What are you all planning on doing?

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    I'm planning a "planned indulgence." I will pre-log a quick-added 3000 calories and then just enjoy my day. I do that every so often and it hasn't hurt me at all in the long run.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am Canadian so we already had ours and yes I logged it all. That was my plan all along.

Even the night before out having fun.

I knew that weekend if i stayed at maintenace or even just a bit over it wouldn't blow it totally for me.

I enjoyed the food (in moderation) and went over 2000 calories that one weekend...but guess what on Average (even after that) I am still consuming an average of 1600 (my goal) every day...

Logging doesn't take much time but you could always write it down and log it later.
  • I'm planning a "planned indulgence." I will pre-log a quick-added 3000 calories and then just enjoy my day. I do that every so often and it hasn't hurt me at all in the long run.

Exactly my plan too. Turkey day is all about food and family. Back to the daily routine on Friday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    No..I'm maintaining and haven't logged in awhile...but last year when I was losing I did not log it either. It is one day...one day doesn't make you or break you...you didn't get to the point of needing to lose weight because of one day or even a handful of holidays and special OCCASIONS. You got to this point because of what you were doing most of the time...which was probably treating every day like an occasion and not moving.

Your health, fitness, and weight are all matters of what you're doing the vast majority of the time...it's not about over indulging on an occasion or missing a workout here and there or whatever...it's about how you're livin' 90% of the time that matters.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    I'm planning a "planned indulgence." I will pre-log a quick-added 3000 calories and then just enjoy my day. I do that every so often and it hasn't hurt me at all in the long run.
    ^^^^^^^ This....can't imagine not eating well on an eating holiday! :)
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Yes and I'll be over on calories that day. And I'll cut back in the days before and after to adjust for it. Not a big deal.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Pre logging the day before and then just enjoying myself within reason. I'll probably go for a run that morning too
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    I'm canadian so Thanksgiving has already happened here :flowerforyou:

But anyways, on any holiday I quick log 7500 calories and enjoy EVRYTHING I can stuff in my belly and enjoy every single bite of it :blushing:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Another Canuck here. Didn't log precisely, just made sure to over-estimate after the fact. It only took a couple of minutes the next morning.
  • I will pre log. My MIL make the same meal every year, so I know what to expect.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Going to be tough as we're going to my in-laws for dinner. Just going to have to be careful of portions and guess the best I can. Fortunately the gym is open in the morning so I'll have a nice workout before the feast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    1) I don't want to detract from family time by spending time looking up stuff and recording on MFP

What are you all planning on doing?
    I will not log, for your reason quoted above. It's the same reason I stopped logging on weekends. I only play on MFP while I'm at work.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Sure, Yes I will. Why not?
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    I plan on completely blowing my plan out of the water on Thanksgiving! Over indulging once in awhile isn't going to do in my overall plans and goals.

Bring on the turkey, and stuffing! Load up the green bean casserole and biscuits! Don't even think about keeping the pie away from me that day! :drinker:
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Thanksgiving is also my 60th birthday. I'll start the day with two community runs, a 5 mile with my son and then a 5k with the whole family. After that I'll eat whatever I damn well please. But I'll still log it all. That way I will be "cheating" on my plan, but won't be lying about it.
  • I'm going to eat what i want. Not counting calories that day or the next! :)
  • i will log because i have been off track lately--can't afford another derailment.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Gym before - heavy on the cardio, then be a bad little piggy (but still eat plenty of brocolli during the feast, just so's the plumbing don't get clogged), then wake up from a diabetic coma, and hit the gym again on black Friday.
  • Will definitely log - I log partially for accountability and partially for tracking purposes, and the tracking is still valuable.

But if I come in at less than 3k calories I'll be sad :(
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I will probably log, with the understanding that I will go over. But, if I don't log, I'll go WAY over. I'll also get a run in that day (I'm scheduled to do a 4 mile run for my half training program anyway).