Massively hungry the day after Cheat Day...

Options
I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue of being rather hungry the day after having your Cheat Day?

AND

What do you do to help curb the day after hunger pangs?

Replies

• SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can't have a cheat day. Because my cheat day turns into a cheat month.

If I get used to eating little..I can eat little.

If I get used to eating a lot...a can't eat little.

I think you are feeling this.
  • NuttyforHealth
    Options
    I ONLY have this if I binge at night... I have realized that I think it is related to my blood sugar and when it spikes an then plummets That is the only thing I can think of! When do you binge and when do you feel hungry?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cheat day.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Usually I feel the same way after my cheat day. I just have an extra protein shake.
    Good luck with your goals!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Actually the only day I ate 1000 over my goal, I wasn't hungry much the next day.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat any day. I eat what I want every day, then when I get to my calorie limit, I stop eating.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm always ravenous the day after a cheat meal. The feeling will pass - you have to remind yourself of your goals and priorities and just power through.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat any day. I eat what I want every day, then when I get to my calorie limit, I stop eating.

I'm not trying to be rude (honestly), but how does this help the original poster? It is great you can go without a cheat day, but we are all different.

To the original poster--I also feel like the more I eat, the more I WANT to eat. Last night I was hungry so I had late night sugary weight watchers red velvet snacks. When I woke up at 5am I was starving. Stupidly I ate sugary special k bfast bars and those mademe hungry. I think what might help on the day after is eating protein and fiber (pretty filling) and limit your sugar/carbs until you get into a balance again. Just my two cents.

Again--I wasn't trying to be rude.
  • phraxathity
    Options
    This hunger day after cheat day is probably caused by Leptine. It's a hormone responsible for hunger. When you on a diet, your
    metabolism is slow and leptine level is low. So when you have a cheat day, you burst your metabolism, and leptine level rises drastically. Next day, leptine level is high, so you feel hungry. That basically explains where hunger comes from.

And as for ways to deal with it, I don't have any :P Just grit your teeth and try to survive.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!! I thought I was the only one.....Dear OP I'm sorry I am in the same boat so I don't have any advice except to provide a sympathetic shoulder from me to you. I would like to ask a question tho.

I was wondering what the other posters think. Could it be that eating a much higher volume of carbohydrates, perhaps in the form of those extra yummy things that we tend to limit more rigorously before and after the "Cheat/Treat Day", sets up a rebound hunger type of experience. If so.....could it be off-set by upping your protein intake alongside the carbohydrates????

Or is it more what the poster mentioning increases in Leptin and metabolism spikes causing the issue.

Please be kind in responding....I'm not trying to start a carb war or anything? Or derail the thread!

Thanks to those who have given the idea of upping the protein for the next day.....will try.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have had that, when I did a cheat day that let me have big (for me) quantities of sweets or carbs or carbs+fat sort of comfort foods. The cravings for them were intense for the next couple of days!

Now I have to watch my blood sugar, so I can't really do the carbs like I'd like, lol. I do eat a bit above maintenance and get nice and full one day a week or so. Interestingly, I'm not hungry the days after. My average weekly calories have gone done without me trying to cut them further! I don't crave anything - quite the opposite.

I can't think of anything else that is different other than my new blood glucose issues. It seems that what I eat on cheat days matters a whole lot to how I feel about food for the next couple of days.
  • ShapenerFiterrati
    ShapenerFiterrati Posts: 111 Member
    Options

^^^ This
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about your cheat day and what foods you ate. I used to eat a small bag of Cheetos out of the work vending machine about once a week (yeah, I know, but I love Cheetos right down to my orange-colored fingertips) and after I while I realized that on that one day I would be RAVENOUSLY hungry by the time I got home where on the days I didn't eat that snack I would be at a normal hunger level at day's end. Think I need to take a trip off to the rest of the Interwebz and see why that was the case...

Edit: Change to "small" bag out of the work vending machine. Not a big ol' bag!
  • phraxathity
    Options
    I'm curious about your cheat day and what foods you ate. I used to eat a bag of Cheetos about once a week (yeah, I know, but I love Cheetos right down to my orange-colored fingertips) and after I while I realized that on that one day I would be RAVENOUSLY hungry by the time I got home where on the days I didn't eat that snack I would be at a normal hunger level at day's end. Think I need to take a trip off to the rest of the Interwebz and see why that was the case...

That's something like Pavlovian reaction. You simply taught your body/brain to react this way. That's the case I guess http://www2.psychology.uiowa.edu/faculty/wasserman/glossary/reflex.html
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this.
    Doctor: So don't do that.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If I mess with what my body is used to, this is a predictable result. Since it is predictable, I get to choose-- 1) don't do the thing causing the hunger, 2) accept that I will have hunger the next day and choose to "cheat" anyway. I usually prefer #1, but if I decide on #2 I try to make sure my protein (and other satiating foods) are high for the hungry day, and exercise to give me more calories to eat back (and keep my mind off the hunger).
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too! I usually just enjoy my cheat day or meal and then i know that the next day i need to get back on track and i usually do. I just eat alot of protein or healthy things that will keep me full and try to have less carbs and sugar.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about your cheat day and what foods you ate. I used to eat a bag of Cheetos about once a week (yeah, I know, but I love Cheetos right down to my orange-colored fingertips) and after I while I realized that on that one day I would be RAVENOUSLY hungry by the time I got home where on the days I didn't eat that snack I would be at a normal hunger level at day's end. Think I need to take a trip off to the rest of the Interwebz and see why that was the case...

That's something like Pavlovian reaction. You simply taught your body/brain to react this way. That's the case I guess http://www2.psychology.uiowa.edu/faculty/wasserman/glossary/reflex.html

If you're suggesting by "Pavlovian" that I'm a dog, you are wrong, I'm quite obviously a cat :tongue:

Kidding aside, I love the information in the study under that link!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't get the point of a cheat day to start with. Who are you cheating and why? If cheating is going way over budget then why bother eating at a deficit? If a cheat day is staying in budget and eating things you like then why not do that every day?
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I get the point of cheat day, for sure. It works for a lot of people. However, for some of us (me), this tends to backfire. I go the entire next day craving bad foods. After I go a couple of weeks without a "cheat" meal I no longer crave one. That said, I have to keep a tighter rope on myself than most, but try doing smaller indulgences on a daily basis to keep yourself "satisfied." I rarely crave anything bad now that I've gone long enough without having any of it.