Achieved Goal, feeling dissappointed

Options

Replies

• TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I also cant afford a gym membership either right now. But I had great results with Jillian Michaels 30 days shred and it was super cheap like 10 dollars or around there. all you need is some floor space in front of a tv and 3-5 lb hand weights ( I used to weight train so I thought 3 lbs would be way to light but trust me it isnt!) lol great toning and definition. Right now I am trying Ripped in 30 also from Jillian Michaels and Brazilian But Lift that a friend is letting be borrow. HTH
  • mama2redhead
    mama2redhead Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sites to check out:
    Benderfitness.com
    Dailyhiit.com or bodyrock.tv
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I set my original goal weight to the higher range of my "healthy" BMI. The day I achieved it was very anti-climactic. I've since surpassed that weight by almost 10 pounds and changed my goal weight, but I thought I'd be happier on that day...instead, I thought "meh, I'm still heavy." I guess I don't have any advice for you other than I know how you feel...
  • PDReader
    PDReader Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The Y is cheap and has more weights than you will ever be able to afford at home.

PS, I wonder what it is that people think they are supposed to look like, anyway? When I was 20 years old, running 20 miles a week and in the best shape of my life, and right in the middle of healthy BMI, I got disgusted and quit because I was sick of adding up every tiny little bite, doing all this work I didn't like to do, and I still wasn't happy with how I looked. Now, looking back, I can see I looked just fine. I was too busy comparing myself to models in magazines who are all 6ft tall and 20 lbs medically underweight. Since giving up I have gained almost 100 lbs and now I know what "fat" really is.

These people who look like models and movie stars really do spend their entire life in the gym. I asked this absolutely BEAUTIFUL girl in the gym one day what she was doing and she said she works out 3 HOURS A DAY and had had plastic surgery. Who wants to live like that?
  • golden_sunshine14
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was 137 when I began a year ago, now I am 122. I thought that I would lose all of my stomach by now and be happy with who I am, but unfortunately I am not. Now, I am working on toning by doing 20 mins of cardio and the rest weights. Sure, you might have reached your goal weight but what were your expectations when you set that goal? If you know that deep down you tried your hardest, then you should be happy. Think of the accomplishment you have achieved! Losing weight is tough and you should be proud of yourself for doing that! Good luck!
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal. That is truly awesome. Body image is such a difficult topic and I think most people do themselves a great disservice. Changing focus to being healthy as opposed to looking a certain way or being a certain weight could help give you the satisfaction you desire. Otherwise I recommend Zumba as a really great way to tone those muscles, and it is fun too.

Oh, and maybe you need an awesome celebration to celebrate your success. That's what I am planning on...when I eventually get there. ;)
  • ryana2
    ryana2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I met my goal weight in February 2010 and I felt exactly the same way. I was overweight as young as 10 years old so I was pretty comfortable with being the big guy. I was 242 when I graduated from high school in 1992 and got as high as 318 over the next 16 years.

When I reached my goal I was expecting the AHA moment that didn't come...but I knew I had to keep working hard. I wasn't happy with the lumps and bumps and often commented to my wife that I still need to lose more. One day we were downtown having this conversation and she points out this guy walking across the street. I said, ya so what that guy is skinny...she says YOU LOOK JUST LIKE HIM! Stop being critical of yourself and be proud of your accomplishment. My point here is after 30 years of seeing myself a certain way it didn't change just because I lost weight. I am still amazed when I see pictures of myself next to other people I view as skinny and I still don't put myself in that category.

I have maintained for nearly 4 years and most of the trouble spots I had when I hit my goal are still there. I work out more now than I did while I was losing so I have come to the realization that this is it for me and have chosen to view them as a badge of honor for all the hard work it took. :wink:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support.

*sigh* weight training. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

1. I can't afford a gym membership right now.
    2. tiny little house, so no place to put a home gym
    3. the above two are my favorite excuses to use to deflect the fact that I don't like the idea of weight training! :wink:

I have 2lbs and 5lbs weights at home that I use irregularity...yes I know that won't cut it. I was thinking about Pilates or yoga in the new year.

Congratulations on hitting your goal!

You don't need a gym membership or a home gym.

Get on you tube and look up the Jillian Michaels' DVDs - Ripped in 30, 30 Day Shred etc.

I chucked the gym membership for these 20-30min work outs using only 5lb weights and my own body weight (hello push ups and planks) and I am looking far more toned than I ever did while going to the gym! And I work out with only 2m x 3m floor space.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Jillian Michael's yoga meltdown. It is kind of a power yoga that uses your body wight mixed in with power moves. It's great. Ripped in 30 has a lot of strength based moves as well and you only need a set of hand weights.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I reached my goal weight....actually, I exceeded my goal weight by 2lbs. Yeah me! But after the initial HOORAY I found myself being more critical than ever. I adjusted my goal to lose more because all I see are the lumps and bumps that still remain. I guess I don't really have a question to ask, I just wish I could be satisfied with the positive changes to my body and not focus on the negative aspects, one being loose skin under my chin! Yuck! Maybe after 8 months of dieting I've become too obsessive about things.

First off, always remember the wonderful progress you've made already. That is a good thing. Never forget that.

A challenge, especially in the "maintenance" world, is that our bodies are not machines. I don't think any of us will be able to look at the mirror, smile, and cheer "PERFECT!". Our bodies change. It's perfectly normal to reach your goal and say "you know what, I'd like to see what I can do to work on X area".

In many ways, our bodies are like houses or cars. While they may be great as they are, over time, you find parts that need to be maintained or could stand to be upgraded. It's not a strike against the house or car, it's just what happens as time moves on.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think once I'm in body composition mode, I'll do yoga. I like yoga because your own body is the "weight" you "lift". And you can do it almost anywhere. I just need to learn all the moves and whatnot.

I practice yoga for 5-10 hours a week as time permits. I've found that not only is my body looking--and feeling-- good, but my head space is better and I'm more focused and positive.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @LoriVaughan69,
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Your story and all the advice from others has reinforced my need to reevaluate my plans as I approach my WS goal.

Thank you all.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't go by weight anymore. I once dropped to 10lbs less then my goal weight of 200 lbs. I felt the same as you did. So I went and got dumb bells, and then I started lifting and gained 15 lbs back.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Get a kettlebell. There are plenty of free resources for working out with them online on youtube and at Fitness Blender. You can do most workouts in a 4'x8' space. If you can only get one at first, go a little heavier so you get more use out of it.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support.

*sigh* weight training. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

1. I can't afford a gym membership right now.
    2. tiny little house, so no place to put a home gym
    3.][b the above two are my favorite excuses to use to deflect the fact that I don't like the idea of weight training! [/b]:wink:

I have 2lbs and 5lbs weights at home that I use irregularity...yes I know that won't cut it. I was thinking about Pilates or yoga in the new year.

I guess it's more about learning not to compare myself to other thinner people and learning to be happy with who I am...but is that settling? Should I always push myself? I agree, maybe I need to stop looking at the number now, I'll redo my measurements and I'll work at strengthening my core, and strengthening my mind.

I'm not sure these have been mentioned, but:

Get a set of resistance bands for around $25. Look up You are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning.

I cannot stress to you enough how much strength training can help the look of your body as well as how you feel about it. While heavy lifting is probably the most efficient way, it's not the ONLY way. Just because it's not an option for you right now doesn't mean that you can't still strength train.

Sorry, not letting you off the hook. :flowerforyou:

ETA: reading back I can see that Mr. Wolf already told you this. He's right, I'm right, go strength train.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    oh, the floppy chin/neck, I hear you! (although I sure don't see it in your profile pic!)

I'm excellent at Photoshop!
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! For some, it takes a REALLY long time for your eyes and your brain to adjust to the new you. I started maintance in February, so I am coming up on a year, and i am just now starting to see myself as others see me. What helped for me was weight training...it really does change the way your new skinny self looks. Much of the loose skin (not under my chin :mad:) seems to have been stretched back out by the muscle being built - especially on my thighs and bottom!

Good luck to you - and take your time getting used to how awesome you are!

thank you for this!
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    For me, dropping the weight was easy. It's the mental junk that takes forever to clear.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every response to this thread, so maybe someone has said this before...

It's become apparent to me that the things we see on our own bodies that we don't like, are things 99% of other people don't even notice. We are too critical of ourselves. So if it's about your image and how you think others see you, it's likely that others do not see the "bad" things you do. They just see a beautiful person who's reached their goal weight. I've been around enough to know that most women spend too much time worrying about things no one else notices.

Another thing... some lumps and jiggles won't go away (at least without surgery). Some things are always going to be there. Sorry if that is disappointing. If it's a baby pooch or tricep jiggle, it may be there to stay. But you are so much better off than you were before you started on your journey. I hope you celebrate yourself and what you see in the mirror.