How Do You Define "Junk Food"?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Junk food = irrational fear of food

This is simply untrue.

Thinking that any food by itself will cause poor health is irrational. It's a fear that's exhibited by the term 'junk food'.

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

These are commonly associated with the label junk food among many others. They aren't. They're just food. Some are more nutrient sparse than others and they tend to be calorie dense but there's no reason that an intelligent, rational person can incorporate them into their diet if they want to and still maintain excellent physical health. Maybe even their mental health will excel as well since they won't be getting anxious about any foods unlike their counterparts who spend their time worrying about whether or not they are putting potentially health ruining junk into their bodies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thinking that any food by itself will cause poor health is irrational. It's a fear that's exhibited by the term 'junk food'.

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

These are commonly associated with the label junk food among many others. They aren't. They're just food. Some are more nutrient sparse than others and they tend to be calorie dense but there's no reason that an intelligent, rational person can incorporate them into their diet if they want to and still maintain excellent physical health. Maybe even their mental health will excel as well since they won't be getting anxious about any foods unlike their counterparts who spend their time worrying about whether or not they are putting potentially health ruining junk into their bodies.
    With the exception of the OP I haven't seen anyone say anything like what you're suggesting. No one has said this, or implied this. Suggesting that folks are somehow BETTER for eating junk food is kinda silly, but no one has said it can't/isn't incorporated. Have they? (other than the OP again)
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask if it's junk.... then it probably is.:grumble:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Junk food = irrational fear of food

This is simply untrue.

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

That's fine. You have the right to your opinion. I don't think of junk food as a food that causes poor health. Like I said, I look at junk food just like the definition from Oxford stated it. The definition says nothing of causing poor health. I look at it as food that needs to be monitored a bit more closely than other types of foods such as broccoli, apples, almonds....basically any food that wouldn't be stereotypically consider "junk". Can a person get fat off of too many fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts...etc? Of course they can, but you don't hear of that happening all too often. At least I sure don't. You tell me....what is the likely hood that a child is going to eat over his TDEE in bananas? Now, how often are they going to go over their TDEE eating Oatmeal Cream Pies (My Favorite)? I think that answers itself. Everyone here seems to forget that just because we all watch what we eat now that most of America doesn't and that a lot of those adults that don't pay attention have children who also don't pay attention or ever learn. So they just eat away at "junk" food cause it's cheap, it tastes good, and if applicable, it's what their kids want, too. Obviously, it would be better if the entire country would learn how to eat healthy and sustainable, but we know that is going to happen. So while I understand that everything can be eaten in moderation and I do eat junk food, as I don't associate it as a negative term cause I have learned what a healthy diet is in my opinion, I am also just fine continuing to call in junk food as I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

With the exception of the OP I haven't seen anyone say anything like what you're suggesting. No one has said this, or implied this. Suggesting that folks are somehow BETTER for eating junk food is kinda silly, but no one has said it can't/isn't incorporated. Have they? (other than the OP again)

nobody says eating "junk food" (your term, not mine) makes them better than anyone else. we do say that it makes this whole process easier if you understand that no foods are necessarily off limits. the easier all of this is, the more likely somebody will be successful in the short term and the long term.

conversely, there are many people who follow exclusionary diets who do puff out their chests and tell others that they are better for doing so. the clean/paleo/primal crowd is a good example. they legitimately believe that restricting their diets to a limited set of choices means that they will be healthier and live longer than those who don't. they are very smug about this belief. if they had any science to back that up, their message would be better received, but they don't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

nobody says eating "junk food" (your term, not mine) makes them better than anyone else. we do say that it makes this whole process easier if you understand that no foods are necessarily off limits. the easier all of this is, the more likely somebody will be successful in the short term and the long term.

conversely, there are many people who follow exclusionary diets who do puff out their chests and tell others that they are better for doing so. the clean/paleo/primal crowd is a good example. they legitimately believe that restricting their diets to a limited set of choices means that they will be healthier and live longer than those who don't. they are very smug about this belief. if they had any science to back that up, their message would be better received, but they don't.
    Actually, the fellow I quoted did just that.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

That would be silly if that's what I'd said. Since that's not what I said, I suggest you stop implying and adding information to my post that didn't exist.

Also, my post was in response to the op not anyone else. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that my post was directed at you or your mind's ability misinterpret other people's posts.

Let me clear it up for you (and this one is directed at you). People who eat 'junk' food aren't better than people who chose not to. They are just people who don't feel the need to attribute ridiculous terms to food. They are just people who eat food. They don't feel superior for their choices in food and they don't feel the need to tell other people that what they are eating is junk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Pop tarts
    Twinkles
    Salad dressing
    The McDonalds Menu

That would be silly if that's what I'd said. Since that's not what I said, I suggest you stop implying and adding information to my post that didn't exist.

Also, my post was in response to the op not anyone else. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that my post was directed at you or your mind's ability misinterpret other people's posts.

Let me clear it up for you (and this one is directed at you). People who eat 'junk' food aren't better than people who chose not to. They are just people who don't feel the need to attribute ridiculous terms to food. They are just people who eat food. They don't feel superior for their choices in food and they don't feel the need to tell other people that what they are eating is junk.
    Thanks for clarifying. I was basing my comment on this:
    Maybe even their mental health will excel as well since they won't be getting anxious about any foods unlike their counterparts who spend their time worrying about whether or not they are putting potentially health ruining junk into their bodies.

I didn't think you were speaking to me (in your original post) thus the reason I referred to the thread as a whole, and the OP specifically.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm better than people who don't eat junk food.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me, "junk" food is anything I eat that makes it difficult to balance my macros inside my calorie target.
    I like you.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    "A fictitious label placed on a food to erroneously suggest that said food is somehow deleterious to ones health".
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value

What foods have no nutritional value?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Junk Food - noun: any edible item once considered food that is found in a garbage can, dumpster, or other refuse container
  • TCD01
    TCD01 Posts: 25
    Options
    Anything that the FDA says is good for me I'll stay away from. Money buys a food's healthy status in USA! Just stick to organic meats n veggies n you'll be free of any "junk food"
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Anything that the FDA says is good for me I'll stay away from. Money buys a food's healthy status in USA! Just stick to organic meats n veggies n you'll be free of any "junk food"
    But the FDA says organic meat and veggies are good for you... Nothing can be labeled organic without USDA approval.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just read the OPs profile and now understand where this post comes from. Zealotry.

To say oil on a salad is "junk food" is completely ridiculous. I don't find it necessary to back that up with any kind of argument because, well, duh!

I guess my question to the OP is, why do you care what anyone else thinks "junk food" is? Personally, I never post on the forums asking people to look at my diary and advise me or tell me what I am doing "wrong." I don't need the validation of strangers to get through the day.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'd like to say I disagree that oil on a salad is "junk food". But on the other hand, I also think its silly to say that no "junk food" exists. There are plenty of foods that people enjoy and like and eat, simply because IT TASTES GOOD, not for any other reason. I love Krispy Kreme donuts, the glazed ones, hot and fresh. Are they junk food? YES. But I will occasionally indulge and enjoy them.

I think the point is that some foods are made for the pure enjoyment, such as pies, cakes, etc. People eat for PLEASURE. I think it's also silly to say that calling this food "junk" is somehow demonizing it. I my opinion, it doesn't.

It's not like that label is new, or that a few over zealous MFP users made it up, its been around for years, I mean seriously, have we become so PC that we can't call junk food "junk food"??? Come on, people. It doesn't mean we cut all "junk food" out of our diets. Most just have to monitor their treats or "junk food". I even have a category for my "junk food". Its my evening snacks/treats.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    But the FDA says organic meat and veggies are good for you... Nothing can be labeled organic without USDA approval.

tumblr_lmhjcvHNao1qewg7lo1_250.gif
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    Junk foods are high in fat, sugar, sodium, which causes obesity and a range of attendant health problems. Junk food is very tastier than healthy food so that why we love junk food. Junk food affect your energy level as well as it contributed in your poor performance and obesity. Eating too much junk food can make you uncomfortable.

Angelica

UltraLifeShop