Looking for support from those in 50s and 60s

Options

Replies

• PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can add me, too. I'm sixty-something and am a retread here. I lost 28 lbs, left MFP and gained it plus some. OUCH. Sooo, I'm back to what worked before - recording my food and supporting others. Let's do this!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I'm 55 and have been on the site every day since I joined in Sept. 2012.
    For my one-year anniversary here, I posted my "how I did it" story at
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095703-mfp-1-year-anniversary
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Welcome.... we can help....
  • Chubby465
    Options
    Hi, I'm new today. I was doing WW on-line but I had a bad health year (two surgeries and severe asthma attacks) that killed my desire to stay on that site. So, I'm going to try this. I know what to do to get the weight off, it's just doing it. It's not going to be an easy road at 66, but I'm going to give it a good attempt. I look around and see so many overweight women and I don't want to be that over weight Grandmother just sitting in a corner unable to move out of my own way. Please keep me in your thoughts as I do battle with the muffin tops. :happy:
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!! Add me as a friend!!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome to add me. I've been on here for a while and am currently at goal. Myfitnesspal is s wonderful website and I'm sure you'll receive lots of support here! Nice to have you with us!
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Day 6...today will be a challenge. Taking day off fromexercise, so no extra calories today. I do plan on walking at least 10,000 steps. Any ideas?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lou, I just now found this section and I'm looking for new friends to share my journey, I'm probably the oldest lady on here, I'm 76 and have battled the bulge all of my life but can't seem to get it right, however, Im not a quitter. I would absolutely love to have some friends to be accountable rather than do this alone, would someone please take me under their wing? I presently walk five miles daily but at this age, that's about all I can do, my mind tells me to do other things but my body says otherwise!
    Lou

Hi Lou. I just sent you a friend request. I'm a 5'3" woman, age 59, also walk for exercise, and have lost about 50 pounds this year. I've gone down from being in the 180s to 136 pounds, mostly by walking and cutting the junk food. MFP has inspired me to add more quality to my life, like walks in nature and experimenting with new food.

I welcome all new friends. I log in daily, but I went back to college last year and am heading into final paper/final exam week, so I will be less active here until after Dec. 10.
  • mwhite61451
    Options
    So...this is day 7. It has been a great first week. Lost 10 lbs. Worked out every day. I get the motivation from you. Thanks...BTW, did the stairmaster today...not easy!
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have done WW before too. Look me up I will accept your friend request.
  • HeyJudeismyname
    Options
    Welcome...Ii have been on this site about 6 weeks and I have lost 9 pounds. I had been on WW before and I actually like this site better. WW allows you "free" foods to eat but the free isn't really free, especially fruits!
    I think this site has a great data base and I can find almost everything I eat on it. It will even let you put in recipes and compute the caloric values. It will save recipes and any food you have eaten for that meal alphabetically so after a few weeks it is quick to enter in your calories. I go over on my protein too and sometimes my carbs. I think I will have to wait another week before I weigh in again, I tried to be good over Thanksgiving but I did gain a couple of pounds. This is a hard time of the year to lose weight!
  • mcgeesmith
    mcgeesmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and been using the site for about 10 months, more aggressively for the last 4. Happy with the 38 I've lost but tons to go.

I too have tried WW in the past, but like someone said, I like all the data this gives you.

Added a Fitbit this week, which integrates nicely with MyFitnessPal.

I find if you keep recording, you will lose. Good luck!
  • mwhite61451
    Options
    My first week ended yesterday. Met all of the goals set for the week, and lost 7 lbs doing it. Biggest thing for me was no processed sugar...I'm a sugar addict, among other things.

Best thing, though, is finding out how many others, over 50 are succeeding...never saw that in WW. Very powerful motivator!!

Join us in this adventure
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    Only 41 here but always looking for inspirational people! I joined MFP in Jan of 2013 for about a month but had a stupid moment that lasted a couple of months :ohwell: Been back everyday since mid-July and looking to get it right this time. Feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • pmrkvc
    pmrkvc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my second day! Really love using this! Former WW and 52! :happy:
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There are scripts/extensions for chrome browser that may show what you want.
    May be for other browsers as well.
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support. I'm in your age group.:smile:
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    52 and losing slowly but surely :)
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have Fitness pals as well, am 55, have lost 65 and want to lose around 85 more. I am working out at the Y and am taking my test to become a personal trainer. I do pretty good at the exercise part but struggle with the food part. You can add me.
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and have done all the programs .I'm finding that if you just stick with it the weight will come off ,just not as fast as we would like. I don't really worry about going over on the protein and sugar as much if I know they are healthy sources.You can eat two fruits a day and that will put you over sugar ,but i don't think of fruit as a bad thing.Now i do look at sodium and fat and try to stay under.Just try to keep your calories where they should be.