Share your dieting 'staple foods'?

Options

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a diet because I don't restrict any foods, just eat less of them.

Staples that I eat almost every day are:

Carrot chips with Greek yogurt dill dip
    Pretzels with hummus
    Plain Greek yogurt with frozen berries
    English muffin with peanut butter or almond butter
    Granny Smith apples
    Veggie burgers with no bun and a tbsp of the Greek yogurt dill dip
    Roasted asparagus
    Butternut and acorn squash - I make a soup out of them that I serve with an ounce of goat cheese. To DIE for. I ate it almost every day this week. ~280 cals including the goat cheese.
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey
    Almond butter
    Oats
    Greek yogurt with fruit
    Almond milk
    Whole wheat pasta

And the occasional piece of chocolate so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats
    almond milk
    frozen cherries
    protein powder
    clif bars
    chia seeds
    walnuts
    frozen green beans
    edamame
    red and yellow peppers
    tempeh
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My kitchen is ALWAYS stocked with:
    Greek Yogurt
    Fresh Fruit (berries, bananas, clementines, pomegranates)
    Eggs and egg whites
    Frozen peaches, mango chunks
    Crimini and Portobello mushrooms
    Asparagus
    Bell peppers
    Zucchini or Spaghetti squash
    Sweet potatoes
    Almonds/Walnuts
    PB2, Vega and Optimum Nutrition whey powders
    Lean turkey breast
    Tilapia or similar fish
    Quick rolled oats
    Multigrain flatbread with flax seeds
    Unsweetened almond milk
    Avocados
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't have dieting staples because I don't believe in dieting.

You're on a calorie-counting website - you're dieting.

No..

Dieting is the restriction of food, and I don't restrict the type of food I eat.

I will count calories for the rest of my life, even when I reach maintenance, because I don't want to gain back the weight I've lost. Does that mean I'm on a diet forever? :wink:

The fact that you are counting calories and tracking macros means that by definition you are restricting the type of food you eat.

You are on a diet, just like pretty much everybody else here.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats( I love oatmeal), eggs, milk, fage 2% greek yogurt, green tea, chicken thighs, assorted frozen veggies, assorted fresh fruit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Whole grains (brown rice, ezekiel tortillas, ezekiel bread, steel cut oats, cereal), leafy vegetables, cruciferous vegetables, root vegetables, peanut butter, lean meats, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, milk, greek yogurt, nuts, fruits, protein bars, low sugar snack bars, chile sauce, salsa, green chile.
    and then:
    Wine, no sugar added ice cream, tortilla chips

and then sometimes:
    dark chocolate
    sugar free Reeses

Been eating roughly the same thing (making actual meals out of them) for about 12 years now.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Usually I have corn, spaghetti sauce, ranch dressing, pasta, oatmeal, fruit, protein bars.. Easy things that can be combined and mixed up together easily.

Also things that are cheap. I like cheap things that are available in bulk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

No..

Dieting is the restriction of food, and I don't restrict the type of food I eat.

I will count calories for the rest of my life, even when I reach maintenance, because I don't want to gain back the weight I've lost. Does that mean I'm on a diet forever? :wink:

The fact that you are counting calories and tracking macros means that by definition you are restricting the type of food you eat.

THIS. Dieting is restriction. Either calories, macros or foods....
    Anyone who counts or measures or otherwise limits is probably on a diet (even a weight gaining diet).
    We all HOPE what we learn by dieting becomes our lifestyle.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bananas, eggs, and apples. I might put brown rice on that list, too.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats
    whole grain high fiber flat bread
    almonds
    all natural PB
    eggs
    bananas
    apples
    kiwi
    strawberries
    raspberries
    blueberries
    broccoli
    mushrooms
    asparagus
    carrots
    garlic hummus
    chicken
    salmon
    brown rice
    greek yogurt
    low fat granola
    green tea
    cliff bars and luna bars (occasionally… too high cal/high carb)
    fiber one bars
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Salmon, tuna, Greek yogurt, apples, black rice, protein bars/shakes, bananas and green vegetables.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Beer, pizza, steak, melon, ice cream, veggies, pork chops
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

No..

THIS. Dieting is restriction. Either calories, macros or foods....
    Anyone who counts or measures or otherwise limits is probably on a diet (even a weight gaining diet).
    We all HOPE what we learn by dieting becomes our lifestyle.

This makes me laugh. ^^

Anyhow....

For me:
    *Both whole eggs and egg whites.
    *Mushrooms.
    *Spinach.
    *Onions and garlic!
    *Sriracha, sriracha, O how I love thee
    *Tuna in a packet (or smoked oysters, kippered snacks, etc) for quick protein on the go (in my backpack for work)
    *Protein bars for in a pinch (in my backpack for work)
    *Lentil and brown rice "burgers" (homemade)
    *Those sandwich "thins"
    *Coffee
    *Water
    *Chicken (usually boneless skinless breast, but not always)
    *Apples
    *Pizza
    *Shredded Parmesan, among various other cheeses - preferably more flavorful ones
    *Whiskey
    *Lots of spices and seasonings, which I don't usually log. I love spicy food!
    *Corn tortillas - only around 100 calories for two
    *Shredded hash browns - only 70 calories for a cup
    *My daughter's amazing little pumpkin mug cakes
    *Anything else Pumpkin
    *Jalapenos
    *Chinese food. Yes, all of it. Okay, maybe it isn't actually a staple, but I wish it was. I'm too cheap for that.
    *Sandwiches
    *Turkey pepperoni (I actually prefer it; Hormel, not Armour)
    *Cauliflower (yes, even for pizza crust. Don't judge.)
    *Whatever little calorie-moderate things work for me for breakfast sandwiches. I like different things for this - turkey sausage, prepared veggie sausage like Morningstar, etc, my lentil burgers. I'm going to make veggie sausages one of these days....I have all the stuff (still). No way in the world I'm fooling with bacon grease at 3:30 am and pork sausage uses more calories than I prefer for breakfast (not that I wouldn't eat either).

*And, as odd as this might sound, variety is a staple for me, too. I like different foods, I like cooking, although I don't do as much of it lately, and I like experimenting when I do. So if I didn't have a fair amount of variety, it would not be a good thing for me.

Fun thread. Then again, I love talking about food! lol Thanks!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a diet because I don't restrict any foods, just eat less of them.

This made me laugh.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    what foods to you eat everyday and consider your dieting staples?

for example, many cultures might consider rice a staple and base most main meals around it?

for me, bananas, hot chocolate and fat free yoghurt are my staples. must have bananas everyday - easy to carry, cheap and filling. hot choc - staves off sugar cravings. fat free yoghurt - filling and easy to carry around.

I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie allowance.

Calorie counting is a form of dieting ...

That would depend upon your perception. In my perception, dieting is restricting myself from eating certain kinds of foods and eating calories below what I know is healthy. I eat upwards of 2,000 calorie a day, and I eat whatever I want, which is not a diet.

I calorie count because I have a problem knowing when to stop eating in order to lose weight or maintain weight. My trainer told me years ago that eating well and logging calories in and out calories out is a way of life, my I didn't listen to him and eventually gained 33 pounds back.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No..

Well, no.....

I don't restrict the type of food I eat. The only foods that I don't eat are those which I am intolerant to. As for macros, I don't pay much attention to those.

My problem is not the type of food eat, it's not knowing when to stop eating. Just because a person tracks their calories in an effort to learn portion control does not point to dieting. As I said, I will log food and exercise for the rest of my life if that's what it takes to stay healthy and not gain my weight back.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never "diet" (defined in the traditional sense of temporary restrictions to lose weight), but my healthy life-long eating staples are:

almond milk
    brown rice
    oatmeal
    olive oil
    ground turkey
    chicken breast
    spinach
    oranges
    stevia
    trail mix
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This made me laugh.

I'm glad you found humor in this :wink: .To clarify- I'm not restricting the type of food I eat, I'm just learning to not eat as much.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, salmon, sweet potatoes, salad, yogurt, whole grains :)