are you counting calories on thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, next question.

well we see why..but come on-its once a year!:sad:

1 day can totally destroy weeks of progress, plus there is a ripple affect, you cheat once on thanksgiving and I bet you will again soon after... Its not like most of us ended up "not in shape" by being extremely disciplined to begin with.. I bet this holiday brings alot of people that are headed in the right direction right back to their old lifestyle... IMO it just comes down to how bad do you want it??? I will log everything and hit my numbers...

Nope. Still logging everything and exceeding my numbers that day. Still won't significantly derail anything. A few thouscand calories over in a day is *at most* one pound. There is no reason why one day has to affect more than one day...that's where discipline comes into play. Why assume that just because *you* might lack the discipline to let that one day affect more than one day that everyone else does too?

Says the guy with 2lbs lost on his ticker but 10k posts telling everyone how it's done...

IMO one day can throw off more than that day and I am not talking just in lbs... There's the mental affect... There is the feeling like absolute **** the next day and then not hitting the gym... One day can destroy someone's routine...

It all comes down to what you want out of dieting... Some people diet cause they want to talk about it others and to fit in... Others do it because they want to improve their body... Sorry if I don't give the standard sugar coated MFP responses you guys are used too ..

Wait, so is Thanksgiving not a good opportunity to bulk?
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes, next question.

1 day can totally destroy weeks of progress, plus there is a ripple affect, you cheat once on thanksgiving and I bet you will again soon after... Its not like most of us ended up "not in shape" by being extremely disciplined to begin with.. I bet this holiday brings alot of people that are headed in the right direction right back to their old lifestyle... IMO it just comes down to how bad do you want it??? I will log everything and hit my numbers...

Nope. Still logging everything and exceeding my numbers that day. Still won't significantly derail anything. A few thouscand calories over in a day is *at most* one pound. There is no reason why one day has to affect more than one day...that's where discipline comes into play. Why assume that just because *you* might lack the discipline to let that one day affect more than one day that everyone else does too?

Says the guy with 2lbs lost on his ticker but 10k posts telling everyone how it's done...

IMO one day can throw off more than that day and I am not talking just in lbs... There's the mental affect... There is the feeling like absolute **** the next day and then not hitting the gym... One day can destroy someone's routine...

It all comes down to what you want out of dieting... Some people diet cause they want to talk about it others and to fit in... Others do it because they want to improve their body... Sorry if I don't give the standard sugar coated MFP responses you guys are used too ..

That's hilarious on so many levels!
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Why should I feel guilty on my favorite feast of the year. ;) No logging here. Enjoy multiple meals and wash it down with some good beer.
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I intend to log, but I might end up deciding not to, with all the hubbub and commotion... Either way, I'm going to aim for small portion sizes, but I'm not passing up my mom's delicious cornbread dressing or pecan pie.
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    Last year I logged it at around 6200 cals then I stopped counting but didn't stop eating LOL, so yeah this year no. May gain a pound or two but who cares.
  • worksoutforwine
    Options
    As for the mental effect,

You sure you don't mean mental "affect"????
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, next question.

LOL @ the bolded.

As for the mental effect, that's where discipline is involved. If *you* (or others) need not to relax even one day because you (and others) know you lack the discipline to keep it at one day, then absolutely, don't relax...but don't preach to those who *do* have the discipline not to let that happen...

...and yet you frame it as you having greater discipline.

And another LOL @ the apology for lack of sugar coating for me.

You keep referring to me as having a lack of discipline and I am the one who says I will log and hit my numbers on thanksgiving.... How is that a lack of discipline? I hit my numbers everyday through my wife's pregnancy, and cut 28lbs, is that a lack of discipline?

Obviously I have different goals than you do... But maybe the thread title should be changed to how can I justify eating like a pig next Thursday because it seems like that's what most are looking for in here....
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, next question.

Perhaps you should look again at his ticker, paying particular attention to the numbers on the bottom.
  • SeoulKim05
    SeoulKim05 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nope, just going to enjoy the day with family I may get in a workout that morning.

Even if I wanted to log it would be a huge guess because I am not doing the cooking and I would be estimating everyones recipe.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i waited 364 days for my mom's stuffing and by all means im gonna have it! plus, its just one day :) its not thanksgiving everyday! anyone else?

Why can you only eat her stuffing 1 day a year?

If its that good, id be eating your moms stuffing all the time! :wink:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, next question.

LOL @ the bolded.

As for the mental effect, that's where discipline is involved. If *you* (or others) need not to relax even one day because you (and others) know you lack the discipline to keep it at one day, then absolutely, don't relax...but don't preach to those who *do* have the discipline not to let that happen...

...and yet you frame it as you having greater discipline.

And another LOL @ the apology for lack of sugar coating for me.

You keep referring to me as having a lack of discipline and I am the one who says I will log and hit my numbers on thanksgiving.... How is that a lack of discipline? I hit my numbers everyday through my wife's pregnancy, and cut 28lbs, is that a lack of discipline?

Obviously I have different goals than you do... But maybe the thread title should be changed to how can I justify eating like a pig next Thursday because it seems like that's what most are looking for in here....

I'm glad you did a good job watching your calories during your wife's pregnancy, since, you know, her eating more must mean you're supposed to.
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to log, although I may give up at dinner time. I have been pushing pretty hard for the last couple of weeks to have some momentum going into the holidays, because I know I will go over on at least a few days.

Best of luck to all of you.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yes. Always. I have a small scale I take with me to family events and weigh and log my food as I serve myself. To me, logging my foods is just something I do in my daily routine. Just like I do my hair and my makeup before work, I log my food.

I will skip doing my hair and makeup on occasion, but just like my logging performance, I mostly do it every day.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    yes LOL :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't log when I don't have the luxury of having access to the nutrition information because any estimates will be far off anyway. I have absolutely no idea what it is I'll even be eating.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Nope.....
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Maybe, or maybe I'll just do about 3,000 quick add calories
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    i waited 364 days for my mom's stuffing and by all means im gonna have it! plus, its just one day :) its not thanksgiving everyday! anyone else?

Why can you only eat her stuffing 1 day a year?

If its that good, id be eating your moms stuffing all the time! :wink:

Giggity.