Massively hungry the day after Cheat Day...

Options

Replies

• jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Let's get away from all the emotional/shaming/"mindset/lifestyle" comments and get logical. Do the math. Noone who is against cheat days on this thread has provided a reason why it is harmful for a person to be at a calorie deficit 6 days of the week and then reset to maintenance or a little above one day a week. If those extra 500-600 calories once a week keeps a dieter going for another week, or 7 or 10 more months instead of quitting, what is the problem and why do you need to convert them to your way of thinking?

I didn't realize we were trying to prove it was harmful? I don't believe anyone has said it was harmful. Just saying there is no reason to have a cheat day if you eat what you want or crave on a daily basis, but if you want to have a "cheat day" then by all means go for it, but don't complain the next day when you feel like your starving because it always happens to you and it's something you have control over by just not doing the cheat day to begin with. It's really a simple fix and that's what we are saying. If you don't have a cheat day then you don't have the day after starving to death feeling, problem solved. See how easy that is

I see your point that one should realize that one of the consequences of having a cheat day is an increased appetite---a side effect of your body's metabolism increasing, which can aid against plateaus----along with a temporary water weight gain from carbs. Then the person can decide if those things are worth the physical and emotional benefits that the cheat day provides, and, if it is worth it, then not complain. I don't think the OP was complaining, just asking if anyone else had this phenomenon (completely normal and scientifically documented hunger due to leptin increases). Others said they did. No reason for anyone to try and make him feel like he is "doing it wrong" by having a cheat day. He didn't ask if he should, he only asked if those who DO take one have the same experience.
  • jehavin
    Options
    This happens to me either. I think it's psychological

It's not psychological...it's physical...it's hormones, namely leptin. When you re-feed you spike your leptin levels...increased leptin levels cue your brain that you are hungry. When you restrict calories your leptin levels tank so you don't feel hungry...essentially why an anorexic can consume very little and claim no hunger and a chronic over-eater is never full. It's all hormones and a physical response to that particular hormone (as well as gherin)

QFT. Thank you for answering the OP's question in a logical manner instead of making him feel like he just needs more "willpower" the day after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Since finding out how many calories i eat in the past few days, I cut out lots of sugar in my coffee, but cheated last night by having a steak for dinner,,, been shaking a lot this morning, So i guess it might be a combo of both, high cal yesterday and low sugar today,

To stop shaking i had to have another snack though. Im still pretty new at this, but i have always been under enormous stress while dieting, i prefer to think of this dieting as a lifetime change in eating habits, but i know its challenging.

How is having a steak cheating? I have at least one steak per week and have easily and successfully lost 40 Lbs. Part of the issue here is people negative relationships with food...categorizing foods as "good" or "bad" like this is not really healthy. A steak is a very good source of protein, dietary fat and iron...all of those things are essential to proper nutrition...yet somehow steak is "cheating"...
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Let's get away from all the emotional/shaming/"mindset/lifestyle" comments and get logical. Do the math. Noone who is against cheat days on this thread has provided a reason why it is harmful for a person to be at a calorie deficit 6 days of the week and then reset to maintenance or a little above one day a week. If those extra 500-600 calories once a week keeps a dieter going for another week, or 7 or 10 more months instead of quitting, what is the problem and why do you need to convert them to your way of thinking?

I didn't realize we were trying to prove it was harmful? I don't believe anyone has said it was harmful. Just saying there is no reason to have a cheat day if you eat what you want or crave on a daily basis, but if you want to have a "cheat day" then by all means go for it, but don't complain the next day when you feel like your starving because it always happens to you and it's something you have control over by just not doing the cheat day to begin with. It's really a simple fix and that's what we are saying. If you don't have a cheat day then you don't have the day after starving to death feeling, problem solved. See how easy that is

I see your point that one should realize that one of the consequences of having a cheat day is an increased appetite---a side effect of your body's metabolism increasing, which can aid against plateaus----along with a temporary water weight gain from carbs. Then the person can decide if those things are worth the physical and emotional benefits that the cheat day provides, and, if it is worth it, then not complain. I don't think the OP was complaining, just asking if anyone else had this phenomenon (completely normal and scientifically documented hunger due to leptin increases). Others said they did. No reason for anyone to try and make him feel like he is "doing it wrong" by having a cheat day. He didn't ask if he should, he only asked if those who DO take one have the same experience.

Very true, but in my head I don't understand why do it if you know what's going to happen. I have long since learned that overeating hurts my stomach, makes me feel yucky. Before doing it didn't bother me and I'd eat till my stomach wanted to revolt and wait till the feeling calmed down and then ate some more, now I know I don't like the feeling so I quit eating before I come close to that feeling, that's what I'm trying to say, if you know this is going to happen then you can prevent it by not doing it. IMO it's not worth it, but it may be worth it to the OP. But when I think about the long term your not learning a lesson, your learning how to work around the lesson so you can continue on.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show you the addictive properties that are in some foods. Check out a presentation by Dr. Fuhrman on what he calls "toxic hunger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVrRfm9U2I
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well, first this.
    I don't cheat any day. I eat what I want every day, then when I get to my calorie limit, I stop eating.

Then all of this.
    the hormone leptin controls your hunger cues. When you diet your leptin levels decrease...basically an evolutionary response to protect from the discomforts of famine and general lack of food. When you eat more your leptin levels increase...so when you have a cheat you temporarily increase your leptin levels and therefore are hungrier. Essentially, this is why anorexics and people with other eating disorders can eat so little and claim not to be hungry...they're not...because their leptin levels are in the tank. Conversely, this is why obese individuals can seemingly eat and eat and eat without being full...there leptin levels are high and constantly signaling hunger cues.

I don't have a cheat day per sei, but I do a refeed every couple of weeks when I'm dieting. It is controlled and deliberate though, not a random cheat to do whatever. I re-feed in order to deliberately spike my leptin levels and make my metabolism crank it out.

Then.....
    Noone who is against cheat days on this thread has provided a reason why it is harmful for a person to be at a calorie deficit 6 days of the week and then reset to maintenance or a little above one day a week.
    Well the OP feels it's harmful in causing hunger the next day. Thus the reason for this thread. (DUH)

OP, it may be possible that your deficit is too aggressive thus you have a deprivation mentality and you are using a cheat day to be "allowed" a little relief. This is then causing the hunger problem. Maybe a lower deficit that doesn't create the deprivation mentality would help. It is a longer but possibly more sustainable road to your goal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show you the addictive properties that are in some foods. Check out a presentation by Dr. Fuhrman on what he calls "toxic hunger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVrRfm9U2I
    Nope. Totally false. Did you miss the part about leptin cwolfman13 posted or is it a reading comprehension issue. How about some real science instead of pseudo science from the land of woo.
  • jehavin
    Options

Very true, but in my head I don't understand why do it if you know what's going to happen. I have long since learned that overeating hurts my stomach, makes me feel yucky. Before doing it didn't bother me and I'd eat till my stomach wanted to revolt and wait till the feeling calmed down and then ate some more, now I know I don't like the feeling so I quit eating before I come close to that feeling, that's what I'm trying to say, if you know this is going to happen then you can prevent it by not doing it. IMO it's not worth it, but it may be worth it to the OP. But when I think about the long term your not learning a lesson, your learning how to work around the lesson so you can continue on.

I think I need to reemphasize that, to me, (and the OP I assumed based on his post) a cheat day is maintenance calories or a little above. I think you are referencing an unplanned binge, where one has no control, which is indeed a misuse of a true cheat day and would definitely be a bad mentality. A maintenance cheat day wouldn't make anyone sick, just feel truly full, (a nice break for your body, which is under stress from a continued calorie deficit) which might be hard to jump back into a deficit the next day, as is obviously the case, but it's similar to taking a "gym break" every couple months---it's good to give your body a rest even if it is hard to get back on the wagon. When I referenced almost getting sick from carbs, I was talking about a refeed, which is much less often and around double the normal carbs, which would make anyone who is carb-sensitive a little sick, but totally worth the results of not plateauing or inadvertently doing metabolism damage by dieting too long.

Obviously you have had great success with whatever method you have used, but for some people (myself included) a cheat day is key to sustaining weight loss both mentally and physically, as science seems to favor giving the body and metabolism a planned break from the stress of dieting.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue of being rather hungry the day after having your Cheat Day?

AND

What do you do to help curb the day after hunger pangs?

I don't do cheat days because I'm not on a diet. I just allow myself to have what I want when I want and work hard to stay within my calorie limits. Sometimes I go over, like yesterday, but I will make up for it in exercise today.

I never feel massively hungry, but I don't eat a lot of sugar either, which in large quantities would make me feel very hungry.

I'd suggest just eating normally today and drinking loads of water.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Me too friend, me too, the only way to stop and get back on the wagon for me to read and read read peoples success stories and keep my hands busy. I also have biggest loser on sky plus and watch that while catching up on my ironing there is always loads of ironing at my house. I also have some magazines from slimming world so will actively seek other peoples success. I Just eating up to my total but honestly I wish I could stop cheating because then I wouldn't have to bother trying my best to not be bothered by being narky all day. Other things I have tried include going to bed!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue of being rather hungry the day after having your Cheat Day?

AND

What do you do to help curb the day after hunger pangs?
    I'm like this sometimes. I like to call it "treat day" cause i don't see it as cheating if i've been good all week and earnt that day off lol but yeah, i have my treat day every Saturday and today i am that little bit hungrier as you say so i just allow myself a little of what i'm cravig as a come down sort of thing instead of risking a full on binge. Like i'm litterally about to have a small 240cal bar of dairymilk and that will do the trick for me.
  • FauxFawkes
    FauxFawkes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First, it's very normal to have hunger the day following a larger calories\ general food intake day, especially if this is the start of your journey. Unfortunately, this may indicate that your diet days are not giving you the sustenance your body requires - for example, if you're under a certain amount of calories per day for a long period of time, your body can go into "starvation mode". When you break that mode, and then return, your body can send out an alarm when you start going back because it remembers what's happened (not getting the nutrients and energy it needs) and is warning you to attempt to stop that process.

Helping to curb the hunger pangs can come in multiple different forms. My biggest suggestion is water - drink it, drink it, drink it! A glass every hour can really help to curb the feeling of hunger, especially because sometimes "hunger" is actually "thirst". Other dieting options are chewing sugar-free gum or tea leaves, or controlling your portions to have six small meals that day, to assure your body you are going to be feeding it.

Lastly, don't listen to people telling you not to take a cheat day. Taking a cheat day, especially on a diet (which is different from a clean eating lifestyle), can boost your morale, keep you on your diet longer, and actually keeps your metabolism higher, since you're varying the calorie and nutrient intake (which keeps your metabolism on its toes!).

Hope this helps! Happy journeying!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I don't cheat any day. I eat what I want every day, then when I get to my calorie limit, I stop eating.

I'm not trying to be rude (honestly), but how does this help the original poster? It is great you can go without a cheat day, but we are all different.

It would hopefully help the OP to understand not to rely on "cheat days" (which are a ridiculous sentiment anyway for reasons already stated) as part of a health regime. Eating a similar amount each day prevents your body spiking insulin, and making your sugar levels excessively fluctuate.

It might help the OP research what I'm talking about, and stop thinking in the mindset of a "diet", and more of a "lifestyle".

Cheat meals and days are not ridiculous. If you don't understand it, don't comment. In the confines of this thread, if the OP cannot control it, then it may not be a good idea. For some people, a cheat day or meal is a good way to let go. It has some really great advantages. It helps with the restrictions knowing that you can cut some slack very soon. It helps to have a day to relax. Most people pick a weekend day. Maybe that's your date night, or a day out with friends watching football at a favorite bar with good friends and beer and hot wings. Nothing wrong with being a normal person and not worrying and obsessing about food.

I think if you took a normal person and told them what you do with food logging, they would call all of us insane. It is a bit over the top. So, the idea of not worrying for a meal or a day is fine, if you can control it afterwards.

Also, don't lose sight that a cheat meal or day is not an all out complete loss of control. It's just a bit above and beyond, but not a total freak out. That's is not at all what it is supposed to be. If normally you might have one slice of pizza, maybe on your cheat you have 2 or 3, and that's it. It's not about eating the whole pizza. That is not the idea. It's about relaxing the standard for a short time. Not an all out calorie binge.

And, this "if you don't understand it, don't comment on it" is ridiculous in and of itself. :wink: Everybody is free to comment whether they "believe" in "cheat days" or not.

The point is that no food is good or bad, diet is just a mentality, and why not just eat what you want within your calorie goal, log it in, and just move on? Or, why not just eat more than your calorie goal that day and just log it in and move on?

Overeating is not the problem, unless you overeat to the point of making yourself sick. The terminology cheat day/meal is the problem.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Since finding out how many calories i eat in the past few days, I cut out lots of sugar in my coffee, but cheated last night by having a steak for dinner,,, been shaking a lot this morning, So i guess it might be a combo of both, high cal yesterday and low sugar today,

To stop shaking i had to have another snack though. Im still pretty new at this, but i have always been under enormous stress while dieting, i prefer to think of this dieting as a lifetime change in eating habits, but i know its challenging.

How is having a steak cheating? I have at least one steak per week and have easily and successfully lost 40 Lbs. Part of the issue here is people negative relationships with food...categorizing foods as "good" or "bad" like this is not really healthy. A steak is a very good source of protein, dietary fat and iron...all of those things are essential to proper nutrition...yet somehow steak is "cheating"...

Having any food is not cheating. I'll eat that steak any day.

It really is about a negative relationship with food. No food is good or bad.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This happens to me either. I think it's psychological

It's not psychological...it's physical...it's hormones, namely leptin. When you re-feed you spike your leptin levels...increased leptin levels cue your brain that you are hungry. When you restrict calories your leptin levels tank so you don't feel hungry...essentially why an anorexic can consume very little and claim no hunger and a chronic over-eater is never full. It's all hormones and a physical response to that particular hormone (as well as gherin)

Anorexics stomaches shrinken either, plus yes, they get used to it, but it's a myth that anorexics don't feel hunger.
    Your answer though doesn't really constrast mine, because I've said that it might be psychological, not imaginary. It's our brain that controls hormones levels, so yeah physical responses can be affected by the mind.
    I wouldn't honestly know if anyone feels the same because of hormones, but actually, to me it's *always* psychological, because I'm constantly thinking about eating BUT on a diet. I'm not saying it works the same for everyone, but you can never forget the psychological side of being on a diet.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I'm not trying to be rude (honestly), but how does this help the original poster? It is great you can go without a cheat day, but we are all different.

It would hopefully help the OP to understand not to rely on "cheat days" (which are a ridiculous sentiment anyway for reasons already stated) as part of a health regime. Eating a similar amount each day prevents your body spiking insulin, and making your sugar levels excessively fluctuate.

It might help the OP research what I'm talking about, and stop thinking in the mindset of a "diet", and more of a "lifestyle".

Cheat meals and days are not ridiculous. If you don't understand it, don't comment. In the confines of this thread, if the OP cannot control it, then it may not be a good idea. For some people, a cheat day or meal is a good way to let go. It has some really great advantages. It helps with the restrictions knowing that you can cut some slack very soon. It helps to have a day to relax. Most people pick a weekend day. Maybe that's your date night, or a day out with friends watching football at a favorite bar with good friends and beer and hot wings. Nothing wrong with being a normal person and not worrying and obsessing about food.

I think if you took a normal person and told them what you do with food logging, they would call all of us insane. It is a bit over the top. So, the idea of not worrying for a meal or a day is fine, if you can control it afterwards.

Also, don't lose sight that a cheat meal or day is not an all out complete loss of control. It's just a bit above and beyond, but not a total freak out. That's is not at all what it is supposed to be. If normally you might have one slice of pizza, maybe on your cheat you have 2 or 3, and that's it. It's not about eating the whole pizza. That is not the idea. It's about relaxing the standard for a short time. Not an all out calorie binge.

And, this "if you don't understand it, don't comment on it" is ridiculous in and of itself. :wink: Everybody is free to comment whether they "believe" in "cheat days" or not.

The point is that no food is good or bad, diet is just a mentality, and why not just eat what you want within your calorie goal, log it in, and just move on? Or, why not just eat more than your calorie goal that day and just log it in and move on?

Overeating is not the problem, unless you overeat to the point of making yourself sick. The terminology cheat day/meal is the problem.

Again, you don't understand the concept, so why are you in this thread? You don't get it. Go google it and learn. There are awesome benefits from people that do it properly. You didn't read what I said or you would not have commented the way you did.

Excuse me? :laugh: :laugh:

How about some common sense here? :wink:

There really is no reason to "cheat" when it comes to a dietary plan. Just eat what you want when you want within whatever your calorie goals are. If you go over, just as ALL people do at one time or another, then you go over. You log it in and move on. That doesn't make it cheating, it makes YOU and ME human. Get it?

To me, "cheat day" or a "cheat meal," which is why I've held my ground in this thread. Besides this, the only one who makes the rules is the person cheating. Maybe you eating a slice of apple is not cheating, but it is to another person.

In the real world, cheating is stealing from someone or looking over someone's should during a test and copying their answers.

In the "dieting" world, "cheating" is a mindset.

And, yes I did read your reply.
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    REFEEDING not cheating ...