The best dog breed for a child?

Options
13»

Replies

• erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been involved in dog rescue for over 20 years and it's really about the temperament of the individual dog more than anything. The most bites were from dogs who were made anxious by the loudness and high activity level of children. Look for a dog that loves to be right in the middle of the fray, not one that shies away from it. Breeds from the retrieving and herding groups are usually the best bet, but again - it's the individual that matters. The worst dogs with kids I've seen are the sight hound and toy groups.

And I know people will jump on me for this, but I wouldn't put a mastiff/molosser type with little kids and small dog. You always have to acknowledge and respect what a dog was bred to do. Generally speaking dogs will express their gene characteristics whether you teach them to or not. Pointers are going to point, herders are going to herd, and fighters are gonna fight.

This makes sense to me.

Our dog is a chocolate lab and she is great with every person she's ever met. She barks at the UPS delivery driver but wags her tail too. When I walk her around the lake she thinks every other dog and every other human being is her friend. The only caveat is that "working breeds" like labradors do need exercise. If you are not going to take them for walks, then you should probably find a person to walk the dog or find a doggie daycare to wear out your dog regularly; otherwise they will find things to exercise with at home by chewing on stuff, et cetera.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    is the dog going to be a surprise dog? or is the boy going to be involved in selecting the dog?
    I'd consider using the AKC website for insights on breed temperments and please bear in mind that this dog will probably have to be good with other 7 years olds as well (i.e. strangers!) since this boy is at an age where they are in grade school and will have friends around. I love my Kuvasz for example but wouldn't recommend one for a boy who is likely to be introducing the dog to new friends and such.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Is the adult prepared to walk, insure, feed and pay the dog's vet bills when the child loses interest in the Christmas dog?

Serious question and not trying to be nasty at all. It's just there is nothing more heart-breaking than a rescue dog going back into rescue kennels because his/her new home didn't work out.

(dog rescue volunteer)

Thank you for posting this!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Especially with a rescue, I expect it does very depend on the dog and the life it's had.

On the bits - believe poodles are worst for giving bites and lots of other little dogs are high up.
    Of course one reason is that owners don't seem to bother to train them because they don't do so much damage - while I've made a good effort training my 100lb Rottweiler/St Bernard cross. He's still not great with other dogs, but will walk to heal and while he's really friendly with people, will now generally only be friendly when I let him (as some people are not so appreciative of 100lb jumping up to say hello :) )
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Boxer, puppy or adopted adult. They are very gentle and great with kids! Big lap dogs, vey smart, very loving.:happy:
  • MANDallasTX
    Options
    Animal Planet's Dog 101 has a Dog Breed Selection questionnaire. http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We have 2 pugs and a 2 year old son.

My son, Dominick, LOVES them and they will cuddle up with him and let him tug their ears. They are TERRIFIC with youngsters, even strangers' kids.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had the most adorable Springer Spaniel that we raised from a puppy. He didn't come from a shelter, but he hated all kids, except my son, his brother. He was so cute that people would want to pet him. But he was mean as hell and would bite. It just depends on the dog.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    IMO a Lab is the best breed all around.

Or retriever
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i grew up with a german shepherd mix. sweet dog and since he was a herder he always seemed to be around when i was near steps sorta blocking me from the steps.

also i remember being able to constantly hit him in the face with a pillow and him not get sick of it and try and eat me :laugh:

worse dog : chihuahua . many people in my family had those and those dogs were always yippy and skittish enough to snap. even the ones who liked me wouldnt let other people near me (ie my parents hahaha) when she was around
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Pitty mixes are universally tolerant and withstand a lot of kid abuse (my niece would grab my pits lips to pull herself to standing before we could react-Rogue always smooched her at the top).

But really-tge most unidentifiable mutts are usually the healthiest.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ETA: Conversely, give the child a card that says "Surprise! We're getting another dog!" and take the child with you to pick one out and adopt. Some shelters won't adopt out animals around the holidays.

I love this idea!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    probably wouldn't be a rescue, but our cockapoo is awesome with my son!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Golden Retriever!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ETA: Conversely, give the child a card that says "Surprise! We're getting another dog!" and take the child with you to pick one out and adopt. Some shelters won't adopt out animals around the holidays.

I love this idea!

I like this idea too.

If your home is like BinaryPulsar's it would probably be fine to bring a new dog home on Christmas. But if it's like my house-- tons of people and excited kids and lots of activity-- it'd be better to wait until the chaos is over.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    German Shepherd!!! Smart, loyal, active, and very good with people and kids. If you get them as a pup and bring them up you wont ever have to worry about anything with him around.

Agreed, I have had three of them and my current girl is as sweet as can be. They are not an entry level dog like a Lab though. They need you to spend time with them and to work with them for the first couple of years. (although what dog doesnt?)
    Once you have done that you will have a very special companion.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Is the adult prepared to walk, insure, feed and pay the dog's vet bills when the child loses interest in the Christmas dog?

Serious question and not trying to be nasty at all. It's just there is nothing more heart-breaking than a rescue dog going back into rescue kennels because his/her new home didn't work out.

(dog rescue volunteer)

Thank you for posting this!

^^^^ Very important.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your friend for rescuing a dog. I have rescued three and have been successful.

In addition to the advice you got about the DOG, you also need to train the kid to handle the dog. Have him take the dog to obedience class, even if the DOG already knows.

I always rescue large breed dogs (70-100lbs), much bigger than my 20-30 lb kids. The kids feed the dog and can take food from the current dog, but know that they are not ever supposed to do it. They never wake him up when he's sleeping and to generally respect that he's an animal that came from unknown conditions.

We've had him for 2 months and have only had minor jumping incidences. They know not to cry b/c they were playing with him. They also know that if they leave a stuffed animal or toy on the floor, it's fair game to be chewed by the dog.

Temperament really plays into the right dog more than breed. I want athletic dogs to run with me, but they're not good at being "house dogs". She should let the rescue know her lifestyle and what she expects from the dog and let them suggest the right dog.