Achieved Goal, feeling dissappointed

Options
A couple of weeks ago I reached my goal weight....actually, I exceeded my goal weight by 2lbs. Yeah me! But after the initial HOORAY I found myself being more critical than ever. I adjusted my goal to lose more because all I see are the lumps and bumps that still remain. I guess I don't really have a question to ask, I just wish I could be satisfied with the positive changes to my body and not focus on the negative aspects, one being loose skin under my chin! Yuck! Maybe after 8 months of dieting I've become too obsessive about things.

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on achieving your weight loss goal! I understand that it is not uncommon for people to get this feeling of disappointment when they get to goal weight. Sometimes it is because they expect other aspects of their life to change as a result of the change on the scale. Evaluate the root cause of your disappointment (is it appearance and if so, why?) to determine if more weight loss is the answer, or perhaps more exercise (such as weight lifting). Sometimes disappointment is more related to the emotions that caused the weight gain in the first place. Whatever you decide, wishing you the best.

ETA: Unfortunately, loose skin is a fact of life as we age and/or lose weight. More weight loss won't solve it. :sad:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This happened to me as well. My goal weight was 140 and I ended up losing 10 more pounds because I was so overly critical of what I saw. I imagined myself to look a lot better then I did. Even at 130 I am still not completely happy with my weight.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I reached my goal though in May of 2013 (Lost 100 pounds was at 133.6) and then I loosened up my calories and gained 10 pounds back and have been struggling with losing since then. I weigh 141 now and am wanting to get in the range of 125-130 now.. I have loose skin and some fatty deposits in my abdomen (i had a c-section in November 2011 and contribute part of my saggy belly to that and having a baby in there for 41 weeks) but I have been doing my best to get some strength training whether it's weights or total body training. I guess you could make that your focus. Take measurements and see how many inches you can lose. I'm working on trying to get another inch off each thigh and a half inch off my waist and hips yet..
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! For some, it takes a REALLY long time for your eyes and your brain to adjust to the new you. I started maintance in February, so I am coming up on a year, and i am just now starting to see myself as others see me. What helped for me was weight training...it really does change the way your new skinny self looks. Much of the loose skin (not under my chin :mad:) seems to have been stretched back out by the muscle being built - especially on my thighs and bottom!

Good luck to you - and take your time getting used to how awesome you are!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You should probably start putting more emphasis on body composition/re-comp...dieting and cardio isn't going to cut it...you need to do resistance work. Most people eventually realize that dieting and cardio alone is not what is going to give them the body/physique they are looking for...that physique comes with resistance work...namely weight training.
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know how you feel as I went through the same thing. Just make sure you don't let it push you back into unhealthy living and it will pass.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I'm with Cwolfman, ask not how much lighter you can become, but how strong are you? How much stronger can you be?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You should probably start putting more emphasis on body composition/re-comp...dieting and cardio isn't going to cut it...you need to do resistance work. Most people eventually realize that dieting and cardio alone is not what is going to give them the body/physique they are looking for...that physique comes with resistance work...namely weight training.

This is what I'm thinking too. At this point, forget the scale since it's not making you happy. Work on changing the shape of your body now, not the weight of your body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

This is what I'm thinking too. At this point, forget the scale since it's not making you happy. Work on changing the shape of your body now, not the weight of your body.

As a matter of emphasis, I'm about 5 lbs heavier than I was when I hit my initial goal weight...but I've dropped 2% BF at the same time and about an inch around my waist...and my wedding ring needs to be re-sized again. That is the power of the bar and plates...
  • laurabrown66
    Options
    I am just starting out on this journey but I have already determined that I have to have weight training. In the last six months with the help of my trainer I have lost 3 inches in my hips and 2 in my waist and bust. I have only been actively doing the things that will help me to loose weight for three months so I have only lost 15 pounds. I work with my trainer 3 timex a week and do cardio for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. I am now wearing clothes I could not put on three months ago and I have to go shopping since my pants are falling off. I still have some loose skin from the 35 pounds I lost 3 years ago and I don't think any exercise will help your neck. However the loose belly is slowly getting firmer and my thinghs and but are getting very firm. Hate squats and core work but they are really paying off. That is the good thing about a trainer They keep you honest and they push you further than you will push yourself. I guess what I am trying to say is that if at the age of 67 I can firm my body I am sure if you persist you can do it. It won't happen overningh but if you just hang in there it will come. This is a wonderful site to get encouragement on.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support.

*sigh* weight training. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

1. I can't afford a gym membership right now.
    2. tiny little house, so no place to put a home gym
    3. the above two are my favorite excuses to use to deflect the fact that I don't like the idea of weight training! :wink:

I have 2lbs and 5lbs weights at home that I use irregularity...yes I know that won't cut it. I was thinking about Pilates or yoga in the new year.

I guess it's more about learning not to compare myself to other thinner people and learning to be happy with who I am...but is that settling? Should I always push myself? I agree, maybe I need to stop looking at the number now, I'll redo my measurements and I'll work at strengthening my core, and strengthening my mind.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    maybe switch the focus a bit. try some healthy exercise you have always wanted to be good at. for me, when i reach goal, i want to start ballet classes. : )
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    I am so glad that I read these post, has been an eye-opener. I lost 50+lbs last year, and have been trying to lose 10 more but it's been difficult. Since I joined MFP 10 days ago, I've been able to lose 2lbs so far...believe me, it's been far better than my previous efforts...I think this one will work. However, the part about the after-feelings...I am kinda relieved that others experience that...because I don't really like the dissatisfaction of myself. Although other people make such nice comments about how I currently look, I do not feel satisfied with my arms and thighs.
    I have to admit though, that my focus has only been on diet and cardio...I jog almost everyday for 45-60mins, and do Pilates once a week for 50mins. But I agree that to now shape my physique, there must be weight training. I definitely need to fit weight training into my schedule. Thanks guys!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support.

*sigh* weight training. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

1. I can't afford a gym membership right now.
    2. tiny little house, so no place to put a home gym
    3. the above two are my favorite excuses to use to deflect the fact that I don't like the idea of weight training! :wink:

I have 2lbs and 5lbs weights at home that I use irregularity...yes I know that won't cut it. I was thinking about Pilates or yoga in the new year.

I guess it's more about learning not to compare myself to other thinner people and learning to be happy with who I am...but is that settling? Should I always push myself? I agree, maybe I need to stop looking at the number now, I'll redo my measurements and I'll work at strengthening my core, and strengthening my mind.

Unfortunately - it is the only way. I WAS a cardio fiend (hate it but did it because I thought that is what I was supposed to do) and I did the "OMG can't eat over 1200 calories" .. biggest mistake ever and I gave up.

Now this time, I decided I will eat what I want and eat well. I began weight training. At first, I was in the "I don't have money to spend" mantra. I decided - too bad and if I wanted the body then I had to work for it. Personally, I bought my own equipment and repurposed my unused dining room into my gym. However, if you don't have room then you can do "You are your own gym" or Convict conditioning. Both of these use Bodyweight with fantastic results.

It is just a re-evaluation of your goals :wink:

ETA: I now do NO cardio and lift 3x a week.
  • emiy1988
    emiy1988 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You dont necessarily need a gym membership to have home a gym-- look up HIIT workouts you can do at home, these are most effective and you basically use your own body weight to do them. Moves like burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks done at a burst of 30 seconds each with no rest period (usually rest after 1 minute) for 20 minutes, REALLY does wonders for your body.

Also there are dozens of moves you can do with your free weights, weighted lunges, squats. Trust me, your body will look so much better if you stick to it! You can also look up TABATA moves-- posting a link below.

They all work, just have to commit to it!!

http://greatist.com/fitness/best-tabata-moves
  • elizamorales1287
    Options
    There are so many goals you can set! It's not all about weight. Have you tried strength training as part of your routine?! Watch how strong you can get in just a couple months!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    However, if you don't have room then you can do "You are your own gym" or Convict conditioning. Both of these use Bodyweight with fantastic results.

I've never heard of that, off to google I go!

My husband was laughing at me trying to do some basic moves, sit ups, push ups etc. in our livingroom (the only room with any space at all) and I was constantly banging something...including our low ceilings. And don't even get me started about my black lab that thinks anytime I'm on the floor means play time for her!
  • elizamorales1287
    Options
    Sorry, didn't see the other ones re. weight training. There's so much you can do at home with body weight. Try it out :) Lots online programs are free. Try Bodybuilding.com!
  • bella8363
    Options

One of the greatest things I have ever heard is comparison is the thief of happiness....so true.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You could set a new goal, not a weight loss goal, maybe a performance goal, like doing handstands or chin ups, a sporting event, learning a language, writing a book, keeping a journal, learning to dance.

When I realized that losing more weight made me look worse, not better, I was a little disappointed. On the other hand, maintaining your new weight is work too, and there are a lot of other ways to keep improving.