Share your dieting 'staple foods'?

what foods to you eat everyday and consider your dieting staples?

for example, many cultures might consider rice a staple and base most main meals around it?

for me, bananas, hot chocolate and fat free yoghurt are my staples. must have bananas everyday - easy to carry, cheap and filling. hot choc - staves off sugar cravings. fat free yoghurt - filling and easy to carry around.

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member

for example, many cultures might consider rice a staple and base most main meals around it?

for me, bananas, hot chocolate and fat free yoghurt are my staples. must have bananas everyday - easy to carry, cheap and filling. hot choc - staves off sugar cravings. fat free yoghurt - filling and easy to carry around.

I eat whatever I feel like, provided I stay within my calories.

Big breakfast 2-3 days per week, nice big sandwich at lunch, curry/pasta for dinner and a glass of wine. All home made so I can control what goes in it.
  • hulamama808
    hulamama808 Posts: 498 Member
    My staple snacks: cutie oranges, string cheese, raw almonds, apples. I usually have an emergency bar in my purse too... fiber one bars and granola bars help me if I really need something STAT. :)
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Fish, eggs, fruits and veggies, and most importantly, a PLAN! I always have a protein bar with me just in case something happens and I can't eat my planned meal. I love incorporating low calorie, high nutrition, high volume foods into my plan.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Mason jar salads. Just google for ideas if you want to do this, they are all over Pinterest. But I love them, because I can make five salads on Sunday night--often with the leftovers of whatever big meal I experimented with over the weekend, plus some veggies and a ton of spinach--and then lunch is made for the week. HUGE fresh salads, precalculated and entered and requiring no time investment. I've got about three coworkers doing it now too.

Rice. Brown, black, or wild.

Roasted vegetables.

Those green giant broccoli and fake cheese packs. So wrong but oh so right.

I don't think of this as a staple, but English muffins and cream cheese. Looking at my diary, you'd think I love them, but really I am just not good at cooking breakfast ahead of time like I do my other weekday meals. I didn't use to eat much in the morning, but I find now that I am cranky at work if I don't, especially now that I wake up early to work out. And my office has English muffins, bread, bagels, etc. on hand for us at a reasonable fee, plus free cream cheese in individual packets. No measuring needed! So I do tend to have that pretty often.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, frozen veggies, protein bars and frozen grilled chicken breasts here.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    From McDonald's: Egg White Delight McMuffin.

From Taco Bell: Chicken Soft Tacos, Fresco Style.

From Wendy's: Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, Small Chili, 4-Piece Spicy Chicken Nuggets.

Other: Progresso soups, 100-Calorie Microwave Popcorn, Safeway prepared salads.
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Oikos Greek yogurt
    lots and lots of frozen veggies on hand at all times, I always supplement everything I eat with this
    fresh fruit on hand at all times
    Ice cream! LOL for my sweet tooth. Usually no more than 140 cals a serving (Breyer's Blasts are a current addiction)
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    -eggs and egg whites
    - quest bars
    - asparagus
    - boneless chicken breasts
    - arugula
    - fage greek yogurt
    - quinoa
    - popcorn

also: chocolate and red wine
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    eggs,almonds,avocado,chicken.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Kind bars, eggs, canadian bacon, baby spinach, grassfed beef, popcorn, cottage cheese, salmon (that can go straight from freezer to oven), canned tuna and salmon, pork tenderloin, berries of all kinds, protein shakes, wholly guacamole minis.
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Greek yogurt, raw almonds, chicken, string cheese, cottage cheese, apple, carrots. And beer, not everyday but ya know.....
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Cherry tomatoes! They're delicious and actually filling? They're the best snack ever and can make up half a meal if you eat enough of them. Same with sliced green or red peppers. The crunch of them is wonderful and replicates whatever chips do for me.

Also, fat-free Greek yogurt. Its density naturally keeps me from eating too much, and it pairs really well with some fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast or a snack.

Plain popcorn (a little salt on top is good), rice cakes (a little cinnamon or salt on top).

A lot of people saying almonds or avocados... I cannot control myself with almonds and inevitably eat avocados whole....
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    I guess my staples would be whole grains. I eat a very hearty breakfast which consists of whole grains, seeds, nuts and fruit. For lunch I usually have a sandwich and dinner I really try for veggies and grains.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Lollipops and gum. They occupy my mouth for a good 15, 20 minutes for a negligible amount of calories. They've helped me a lot with my "bored eating" habit.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Staples for me are Pork Tenderloin and Chicken Breasts. Of course, I eat lots of other things, but these are my staples. I am very busy; work for one ambulance service, one fire department, teach at the local community college and work a homecare job. I also have a very active 3 year old granddaughter that keeps me running in my off-time. I run 7 miles a day, 3.5 miles each for two runs...anyway.... Once a month, or so, I take a couple days and cook FOR THE MONTH. I do Pork one day and chicken the next and then portion out into 5 (pork) or 6 (chicken) ounce portions and stock my freezer. (I don't really cook for 2 days, the pork tenderloins or chicken breasts go into the crockpot! :bigsmile:) The night before I just pull out the portions for the next day. As they are pre-cooked I can eat them cold in salads and wraps, or heat up with other ingredients; everything from stir-fry to soup. Makes life so much easier!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

I don't have dieting staples because I don't believe in dieting.

I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie allowance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Rice. Egg noodles. Tuna. Extra lean ground beef. Hot sauce. Salsa. Fat free yoghurt. Chocolate milk. Granola. Bananas.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I don't have dieting staples because I don't believe in dieting.

You're on a calorie-counting website - you're dieting.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Banana, Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt and coffee with 1% milk. Get's my day going.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    eggs, fresh berries, ground turkey, chicken thighs, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, smoked salmon, avocadoes, greek yogurt.

i pretty much buy those every trip to the grocery store

i also drink a lot of tea.

also a diet means your usual food and drink, it's not necessarily supposed to mean something that's calorie restrictive. if that were the case then how would nature shows talk about the diet of whatever animal they are researching? :laugh: